Author Topic: Let's Play... BattleTech! Rise of the Hard Light Brigade  (Read 63032 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Let's Play... BattleTech!
Just had a little fun in blender this afternoon

could probably do with being rendered with either red, black or transparent backgrounds, If you want me to I can easily do that for you scotty, I can also render new ribbons if you want and I have a fun idea for a repeat pin :)

edit
Black bg and a little bigger
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:49:06 pm by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Just had a little fun in blender this afternoon

could probably do with being rendered with either red, black or transparent backgrounds, If you want me to I can easily do that for you scotty, I can also render new ribbons if you want and I have a fun idea for a repeat pin :)

Headdie, you are awesome.  My idea for the brigade dress uniforms was black, with blue trim for MechWarriors, yellow/gold for vehicle crew, red for support personnel, and white/silver for officers.  With that in mind, black backgrounds would be perfect.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Double post.

Alright!  Like I said last time, first of the month!  That means two things.  One, it's market time.  Two, I get to generate the possible contracts for next time.  Neither of those are guaranteed to actually happen even though this is technically the day to do it.

First off, market.  There are five different venues to purchase vehicles and 'Mechs.  They are, in order of difficulty, Open Market, Employer Market, Black Market, Mercenary Auction, and Factory Line.  Factory Line is actually totally unavailable to me at this point, and requires the unit to be a B-rated unit or higher before the option is even given.  For those of you who are curious, the unit as it stands right now (with some damage to that Vindicator still) is solidly in the middle of the D section.  Open Market and Employer Market are both roughly 40% chance of happening in a given month (I have to roll 8+ to get anything), and each pull from different assignment tables to figure out what I can buy.  The Black Market is harder to get into at a 10+, but generally has better quality equipment (Tech C versus Tech D and F for the other two).  On the other hand, if I roll poorly I can just flat out lose the 'Mech that I buy, so I don't really like it.  Finally, Mercenary Auctions are damn hard to get into (11+), but give good quality 'Mechs and vehicles and there are generally a damn lot of them to choose from.  All in all, the odds of getting anything other than Open and Employer markets are fairly difficult.

I don't technically have an employer yet, but I am still on Milos, so I'm just going to roll with it.  Rolling with it gets me two markets that actually have things to sell to me, Open and Employer (big surprise there).  Rolling for number of 'Mechs (1-3 and 1-2, respectively) gets me a maximum showing from both (wow).  Now I roll for what 'Mechs and vehicles they actually are.  There's not a way to distinguish between a 'Mech market and a vehicle market in the rules as they are, so I just flip a coin on each of them to figure it out.  Somewhat amusingly, all five of them end up being vehicles.  I'll probably be doing pretty good on vehicles and vehicle backups if this keeps up.  More rolling shows me that the vehicles available on the Open Market are two Heavies and a Medium, and the two available from my Employer are another Heavy and a Medium.  After that, I take it to the RATs, and then finally determine the price.

The results:
105% Bulldog – 1,185,240
100% LRM Carrier – 1,872,000
95% Brutus (LRM) – 3,772,213
120% Vedette – 870,900
100% Prowler – 1,935,083

Welp, I think we found our Manticore replacement.  That Brutus looks mighty good to me.  Lighter armor, and slower, but damn does it hurt.  This particular model comes standard with two LRM-20s, so that solves our missile shortage quite handily all on its lonesome.  It's also on sale for cheap, which is a good thing because ammo is going to be a *****.  The other thing I'm almost interested in is the Prowler, but it's the Succession Wars variant and not as good as the old Star League version that would really kick ass.  However, that Brutus is pretty damn expensive, and I do want to have enough money to get to where we're going next, so I'll take the Brutus and leave the rest.

With the new Brutus parked in the hangar, I quickly staff it with the crew of the Manticore.  Since this tank is roughly 15 tons heavier, it also requires a larger crew, so I take one of the Hetzer crewmen to take the wheel.  I'd have picked Sergeant Carver, but I suspect he'd be happier with a vehicle command of his own.  This is the part where vehicles having large crews is actually helpful, as the previous Manticore crew ended up as a 3/6, but with the influx of a 4/5 driver, I can take that 3/6 who was being wasted at the wheel and keep the Brutus at a 3 Gunnery and drop it to a 5 Piloting.  Everybody wins!

Next up, contracts!  Generating contracts that aren't at the start of the company is a bit different, in that I might not get one, or I might get three.  The definite number of contracts to start is what sets it apart.

Three.  Great.  Lots of rolling.  I'll skip all of the nitty gritty this time and just show you the end results.  Last contract wasn't a great representative of what each field means, but I'll give you guys reading a chance to put in your two cents before I pick a contract, though I'll be offering my own thoughts in this post as well.

Contract One:
Employer: Draconis Combine
   Skill/Rating: Veteran/C
Contract Type: Planetary Assault
Enemy: Free Rasalhague Republic
   Skill/Rating: Veteran/D
Length: 9 months
Payment: 12,960,000
Command: Independent
Salvage: 50%
Support: Straight/Full
Transport: Full
   Jumps: 28/None

Contract Two:
Employer: Draconis Combine
   Skill/Rating: Green/A
Contract Type: Extraction Raid
Enemy: Federated Commonwealth (Steiner)
   Skill/Rating: Regular/C
Length: 3 months
Payment: 4,608,000
Command: Liaison
Salvage: 20%
Support: Straight/80%
Transport: 50%
   Jumps/Cost: 14/

Contract Three:
Employer: Federated Commonwealth
   Skill/Rating: Veteran/D
Contract Type: Objective Raid
Enemy: Capellan Confederation
   Skill/Rating: Regular/C
Length: 3 months
Payment: 4,608,000
Command: Liaison
Salvage: 20%
Support: Straight/80%
Transport: 20%
   Jumps: 11/

First thoughts: HOLY ****!  Somebody in the DC thinks we're the ****, apparently.  Maybe whoever gave the “pirates” that Crab.  Whatever the reason, we just got offered a contract into the FRR on a planetary assault, with independent command rights, against a Veteran enemy, with Veteran allies going in with us.  50% Salvage is pretty good, too, especially considering who we're talking about.  Planetary assaults pay good as you can see there, but they happen to be pretty long term, and it's easy to get beat up going hard for nine months.  On the other hand, doing that means everybody gets payed boukous bucks and gets to shoot all the things.  Transport is also free, because I rolled a 14 on that clause after bonuses.  Plus, 11 weeks gives me plenty of time to recruit a few more people and get that Vindicator back up and running and then some.  With that much time, I could reasonably expect to convert two or three of our stinkers to better variants (looking at you, Locust) with weeks to spare.

Neither of the other two contracts are much to write home about, aside from our Green/A allies on that other DC contract, and the general trend of everybody throwing Veterans at everybody right now, which is weird for BT in general but absurd for this point in time.  Green/A means I rolled a 3 for skill and a 12 for rating, so that unit could very well be a company/battalion of all noble's kids having fun for a few months, I dunno.  Both other contracts have good command rights (though not as good as the big one), but really ****ty transport rights considering that they're not, you know, 100.  Honestly, the only bonuses these have over the assault is that they have easier enemies to kill.  That goes both ways, though, because when I shoot down someone in game, I have the chance to capture them and either demand ransom, or they can defect and add pilots to the rolls who are really good.

I'm leaning hard toward the planetary assault (also because it puts us in the FRR through early 3050), but please, discuss.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:35:22 pm by Scotty »

Since the planetary assault will end you up in the FRR in early 3050, pays well, has free transport and excellent salvage rights, and gives you veteran allies with Independent command rights, go for it.  I don't see a reason to pick the other two.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
bunch of fat, larper nerds

That's a personal attack.  You've been warned.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I'm inclined to say go for the Planetary Assault. It looks like it'll be pretty high-stakes, but it should also be even owing to Veteran allies and our pair of Awesomes.

Not to mention all the other perks that Sparda already pointed out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Contract One ofc.
I mean, all those perks.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Just as long as you lad's bring those 'Mechs and rigs back in..."Mostly" one piece, I say rock hard for the PA.  Oh and Bullman? I took the liberty of putting a little...."War paint" onto your AWS.

If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
"Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Oh and Bullman? I took the liberty of putting a little...."War paint" onto your AWS.
Nice, I like it. :yes: The'll soon learn to fear my mech (if any of "them" survives to tell the tale, that is :)).
As for the contract, well, I'd say let's go with the PA. That sounds really fun. I never really cared much for the FRR, and it seems like good enough of a shot. There's no way this could go wrong.
EDIT: That's what you get for skimming over the contract details... Mixed over two places on the opposite sides of the IS. :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Since the planetary assault will end you up in the FRR in early 3050.

Since the planetary assault will end you up in the FRR in early 3050.

FRR in early 3050.

I foresee no possible way this could go wrong!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I have a strong feeling that I'm going to be getting a lot people heading into my morgue and/or facility on that PA
Although what's with the FRR in early 3050 being something that can't go wrong?
"No"

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I would be happy to go contract 1, between the transport and salvage rights and the fact our allied forces will be relatively well equipped so should be able to absorb a few more blows before going down (thus giving the FRR something else to shoot at other than us) says to me that it should be the go contract
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I have a strong feeling that I'm going to be getting a lot people heading into my morgue and/or facility on that PA
Nothing about the FRR itself, but...

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

Mad Cats. Mad Cats everywhere.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
This is the part of the show where I ask everybody if they have any personal preferences for their rides' configurations.  If you are in a ****ty 'Mech, and want to be in a better version of that ****ty 'Mech, let me know now, before we get really underway for our 14 week journey.  At this piont, it should be obvious that we're taking the Planetary Assault contract.  A little bit more background on that:

Planet/System: Thule
Defenders: 1st Hussars
Allies: 14th Legion of Vega
Timeframe: mid-June 3049 to mid-March 3050.
Geography and climate: Varied.  Ranges from vast deserts to expansive ice caps.

We'll be taking some DC transports on the way there, without spending a penny beyond maintenance and salaries.  We'll make planetfall June 7, 3049 and immediately commence operations in support of the 14th Legion of Vega as they attempt to take the planet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:04:02 pm by Scotty »

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
(my kingdom for an LCT-1E conversion kit)

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The order for the kit is in.  None of the Techs for it are better than Regular, so it'll likely take a couple weeks but... well, weeks are what we have around here.

Anybody else who wants a conversion kit started (and a few I'll be starting regardless) should be in by tonight so I see it before I advance a dozen weeks and suddenly don't have time for it.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
ohh and btw here are a few repeat pins

edit
revised pin images.  The mediafire downloads have the transparent backgrounds, for some reason the share system converts to jpg with no alpha.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:36:42 am by headdie »