Author Topic: movie making  (Read 3291 times)

What tools are needed to make a movie? like which modelling program is the best?
"For 10,000 years we have thought the
long war and our hatred still knows no
succour. Those who have defied us shall
feel the full wrath of Chaos..."
-Abaddon the Despoiler.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
first tool:
a few thousand of dollars  
SCREW CANON!

okay..........

Wot programs where used to make the MT trailer?

------------------
-Abaddon the Despoiler.
-Abaddon the Despoiler.

For those not wishing to spend "a few thousand" on a Modelling/Rendering/Animation toolset I'd recommend Truespace 3 or 4.

I know no one likes the TS series but it packs a lot of features for only $100-200 (us).

------------------
I told you that It would be done by November, well, mostly anyway...

I'm working on something new... shhhhh, it's a seceret.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Apothess:
okay..........

3ds max  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yes that's the one you will probably need, but it costs around $3500. (has to be one of the most expensive pieces of software I have seen) Another program, trueSpace, is cheaper (about $500) and more useful for FS modeling, but I don't know how good it is for animations and stuff like that. (needed to make movies)

I have heard of something called GMax that is made by the same company, but is free and is designed specifically for games. The only problem is that it is supposed to support only a proprietary file format. Anyone know something more about this?

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by CP5670:
Yes that's the one you will probably need, but it costs around $3500.   (has to be one of the most expensive pieces of software I have seen) Another program, trueSpace, is cheaper (about $500) and more useful for FS modeling, but I don't know how good it is for animations and stuff like that. (needed to make movies)

I have heard of something called GMax that is made by the same company, but is free and is designed specifically for games. The only problem is that it is supposed to support only a proprietary file format. Anyone know something more about this?

Gmax doesn't have rendering module, so for a movie it would be pretty useless.
SCREW CANON!

Another program, trueSpace, is cheaper (about $500)

Truespace 1 =$free (but I don't know any of its functions so I don't know if it would work for what you want)

Truespace 3 = $100 (us)  Is capable of model editing, texturing, rendering, and animating.  Pretty unsophisticated FX capabilities (no lense flares for you  )

Truespace 4 = $250 (us)  I imagine it's capable of everything TS3 is plus I know (from some of the renders I've seen with it) that it is capable of some decent (not spectacular though) FX.  I've never personally used it, but I've got my greedy eye hovering over it though  

Truespace 5 = $750 (us)  Big waste of $$$.  The only thing it really adds is NURBS, plus an absolutely HORRIBLE interface.  About the third time you irrepairably screw up a mesh you'll see what I mean.

...but I don't know how good it is for animations and stuff like that. (needed to make movies)

TS3 is quite capable of generating animations and movies.  But it's lack of FX might be crippling.  Plug-ins are available to help though.

------------------

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Apothess:

3D Studio MAX r3, Macromedia Flash 4 and GoldWave. Rendered the scenes on MAX, edited the sound on Goldwave, and put everything together and added text/transition effects on Flash.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Truespace 5 = $750 (us) Big waste of $$$. The only thing it really adds is NURBS, plus an absolutely HORRIBLE interface. About the third time you irrepairably screw up a mesh you'll see what I mean.

hehe, I guess I was not the only one who thought that TS5's user interface was much more confusing and unintuitive than that of TS4. I guess it isn't really worth all the extra money then... (only reason I have it is that I got it from my dad's work)

edited the sound on Goldwave

I use this program for my sound editing needs too. Lots of functionality IMHO (including a nice mechanize effect for Vasudan translator speech files), and best of all, the price is right. (about $45 USD)

Goldwave is worth it's weight in,... well, gold.  Shame my evaluation copy has gone and ran out.  *sigh*  Guess I'll just have to fork over the cash.

[Checks gauge on wallet]
Empty as usual, ratz!

[This message has been edited by jonskowitz (edited 11-26-2001).]

Offline untouchable

• Fear the DA...
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/da
Lightwave 7.0 is what I use to do all my animation and if you can get on ICQ, I'll transfer it to you (normally costs $2,500) It has the same animating capibilities as Max just not as good of a modeler.
"The Darkness shall  befall us all."
-Commander William Wright

"Violence is merely the means of the incompotent"
-Felix Steighner
----------------------
The Darkness is Coming

Untouchable has spoken :D

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The mods! The mods! The mods do not like warez...they shall crush you! Oh no! They're coming!  
-C

Offline untouchable

• Fear the DA...
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/da
"The Darkness shall  befall us all."
-Commander William Wright

"Violence is merely the means of the incompotent"
-Felix Steighner
----------------------
The Darkness is Coming

Untouchable has spoken :D

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
I've heard good things about Lightwave. I've personally used 3D Studio Max and like it, but its still somewhat tedious. Is lightwave better?

------------------
Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!!!
I have returned... Again...

Offline Pez

Originally posted by Dark_4ce:
I've heard good things about Lightwave. I've personally used 3D Studio Max and like it, but its still somewhat tedious. Is lightwave better?

Oh, no not again!   Look in the Hard Light section forum. You should find a thread there about LW and Max. Bottomline is: Use the program you like. Both programs have it's pros and cons.

Pez