Author Topic: Let's Play... BattleTech! Rise of the Hard Light Brigade  (Read 63026 times)

Re: Let's Play... BattleTech!
I think you've failed to understand what Scotty is doing.  He's setting up a brand-new (read: rookie and unknown) IS mercenary unit in 3049 and using that as his campaign unit in an AI-run campaign in MegaMek.  Any Clan units will be AI-controlled opposition when 3050 rolls around.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Clearly a doctor if you haven't updated that already
"No"

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Scourge and DJ: Whoops!  I don't know how I missed you guys (especially since I had your names down on the first post at one point), but I'll fix that as soon as I can.  You can either wait for a real 'Mech or vehicle commander slot to open up, or volunteer for vehicle crewman like gunner or driver.  None of the vehicles I got are Lights, so all of them will have between three and six crewmen.

I'll volunteer for a gunner position, then. :)
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Spardason: Dammit, I knew I was still forgetting someone. :(  I didn't expect near this level of interest, but even then turnover is probably going to be pretty high.  Not XCOM high, but high enough you'll be one of the first on the list.   CommanderDJ  and Scourge will be vehicle gunners.

The way vehicle crew work for this set is that all crewmen are hired at the same skill, meaning that the Heavy tank I have is going to have between 5 and 6 crewmen that all share a 3/6 skill rating.  What I do with them after I hire them, however, is my own perogative.  The determining factor for a vehicle's aggregate skill ratings depends on both position and average skill.  If the driver of a vehicle is a 5/1 (unlikely), and the gunner is a 1/5 (slightly less unlikely), the aggregate skill rating of the vehicle is going to be 1/1.  At the same time, if there are two gunners, and the other gunner is a 7/8, the skill rating of the vehicle is going to be 4/1.  There will never be more than one driver to a vehicle, but there will more than likely be several gunners.  The commander of the vehicle is the one I give the highest rank in MekHQ, with ties broken by the sum of their gunnery and piloting skills.

Two assaults and a heavy, sounds pretty good for the start. I hope I get an Awesome. :) It was one of my favorites, with it's PPCs swapped for Clan ER versions, some armor stripped and the extra free space used for some additional close range lasers (on tabletop, extra heatsinks would probably be in order instead). Looking at the Wiki, this actually was somewhat similar to the AWS-9M variant (or 9Q, at the time when I had a 4th ERPPC. That one might cook itself when applied to the tabletop, though :)).

You're going to like what I rolled up to start.  Speaking of which, I have that list!  Every single 'Mech was rolled randomly from a series of tables helpfully provided by a guy who goes by Xotl over on the BT forums.  He has this nifty Faction Assignment and Rarity Tables project that's a wonderful way to make a force.  If anyone is playing along with MegaMek, these tables are actually included in the "Roll Random Army" section, under RATs -> Unofficial -> Xotl.

Anyway.  That Tech Rating thing I glossed over before?  Here's where it matters.  Each 'Mech is assigned a rating from A to F, with A being the best and F the worst.  What the ratings do is alter the roll (of 1d1000) up or down on the Random Assignment Table (RAT) to reflect better or worse equipment.  A 'Mech with the A rating gets a +100, B is +50, C is 0, D is -50, and F is -100.  For a good idea of just how ****ty merc equipment is to start, the company before I rolled exact vehicles and 'Mechs had three Cs, seven Ds, and two Fs.

Amusingly, our glorious company CO had one of the Fs.  The_E's chances for a pimpin' command 'Mech didn't look good.  Then I hit the button to roll, and out popped an Awesome, specifically an AWS-8Q model.  Talk about lucky!  Those of you that have played MWO are probably already familiar with this guy.  Those of you that haven't...?  Well, TRO time!

Name: Awesome
Model: AWS-8Q
Tonnage: 80 tons
Engine: 240 standard
Speed: 35.4 km/h (3) walking, 51.2 km/h (5) running
Armor: 15 tons standard
Armament: 3 PPCs, 1 Small Laser

Not the largest 'Mech ever built, but definitely one of the most dangerous, the Awesome has lived up to its name since first rolling off the production lines in 2665.  Fifteen tons of armor is fully 75% of the entire mass of some 'Mechs that can be found on the same battlefield, the unlucky bastards.  A 240 rated Pitban standard fusion engine propels the Awesome to a top speed of just over 50 km/h.  That doesn't sound like much, but it gets you where you need to go, especially if that where isn't going away.

What really makes the Awesome shine, though, is in the weapons.  Three PPCs are alone more than most 'Mechs can handle in a stand up fight.  There's one PPC each mounted in the left torso, right torso, and right arm.  The small laser is just gravy, sitting in the head.  Each of those Kreuss model particle cannons is capable of shearing off more than half a ton of armor per hit out to a range of over 500 meters.  The only downside is that firing all three PPCs is going to heat the pilot up after a sustained barrage.  Twenty eight heat sinks isn't quite enough to handle taping the triggers down and walking away, but compared to a lot of contemporary designs, it's still doing well for itself.

What does all that mean?  The Awesome is an anvil.  A very painful anvil, against which to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

The very next roll, I got another one (this one from a tech C).  So, our company is going to have one hell of an anvil, yes siree.

A little bit more on the PPC:

PPCs are direct fire energy weapons.  Not only that, they are the most powerful direct fire energy weapons available to most armies.  With a maximum range of 540 meters, the PPC also boasts a very long range for an energy weapon in 3049, surpassed by exactly two systems: the ER Large Laser and the ER PPC, the former by only 30 meters.  At that range, the PPC is capable of cleaving more than half a ton of armor from the target per hit.  For some smaller 'Mechs, this is enough to amputate entire limbs in a single strike.  The only drawbacks to the PPC are the high heat load and high tonnage of the weapon system.  Each PPC masses seven tons and takes up fully a quarter of the space in a 'Mech's torso or limbs.  Additionally, PPCs are ineffective at extremely short ranges.  From point blank to 90 meters, the PPC suffers degraded performance when compared to other, shorter ranged weapons.

In-game stats
Name: PPC
Type: Direct-fire energy
Mass: 7 tons
Critical: 3 spaces
Range: 90 meters minimum, 540 meters maximum (3/6/12/18)
Damage: 10
Heat: 10

What do all those numbers mean?  The mass should be obvious.  Each 'Mech has a certain tonnage, and it cannot surpass that and still be a legal design.  The mass of the PPC counts toward that total mass for any 'Mech it is mounted on.  Critical spaces are the internal space of the 'Mech.  Every single (bipedal, we might see quads later, maybe) 'Mech has the same amount of critical spaces, regardless of size, and the PPC takes up 3 of those spots.  Before advanced materials like Endo-Steel and Ferro-Fibrous armor are commonplace, that doesn't mean too much, but after they show up, critical space starts to run short very fast.  The range in meters is pretty self-explanitory, but I'll explain the numbers in parentheses after it.  Each number represents the weapon's range in hexes.  The first number is the minimum range.  Any target within 1-3 hexes of the PPC when it fires is harder to hit.  Not every weapon has a minimum range, so if there are only three numbers, that one is the one missing.  The next number (or first, if there's no minimum range) is the short range.  All the way up to that number, in this case six hexes, the weapon behaves with no penalty to shots.  At medium range, from hexes 7-12, there is a +2 penalty imposed on the shot.  Remember, a pilot with Gunnery 4 would suddenly find him/herself at 6+ to hit, instead of the 4+ earlier.  Finally, long range is a +4, and occupies the space between the last and second to last numbers, in this case 13-18.  At long range, that Gunnery 4 pilot would find him/herself firing at 8+, before taking anything else into account!

And on the Small Laser:

Quite possibly one of the least terrifying weapons on the field when viewed from a MechWarrior's perspective, the small laser is still a capable weapon.  With a maximum range of 90 meters, it's difficult to get in range, but at such close range there is no more efficient weapon on the field.  Though the directed beam of coherent light sears off less than a quarter ton of armor, it does so at miniscule heat production, and with the smallest base mass of any weapon system out there.

In-game stats
Name: Small Laser
Type: Direct-fire energy
Mass: 0.5 tons
Critical: 1 space
Range: 90 meters maximum (1/2/3)
Damage: 3
Heat: 1

So, that's what our pair of Awesomes wade into battle with.  You'll have to take my word for it at this point, but having two of them is pretty damn impressive.  Our company CO, The_E's "Easy" and Dragon's "Rapier" will be piloting these two.

This post is already getting to be huge and info-dumpy, so I'll cut it off here.  I've still got two vehicles in the command lance to do, and then two more full lances.  There are some more duplicates, here and there, but for the most part the company is pretty diverse.

Rest assured, this will actually get more interesting once I get something to actually do.  I'm not technically released from training until Thursday around noon, and until then I don't have access to either enough time to play out the game, or any way to put MekHQ on a government computer (not that I'd do such a thing...).  That, and once the biggest infodump is out of the way (ten distinct designs in the company, plus their weapons), it'll speed up.

Actually, you know what?  I'll just post the entire company here, and do the write-up sections later.  You guys deserve to know what's up, and can look them up yourselves if you absolutely need to.  The write-up sections will still happen, just spaced a bit better.

After those two Awesomes rolled up, I was pretty damn ecstatic.  The rest of the lance did not disappoint me.  The 4/6 Medium vehicle came up as a Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun.  Hetzers gonna Hetz.  The 3/6 Heavy vehicle resulted in a Manticore Heavy Battle Tank.  StarSlayer, please enjoy your ride.

The Scout lance was less impressive.  The 2/5 Medium landed me exactly what I wanted in the form of a Phoenix Hawk PXH-1, often affectionately referred to as a Pixie.  It's fast, jumps, and has a good weapons suite on it, so our Scout lance has at least a little bit of bite.  The rest of the lance... well, when I said "POS Bugs" a while back, it was spot on.  NGTM-1R got a Locust LCT-1V, and the 5/6 and 6/5 both got Wasps WSP-1A models.  The Wasp is a strong contender for "most useless 'Mech in the game" at this level, so there.  The Locust is at least speedy.

The third lance ended up significantly lower powered than the command lance, but not terrible in its own right.  The officer in the Heavy, Mr. Gibbs, rolled a Grasshopper GHR-5H.  Initially, in fact, he rolled the upgraded 3050 version.  Then I realized that the 3050 "upgrade" was one of those lemons that is pretending to be something sweet, and GM-fiat'd that back to a normal one.  Seriously, two tons of Streak ammo for one Streak SRM-2 is kind of, uh... well, put as kindly as possible, ****ing retarded.  And that's why we can't have nice things.  The next 'Mech ended up a Shadow Hawk SHD-2H.  This 'Mech is very nearly the definition of mediocre, even in 3025.  I'd take the Pixie over it in a fair fight any day, and the Pixie is ten tons lighter.

The two vehicles in third lance were pretty mundane, too.  The 4/5 got a Vedette, which GMs across the world have used as the mook enemy for decades, and the 4/6 got another Hetzer.

So, to sum it all up:

Assault/Command
*** 3/5 Awesome AWS-8Q, The_E "Easy"
4/6 Awesome AWS-8Q, Dragon "Rapier"
4/6 Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun, IronBeer "Iron"
* 3/6 Manticore Heavy Battle Tank, StarSlayer "StarSlayer", Scourge "Scourge"

Scout
** 2/5 Phoenix Hawk PXH-1, Polpolion "Polly"
5/5 Locust LCT-1V, NGTM-1R "Night"
5/6 Wasp WSP-1A, Patriot "Patriot"
6/5 Wasp WSP-1A, Esarai "Esarai"

Combat
* 3/4 Grasshopper GHR-5H, Andrew "Duck" Gibbs
6/5 Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, Phantom Hoover "Phantom"
4/5 Vedette Medium Tank, Aesaar "Toothless", CommanderDJ "DJ"
4/6 Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun, DireWolf "Dire"

Admin: Me "Strobe"
Doctor: deathfun "Deathfun"(?)
Mech Tech: Mongoose "Mongoose"
Mechanic: redsniper "Red"

Vacant slots:
Six Mech Techs
Two Mechanics

Waiting list:
SpardaSon21
ShadowWolf_IH

And now, regarding customization:  Probably going to be limited early game, as I'm going to want every single 'Mech available all the time for missions.  Downtime between missions is possible, however, as is emergency repairs of the "Just shove a large laser in there, the PPC is busted!" variety.  Refitting Clan equipment onto the company's 'Mechs runs into a couple of hurdles.

1) Shooting down the Clan pilots in the first place.

2) Controlling the field to get the salvage.

3) Maintaining the equipment once we get it.

Number 3 is by far the most concerning.  I'll cross that bridge when we get there, but a 4xCERPPC Awesome is probably the pinnacle of "not gonna happen" right now.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well crap, I actually have a 'Mech that's in theory useful! Only because of speed, though.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
sweet, you missed me on the reserves list though ;)

and that manticore in the assault/command lance is count to be handy as well
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Could you please also add me to the reserves/waiting list, callsign "Loon" ;)

And 7 PPC's in the command lance?  That's some serious long range firepower!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Aesaar

I'm gonna get so exploded.

I'd like to change my callsign to "Redshirt".  We can change it back if I manage to graduate to a vehicle that isn't hilarious. :p
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:59:06 pm by Aesaar »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
At least the Vedette's AC/5 gives you "some" stand-off capabilities, I'd be more worried about crewing the rolling coffins / Hetzers...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I just looked the Vedette up on Sarna, and well, I can't decide if a red paint job on it is the world's best idea or the world's worst idea. :P
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
At least the Vedette's AC/5 gives you "some" stand-off capabilities, I'd be more worried about crewing the rolling coffins / Hetzers...
:sigh: Well at least I can hit back pretty hard. ...I think. ...on paper.

On behalf of all of us riding in rather subpar gear, here's hoping we live long enough to get some better rides.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
actually, if you are playing battletech in 3050, the guass is a much better weapon than the erPPC.  As far as customizing and repair goes...I still have the compendium, and if I am not mistaken, maximum tech is running around here someplace (if so the expanded rules for repair may come in useful to you).  I can't believe that no one is sitting in a BLR-3g Battlemaster.  Or a 70 ton Warhammer. 

Using clan tech on IS mechs is much harder than just swapping out  an erppc for a clan erppc, clan weaps come in pods. It can be done, but it is much harder than replacing it with the weapon that came from there.

The only thing that I liked about the coasters on my coffee table (you probably call them Mechwarrior 4) was that the slots for weapons take into account how the mech engineered. ie The mech was engineered to have ballistic weapons in location x, energy weapons in location y,  and missile types in location z.  It would make customizing on paper a pain in the ass, but it makes sense. That concludes the ONLY thing I liked about mech 4. 

Anyway, let me know if I can help in any way.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Aesaar

On behalf of all of us riding in rather subpar gear, here's hoping we live long enough to get some better rides.

Can vehicle pilots even eject?  If not, is there a way to allow us to?  Us medium vehicles will definitely need it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Can vehicle pilots even eject?  If not, is there a way to allow us to?  Us medium vehicles will definitely need it.

It's not a standard feature, but some vehicles are noted for their crew safety features. Y'all in the Hetzers are probably screwed, but the Vedette has a decent number of hatches for the crew to get out before it brews up.

Perhaps we'll get lucky at some point in 3050 and stumble across a Ku.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, as starting loadouts go, that's not too bad. Having our main heavy hitters be all-energy designs will certainly help keep down operating expenses.

That said, that Scout lance needs replacing ASAP. Let's get some Valkyries and Spiders in there.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Drop me in as a Tech. I don't know what they do specifically but it sounds like a nice, safe place to be.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I love how the command lance ended up. This kind of firepower could probably gut lighter mechs in one salvo. Can't wait to see it in action. :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One thing I am worried about is that we have little in the way of indirect fire support capability. I'd loooove to have a Longbow, Archer, Catapult, or even an LRM carrier on our side.
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
We got maybe 20 tubes between my Manticore, the SHD and GHR?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep, which is not a lot.