Author Topic: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion  (Read 54933 times)

Re: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion
I would love to see some apology.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well, nice job, 2 Admins less operating an understaffed site, the whole Global Mod group and the remaining admins should be fired due to proven incompetence but a bunch of PolDisc asshats got rid of some people that disagreed on

What a beautiful day for HLP~

What a sad, yet accurate description of the latest events.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
This entire fiasco is just another one for the "Effed up things that happened in 2020" category. .

I hope to everything that Axem comes back.  :sigh:
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Say what you want about the latest events, but anyone who has some experience, or the long view of things, will know that this was the chemotherapy the board needed.

Yeah, it'll kill your immune system, and that needs to be built back up properly (hopefully the mods and admins will re-organize a bit more efficiently after this fiasco), but the cancer that was killing the host for years is finally gone.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I would go so far as to say the attitude of "there's no problem, let's not have drama, conflict is bad" is what let things build up to this point.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I, too, would like to have Axem back. I've reached out but have no idea if there is any chance.

Now, we have a slightly reduced moderation crew (who have jobs and/or are sleeping) and I see, though have no chance to action, moderation reports popping up.

This entire fiasco has been an enormous hurt within the community, and I am pleading with you all to:

1. Stop gloating.
2.  Stop piling on, and
3.  Be civil.

batts made a pretty good post along those lines a page-ish back (on phone, can't easily check).

If you can't say anything civilly or decently, resist the urge to comment. Otherwise, this thread will get the temporary lock until the remaining staff have the ability to actually moderate it.

Thanks in advance
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
[...]
Yeah, it'll kill your immune system, and that needs to be built back up properly (hopefully the mods and admins will re-organize a bit more efficiently after this fiasco), but the cancer that was killing the host for years is finally gone.

Nailed it. People assuming this place will be better after this "fiasco", yet proof seems to be lacking. What are we going to get? An improved FSO code? More campaigns? More mods and TCs? Glorious scripts? The only benefit is see here is the supposed reduction of the odds of GD/PD discussions degenerating into something far worse. And it's completely unrelated to the core targets of this community. Also, the staff lost several skilled members and we have no idea who's going to replace them.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
[...]

Nailed it. People assuming this place will be better after this "fiasco", yet proof seems to be lacking. What are we going to get? An improved FSO code? More campaigns? More mods and TCs? Glorious scripts? The only benefit is see here is the supposed reduction of the odds of GD/PD discussions degenerating into something far worse. And it's completely unrelated to the core targets of this community. Also, the staff lost several skilled members and we have no idea who's going to replace them.

Yeah, and I agreed with Sandwich. These decisions, while necessary in my opinion, do actually run counter to HLP's ethos, "bringing modders together". This drove competent modders away. Now, the reason for that, sure, you let this fester for years without addressing it, and now it came to bite everyone in the ass.

But there's no denying, this is overall a loss for all of us, even though a part of a longstanding problem was solved.

Offline Luis Dias

I personally hope that the diagnosis of a harmful state of affairs on HLP was correctly made, without error, and that the site may heal in time. From the small things us second-class citizens are allowed to peek, I'm not entirely hopeful, but still pray for it. I sincerely hope you made the right calls, and also hope that all the grudges that may still exist be sufficiently small and die of boredom.

Good luck for all.

Offline Lorric

I certainly feel there is more to discuss regarding the future of HLP even if Goober and Sandwich are to remain stripped to the ranks. The talking mustn't end with that. That post from Axem that was put in here was about much more than Goober, and I've never seen him so scathing before. I'm sure serious business went down to make him say that, and we can't just let that lie. Especially if he felt it was so bad as to actually leave rather than simply pull out of the staff.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Axem judged his fellows harshly, with good reason, but something had to give. It was increasingly evident that there was no way to resolve this with just agreeing to disagree, which is the way things have been resolved for the past fifteen years, leading to this.

It was either going to be HLP led by Goober and Sandwich, or not.

But yes. Some protocols and procedures on how to do things would not be bad to develop. Maybe some kind of a... democratic manner in handling things? Like, when all admins were against two, the result should have been clear. Out you go by democratic process.

But some operated under the auspices they can never do anything wrong, that they were benevolent rules and dictators, and had permanent standing that could never be questioned.

Maybe change some things.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
In concurrence with MP-Ryan:

There is nothing to gloat about. Retaining civility is still key.

I'm personally of the opinion that this thread is no longer necessary for open discussion -as defined by the topic-; but I'll await the feedback of others for a consensus.

I get that this is still something that is of viable conversation; especially going forward.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Lorric

There's gonna be a statement from Karajorma though. I think we should have the opportunity to respond to that. Unless he wants to open up a new thread with it instead.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Just finished a 350 mile drive.

FFS...... Axem.....
F :sigh:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Yeah, it's probably best to be done with this thread. I think we beat this horse to death.

Karajorma can open a new one with the statement about things proceeding forward. Maybe the community can give some input on that, and then you guys can take the community feedback, and behind closed doors, decide what you think might be best to do as we all move on from this.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Sure, this thread can go, it "served" its "purpose". What a sad day for the FreeSpace community.  :(
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This was a good thing for FreeSpace, and a rare win for 'doing the right thing' over 'sitting on our hands and fretting about civility'.

I'd offer to be a mod and help pick up the slack, but I don't have enough time to commit.
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
I'd similarly also offer my services wherever I can, though my knowledge with web coding is rather... limited. I do have a lot of time to sift through many many posts at least (since I always have HLP open on a tab nearby)
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
This was a good thing for FreeSpace, and a rare win for 'doing the right thing' over 'sitting on our hands and fretting about civility'.

I beg to differ.

All arguments in favor of this being a good thing for FreeSpace modding are merely conjectural and driven by emotions. Those like me who think the opposite just happened are providing actual proof that it's bad. The staff's down three active members, for instance, and we have no idea who's going to replace them; this is going to have direct consequences on the way the site is managed (where by site I mean HLP as a whole, not the GD/PD trash).
The Lightblue Ribbon