Author Topic: Cockpits redux (Stable branch)  (Read 24992 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Cockpits redux (Stable branch)
Changes:
  • player.IsMulti (scripting) gets whether player is a multiplayer pilot. I recommend changing the variable only if you're curious, not if you want to maintain a working pilot file. :p
  • Added $Cockpit POF File: above $POF File: in ships.tbl
  • Added +Cockpit Offset variable which takes a vector of the offset that the cockpit should be relative to the viewer

Screenies:
Viewing an Orion
Demonstrating the slewing capabilities (the hull breach in the lower left is a consequence of the model, not the code)

Downloads:
C12302007s build
Cockpit Fun Pack, with an old, old cockpit model by Aldo and the modular table to get it working for the Ulysses.
-C

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Re: Cockpits redux (Stable branch)
We just need high detailed 3D cockpit without having a poly hiding the view ^^

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Wow. Sweet :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

I hope one day high-poly cockpit views will be implemented into SCP :yes:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Niiiice.  :yes:

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It doesn't look like it's getting lit correctly. Or at all. No matter which way I rotate, the lighting stays the same, and there are some nasty clipping errors that this time aren't because of holes in the model:

For reference, that's the right-view of this:

Also, what's the slewing thing? It looks cool, but I couldn't work it out. :(
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Holding down Numpad Zero and hitting the keypad arrows? :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Ah, yeah that was it - thanks. :)

Very cool. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline WMCoolmon

How close are the edges of that cockpit to the center? They can't be more than 0.05 m with that build, or clipping will occur.

Here's a build that has fixed lighting and a minimum clip distance of 0.02. Tell me if the clipping changes with this one.

If I move the clipping plane too near, however, then ships with large cockpit models will have issues with rendering order. The zbuffer has a limited amount of data that it can hold, and the closer the minimum clipping distance gets, the more information is required to make the minimum clipping distance even smaller. (Eg reducing the clipping distance from 0.05 to 0.02 requires more data storage space than reducing it from 0.08 to 0.05) I am dynamically setting the maximum clipping distance based on the radius of the cockpit models to keep zbuffer space from being wasted, but there's a limit to how effective that will be.
-C

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
More screeenies :wub:

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not sure what happened, but this build seems to have broken multi.  Couldn't connect by IP, switched back to an older build and it worked just fine.  Game never showed up in the browser.

(I'm aware there's no working PXO for 3.6.10 yet, this is an unrelated issue as I wasn't using PXO).
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline WMCoolmon

Did you have the modular ship table in your FS2 path?

I'm pretty sure I didn't touch any multi code.
-C

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Ok, that one worked better - the lighting shifted round mostly as it shouold, but the clipping issues remain almost identical. However, the models radius is only 4.6m, so it could well just be that the model is too small to use properly. I'm gonna try an enlarged version and see if that fixes the probs.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Well it appears to make no difference whether the cockpit is big or small - the clipping issues are always the same, so it's something else at work here. I'll attach the POF and DDS for testing.

(The models centre is in the correct position, so it needs no offset)

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Twisted Infinities

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
And here's the map. (combined they came to 528kb. :\ )

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Twisted Infinities

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Cool. I've been waiting for this for a loooong time! :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Did you have the modular ship table in your FS2 path?

I'm pretty sure I didn't touch any multi code.

I just tried using the build itself with some other mods.  Couldn't get it to find any games, even when the IP was manually typed in.  Regardless, if you just commit the stuff you did change, I doubt it'll affect multi in anyone else's builds.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
IIRC multi has been defunc in the stable branch for some time now. I had the impression that it requires the new FS2net to be in place in order to work properly?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Again, not using FS2NetD.  Just trying to use direct ip connection.  Completely bypassing the game lobby altogether.  It works with every one of Taylors' recent Xt builds I've tried it with, but didn't with this build.  That was the only thing that had changed, was the build I was using.  It's not that multi isn't working in those builds, it's that the new builds aren't working with the current FS2NetD.  Multi itself should still work, assuming you can connect without using FS2NetD, which you should be able to via the network options in-game, and specifying IPs to look for a server on.

Offline WMCoolmon

Taylor's Xt builds have code that hasn't been committed to the stable branch yet. I did commit the cockpits code to the stable branch, although I have never gotten around to porting it to the unstable branch. *grumble*
-C