Author Topic: Questions about Discord moderation  (Read 9343 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Questions about Discord moderation
Three full pages of philosophical apologetics on the meaning behind that definition and its supposed implications in the modern world, yet people are still missing the main point I was trying to make before the thread got split: there are offenses written on that Discord channel which pass(ed) unnoticed. And I'm talking about pure offenses, words with little-to-no room for interpretations implying otherwise.

Use the Discord search function and look for yourselves.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Secondly, while I also have my own personal gripes with The E (mostly on political grounds, and yes, I'm trying to distance myself from these as much as I can), I just need to ask everyone (including The E himself): do you think The E's moderation standards have changed over the course of the last couple years?

They absolutely have. I used to be much more willing to engage in "tone policing": trying to get people to stop saying the ****ing bad words. I stepped away from that because a) I do, on occasion, engage in some bloody profanity, and b) because someone using swear words isn't nearly as detrimental to good discussion culture as passive-aggressive sniping, endlessly dragged out grudges, JAQing off or any number of rhetorical techniques that maintain a veneer of respectability to hide a core of toxicity are.
Now, I do not intend to claim that my record is spotless in this regard: I have, absolutely, engaged in all of these behaviours at one time or another. I do not claim to be free of sin and trust others to tell me when I step over the line.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Three full pages of philosophical apologetics on the meaning behind that definition and its supposed implications in the modern world, yet people are still missing the main point I was trying to make before the thread got split: there are offenses written on that Discord channel which pass(ed) unnoticed. And I'm talking about pure offenses, words with little-to-no room for interpretations implying otherwise.

Use the Discord search function and look for yourselves.

Then why didn't you bring these to our attention when you saw these things happen?

Discord, it has to be reiterated, is a real-time medium. We (speaking for the moderation staff) cannot be present in all channels at all times; frankly, if we had to, we might as well close the server again because it clearly has failed and the people in it cannot be allowed to be in a room together. Sometimes we are present. Sometimes we can act in a timely manner and deescalate before things spiral too far out of control. At other times, we can't, for a multitude of reasons; We do rely on people to call us when they see something happen that they are not comfortable with.
What does that mean? Well, for one, it means that sometimes things may fall under the table. It also means that sometimes, the discussion in a channel has moved so far away from the initial point of contention that to come in hours or days after the fact is not workable.

Offline Lorric

It's always interesting to see what certain people have to say about me when they think I'm not going to find out.

You'd be surprised how often I do.

I think in general that this whole thing exacerbates an issue that's been here for a while, which is Lorric's continuous mode of behaviour that hovers between obnoxiousness and outright toxicity and the expectation that the rest of the community just ignores it whilst the moderation has given up on it as a lost cause. Lorric has been involved with moderation for basically as long as I can remember, and he's shown an inability or unwillingness to learn or even to just listen. Exasperation at Lorric's continued personal/political crusades is simply going to continue until Lorric matures, which is unlikely to happen since Lorric's mode of behaviour hasn't meaningfully changed since those first forum posts 10 years ago.

I know that this is a well-known issue amongst moderation but we're going to see fallout of allowing this situation to continue to fester for a while. Lorric hadn't visited these forums until a month or two ago where he necro'd a few months old thread to re-invigorate a long standing grudge against The_E. I did critique Phantom for venting his frustrations with Lorric in the hlp_squad channel, but in hindsight I can't reasonably expect everyone to be shining rays of happiness and friendliness in the face of someone who develops grudges that last several years because of what he was told on an internet forum about freespace modding.

Ironically I'd be willing to give Lorric more room if he had autism, but afaik he's perfectly neurotypical and has no excuse. And even then, although I would give him more room, it would still be significantly less then what he has been given over these past years.

Offline Lorric

Wow, they've really got to you, -Joshua-.

The past is too bound up in a discussion on the future for it not to come up. The past is precisely why the discussion is happening. I remember it, but it's not a grudge in the sense that I want to harm those who have harmed me. I don't.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I had an absolute tyrade of a post prepared, with recounting of many moderating actions taking place on the Discord, screenshots of messages, "mini-interviews" with witnesses and people who got smacked for something, blackjack and hookers. Decided to scrap it entirely because all that drama is tiring and undermining the community as a whole. I'm just going to take to PMs later on when I have the will to do so.

In the meanwhile, recently there were several great suggestions regarding the Discord server's organisation posted in #hlp-squad channel, that were quickly swarmed and pushed into the backlog by other messages related to the happenings on the forum. I have pinged the administrator to give him an anchor of sorts to navigate to the important suggestions, but it seems like it's going to take him quite a while to be able to read and respond to the suggestions.
Given that Discord is continuously gaining traction as a discussion medium, could we perhaps salvage this topic or create a new one that we could use as an organised, persistent medium of sharing and discussing (technical only) suggestions about the server?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Lorric

Sounds like discord might be worse than the forums...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Is there an argument you want to make, Nightmare, or are you just ****posting in a drama topic to further the drama?

No it was just a summary of what happened, I won't waste my time posting here again.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Sounds like discord might be worse than the forums...

I am confident. I believe this chaos is temporary, and we'll get back to a form of sub-normality very soon (Discord included).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Wow, they've really got to you, -Joshua-.

That you think that there's a "They" here, rather then just an individual observation I've made based on your behaviour, is part of the reason why this is dragging on so long. You'd rather blame 'them' then investigate your personal failings.

No it was just a summary of what happened

Bold thing to say from someone who has decided to ignore all calm, well-reasoned posts from literally everyone in here.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:09:47 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Nightmare, please calm the **** down.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Given that the original matter has been resolved, I don't think it's productive to leave the thread open.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]