Author Topic: Interesting standalone crash  (Read 1542 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Interesting standalone crash
Just checked to see if my standalones were still up.  One had crashed with a parse error on FUBAR-m01-b.fs2.  Wouldn't normally surprise me as that is a very old mission.  What did surprise me was that mission isn't even in data\missions or mediavps\data\missions.  FUBAR-m01-c.fs2 is there but b is no where to be found.  Now it does exist in a directory under data\missions (data\missions\missions) that I created to prevent just such crashes but not in the directory itself.  First time I've ever seen this.  Does it now look for files in sub directories? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Re: Interesting standalone crash
Does it exist anywhere?
Otherwise, that's a bit phantom.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well I didn't look that hard but I did check the obvious places the engine might look.  The standalone is the MediaVP one so I checked the following:

data\missions - only the c version
mediavp\data\missions - nope
data\multidata - nope
mediavp\data\multidata - nope

The only place I found it was data\missions\missions.  I didn't have time to check .vp files but since it was never released and there is a newer version it shouldn't be in any. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

To figure this out, I'll have to go through code - I'm not sure off the top of my head.

I can tell you that this won't be easy.
Found this somewhere in cfilesystem.cpp:
Code: [Select]
//This for statement is a work of art :D
Which generally means: Look thataway.. *fumble*
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
It shouldn't be possible.  All search paths are hard-coded, so it shouldn't ever look somewhere that it doesn't specifically know about.  I would probably double-check your VPs just to be absolutely sure you don't have the file in something by mistake.

A quick test though is to just rename data/missions/missions/ to something like data/missions/old/ and see if that makes a difference.  If so then my only guess, without digging into the windows specific code, is that _findfirst is returning the contents of data/missions/missions/ because it has the extra match on the search string (the extra "missions/").  This certainly wouldn't be the first time that _findfirst was returning more results than it was told to look for, so it would be my gut reaction.

I have always used off directories like this to keep unused files as well and have never seen this issue.  All real development and testing was always done under Linux for me though, which could add a clue that this is in OS specific code.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
awhile back i could have sworn the engine was eating frames of effs that i had made. i just assumed it was the drugs.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well I may have figured this one out.  There was a .fc2 file in the directory and the first mission it was looking for was FUBAR-M01-b.  Wish I would have saved that log file so I could see if they were in campaign mode.