Author Topic: With HT&L...  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Raven2001
I know there is the FS Upgrade project, but as far as I know, it will not be about bringing the graphical part of the game to the next level, but to make a rather "official" sequel to FS2...

[color=66ff00]The freespace upgrade project is aptly named, it isn't the freespace sequel project, the idea is to start with the models (the OTT models actually exceed the regular FS model criteria both in polys and in mapping (If I could only get some damn screenies of them :doubt: )).

Planned upgrades to effects and other resources will come later. You gotta realise though that this project was instigated partly to show off the capabilities of the coder's work and partly to revive freespace. :nod:
[/color]

Always nice with good intentions :)
When will I learn?  The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV! -- Homer,  "There's No Disgrace Like Home''
I sometimes find myself here on this forum, late at night constantly pressing "Reload" over and over again

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Excuse my complete ignorance, but what does HT&L stand for, and if that's not too clear, what is it?:confused:

It must have been something introduced before I returned...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Hardware Texture & Lightning

I think.
When will I learn?  The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV! -- Homer,  "There's No Disgrace Like Home''
I sometimes find myself here on this forum, late at night constantly pressing "Reload" over and over again

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by mikhael

Its a huge amount of work, and the rewards are few.

I disagree though, about it being boring. I was anything but bored while working on my Herc1. I really need to sit down and work on a high poly Medusa. :D

making a high poly ship and a high detail low poly ships are different tasks, really ;)
SCREW CANON!

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
Hardware Transform & Lightning
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER
Hardware Transform & Lightning

aa...still close thou, 2 out of 3 :) :) :)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey RT if work is realy going slow on the T&L front maybe you could put up what you have so far somewere so others can give it a shot during you're down time, the HT&L upgrade will basicly bring the FS engine up to modern standards, I'm redy and waiting to try out vertex and pixel shaders.

we need to implement some sort of high(ish) level vertex buffer that can be tacked onto the poly models and each API (OGL and DX) can use it's own internal version
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Will this work on a GeForce 2 card?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Fry_Day

Originally posted by Bobboau
hey RT if work is realy going slow on the T&L front maybe you could put up what you have so far somewere so others can give it a shot during you're down time, the HT&L upgrade will basicly bring the FS engine up to modern standards, I'm redy and waiting to try out vertex and pixel shaders.

we need to implement some sort of high(ish) level vertex buffer that can be tacked onto the poly models and each API (OGL and DX) can use it's own internal version

I was thinking along those lines, in with some scheme for sorting according to textures and render states.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yess I want to reorganise some of the the code so that we can have more artist controle over rendering, if we would have had something like this someone could have setup glow mapping and specular mapping done long ago, and it could make the existing code so much cleaner.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Fry_Day

Originally posted by Bobboau
yess I want to reorganise some of the the code so that we can have more artist controle over rendering, if we would have had something like this someone could have setup glow mapping and specular mapping done long ago, and it could make the existing code so much cleaner.

Rip off the code from mfctex, and change it to write into some file, say, -shader.txt, or something like that, and cause textures with the tag '-stage1' to be loaded in texture stage 1. That would let people create custom multitexture effects with a cute li'l preview window.
I'll be home in a bit over a week (finally), so I may try that myself once I return.

On a side-note: I want PS2.0. I want to use my Radeon 9800 Pro (I got it for free :D ), and PS2.0 is so much more flexible...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
we should probly have at least basic suport for PS1.1 and 1.4, so not to TOTALY screw every one without top end Radeon.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL Well, if you get it working, I will be buying a new video card just to see it, so there's no rush, cos I'm broke at the moment ;)

Flipside :D