Author Topic: ArmA III Devs go too far in quest for realism  (Read 4111 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: ArmA III Devs go too far in quest for realism
What does Pentagon has to do with all this?

It might help to read the whole post and what was quoted, hoss.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I read the whole post. I just thought that the second paragraph referred to the actual incident and not your example with an US base. The difference wasn't exactly clear on first reading (a matter of one "you" instead of "they").

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yup, they're pretty paranoid about it, but in fairness, as a rule Rule of Thumb, don't go to military bases and recon them without permission, most authorities would get pretty snarky about that, not just the Greek ones.

Since the company can vouch for them, I doubt there will be many repercussions, but in this day and age you really need to be talking to authorities before photographing their airbases ;)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
A different rule of thumb: If you don't want people doing something, put out a sign explicitly stating that. If they do something they were warned no to do, they have no one to blame but themselves. Of course, it's common sense to assume that such a military object isn't meant to be photographed, but it wasn't explicitly forbidden, so any accusations won't have too solid ground to stand on.

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
so because there isn't a sign telling me to jump off a bridge I should jump off the bridge?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, nobody says you can't, at your own risk, of course. You'll most likely not get arrested for this, though you can have a police negotiator try to talk you out of jumping.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
so because there isn't a sign telling me to jump off a bridge I should jump off the bridge?
(bolded for emphasis)

So because there isn't a sign telling you to jump off a bridge you should not jump off a bridge.  Why do something stupid without a reason? :P

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's a military airbase, with military weapons on it. Was anyone actually expecting Open Day?

You wouldn't jump off the bridge because it would be a stupid thing to do, same rule applies here.

Edit : Just wanted to add, the whole reason the airbase is probably being included in the game is because the relationship between Greece and nearby Turkey is still volatile, and should Turkey ever choose to make an aggressive move against Greece or vice-versa, Lemnos would play a prime role, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that is one of the very scenarios Arma III is considering. So we aren't just talking about taking photos of an Airbase, we are talking about taking photos, without permission, of an airbase in a volatile area that could be targetted if the delicate relations between Turkey and Greece were to break down again.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:46:10 pm by Flipside »

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I went to grammar school with one of these guys. Serves em right to be locked up for being stupid :P
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Am I the only person that thinks that a sensible (and at least not complete overkill) response to this frankly stupid course of action those guys took, is to confiscate the images and cameras, give them a hefty but reasonable fine and kick them out of the country for an indeterminate amount of time?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That wouldn't be a bad idea, and this would most likely be how the whole thing ends (provided they won't use "There were no signs" argument to get off scot-free, though I don't know if it'd work in Greece).

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I don't quote understand why Greece feels like they need to keep cameras away from their base.

It's not like Greece is known for their military technology and prowess, and any spy equipped with Google Earth could determine the base layout and location anyway.
Actually, if it's anything like Russia, the military bases are blurred out in google earth/maps.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:41:26 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, there's a few places in east Limnos that are quite blurry on Google maps, that might be it.

According to the official statement of bohemia interactive, the devs were arrested for another reason (which i can't remember at the moment) but not for photographing military bases, and in fact they were not even photographing such facilities.
Victory does not concern us, nor does life.
We have decided to preform our duty, our duty towards history, towards our ancestors, and towards our grandchildren.
The GTVA Colossus was a fine ship.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It seems that they were taking photos of the airport (which is clearly visible on Google maps...), and got hit with the same thing many planespotters were. And of course they weren't officially arrested for that, since it's not forbidden. Greeks had to allege some other reason to have them detained.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
It seems that they were taking photos of the airport (which is clearly visible on Google maps...), and got hit with the same thing many planespotters were. And of course they weren't officially arrested for that, since it's not forbidden. Greeks had to allege some other reason to have them detained.

Not looked into it that closely but if it's the same place as the British tourists I linked earlier then it is a combined commercial airport and military airbase so any charge of espionage while flimsy is also justifiable.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art