Author Topic: Will stencil shadows ever make a come back?  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Re: Will stencil shadows ever make a come back?
No pressure, of course, but I think it'd be rather nice if ships actually cast real-time light... how far away is that from happening? Like, you know on the fancy new Fenris/Levy, they have the glowmaps... in a shadows build, they would create colored light that would also make shadows at different angles. Sorry if this doesn't sound clear; it makes sense in my head.

Check out how Omni made his glowmaps for his Star Trek models - having the lighted parts already cast into the texture.
Actually he used a variant of the very same mapping for 'realistic' shadows on his huge asteroid.

////////////////////

@Bobbau:

How much of your work is D3D specific?
AFAIK you mostly program that, so a how much of the OGL stuff will have to be rewritten?
...or does this overhaul mean that OGL and D3D will once again have similar optimisation?

Already, thanks for revealing the workings of your magic shop.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
But who wants prerendered lighting? I mean, sure, for something like that, it'd be plenty effective and much better for your computer, but I want ships and asteroids and stuff to actually have light thrown onto them if they fly by a light source on a ship.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
@Bobbau:

How much of your work is D3D specific?
AFAIK you mostly program that, so a how much of the OGL stuff will have to be rewritten?
...or does this overhaul mean that OGL and D3D will once again have similar optimisation?

Already, thanks for revealing the workings of your magic shop.

AFAIK Bob's material system will be API independant.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Maybe it has been said....but I can't use the search function so I ask it here....with this new texture system...what can be done? What is different to the current one and will we have things like bumpmaps?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
As far as I understood, almost every shader effect is possible.

But there's a lot more. Detail textures, which are extremely interesting for SoL, cause it's a efficent way to make landscapes look decent without too much memory usage.

Or even glowmap animations without frames. Like color, strenght or contrast. All this should be possible.

Even as simple phong shader will make the ships looks a lot better.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 03:42:54 pm by DaBrain »
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
DaBrain's mostly got it right, it's mostly API independent, what I'm doing is abstracting the stuff that both do and haveing a common interface between them. 95% of the work is outside the API. I'm actualy trying to minimize the API abstraction as much as posable.

now the material system on it's own will not allow shaders, it will allow for every fixed function effect posable (more or less) but on it's own shaders will not be inherently suported. BUT the material system is were shaders WILL go after all bugs in the materials system are all worked out.
but the glow map animation, detail mapping, yeah that'll be a snap.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Those pictures are amazing Omni. Goober is right though, that stencil shadow build just teases us. Thanks again to Bobboau for the work he did on that build. Easily the most impressive addition to the game engine that never actually happened ;). I am left wondering, if (courtesy of the new materials system and BSP rewrite) stencil shadows made a comeback, what would the performance hit then be. Would we have to revise our poly counts downwards again and by how much? Since all this stuff is processed by the CPU not the GFX card right? Of course the question is sort of rhetorical since it's impossible to comment on the performance hit of code that hasn't been written. I'm just thinking out loud  :nervous:.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Those pictures are amazing Omni. Goober is right though, that stencil shadow build just teases us. Thanks again to Bobboau for the work he did on that build. Easily the most impressive addition to the game engine that never actually happened ;). I am left wondering, if (courtesy of the new materials system and BSP rewrite) stencil shadows made a comeback, what would the performance hit then be. Would we have to revise our poly counts downwards again and by how much? Since all this stuff is processed by the CPU not the GFX card right? Of course the question is sort of rhetorical since it's impossible to comment on the performance hit of code that hasn't been written. I'm just thinking out loud  :nervous:.

That's unnecesary, it would be far better to just properly set the LODs than to downgrade models.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
No content downgrades please.

If a computer is too slow to use the comming features with the content we have, they should just disable those features.

The material system should slightly speed things up though, but only as long as you don't add complex materials.

Some effects will be faster as shaders than as fixed functions. Ironically the cards which are limited to fixed functions are slower. So the speed-up probably won't even matter...  :rolleyes:
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm inclined to agree that I'd prefer to see the best possible detail on the best possible machine but with options to disable / enable functions rather than pandering to those with less powerful machines and denying others of what could be.