Author Topic: WANTED : HTML guy/girl  (Read 2965 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
WANTED : HTML guy/girl
The Diaspora team are currently looking for someone to fix up the HTML on our documentation. All the content is mostly done. We just need someone who can make it look pretty. Shouldn't be a difficult job at all.

Currently the docs looks like this. Previous experience with SVN is a plus since it would be nice if we can still improve the documentation while you work on it.

Post here with some links to sites you've made if you're interested.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Re: WANTED : HTML guy/girl
Hey Kara, I can fix it up for you if you like.
http://www.ktagroup.com
http://www.l2s-eng.com

Are a few sites I have made from scratch.
Are you looking for external or internal CSS formatting?
I am unhappy with how they managed the KTA Group site since I left, who-ever tried updating the content is a douche because they screwed up font placement quite a bit from how I had it cleanly displaying. But overall I put a lot of work into the projects section & leadership page. The flash was really basic. I prefer html, javascript, & CSS over flash content for long term use and it really delivers useful content with minimal overhead.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:17:38 am by KewlToyZ »

Offline newman

That looks good. I'll leave the technical details to Kara, but your help with this would definitely be appreciated.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Thanks Newman, I'll be in touch later this evening. Just got another call. Consulting is a funky schedule =P

I'll go ahead and post this to see if this was similar to what you would be looking for.
I just did a brief setup so it could have a more dynamic menu and more dynamic page view centralized.
The graphics need work and not sure of colors yet.
Let me know what you gents think.

Run the index.htm to see the starting point.
I would likely break some of the pages up and use dynamic menus off to the side for easier navigation.
But this should give some ideas.

I had to remove the rest of the pages pics to get it uploaded but it should show my concept.
There was a lot of formatting left yet on the other pages.
I was considering moving the other pages into a folder to reduce confusion too.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:11:47 pm by KewlToyZ »

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Invalidity of the code and my personal disagreement with your coding aside, if i am not mistaken, those are docs, not a website. IT needs to be easily readable, not flashy and nice. Most of the graphics don't need work, they need to go away. The font size needs to be increases at least by half, and line length reduced to no more than 800px. You should also use serif font family, it helps reading longer lines. That's basic typography.

On that note, a thought occurred to me: Why is this done in HTML and not in a text processor anyway? Seems to me like logical choice for this would be .doc or opensource equivalent, based on your need to work on those further and the fact it isn't written for web.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

First everyone has a web browser. So htm does work, it doesn't have to be web based though is all.
Yes I used a lot of inline code instead of CSS, sorry to upset you, it was just a proof of concept.
All of the other items could be solved when CSS is centralized instead of inline.
What format does everyone use for a formatted document? .doc?

Unless you are using your cell phone, 800 px hasn't made sense in years?
Unless you need room for adbots and other garbage not pertinent to an information manual.
Printable formatting is easy, has not even been attempted here yet....
I take that back, the only page I even began formatting was the first page!
And it plots in XPS just fine.

If you are so interested and have a handle on it as you claim , why not put up your work and take the assignment then instead of drive by trolling?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:33:01 pm by KewlToyZ »

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
i did in a PM yesterday ;-P the line length limit is there because of ease to read, not because of the screen width.

Good point with the browser, can't ask everyone to abandon mac's and linux machines :)
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Good deal, I just like to help this group however I can.
I know I tend to mess with the appearance side of things.
Nothing was set in stone so I avoided external CSS for the rough draft.
Still not sure I like my own formatting yet either.
I know my code is still messy with the tables, but I find them easier for expanding formatting due to people having bigger screens these days, etc... and all browsers cast them the same way, unlike absolute positioning with frames, divs, etc...
Plus, when printing, most document writing prints format it to fit the page without much investment.
I do agree, the font is a bit small. My eyes are going on me for my near sight. Mom was right, I am finally going blind  :lol: :p

I keep hearing gripes about using tables, but ya know what? Tables will be around as long as databases are around.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:18:21 pm by KewlToyZ »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Since only two of you seemed interested, I'll let the team decide between whatever you've both given me to look by the end of the day. Seems the fairest way to decide.

On that note, a thought occurred to me: Why is this done in HTML and not in a text processor anyway? Seems to me like logical choice for this would be .doc or opensource equivalent, based on your need to work on those further and the fact it isn't written for web.

Several reasons. One of the main ones though is simply that FRED opens index.html in your default browser when you open the help. The other is that due to the collaborative nature of the games, I need a format that can be edited by multiple people at the same time and HTML will cope with that a lot better than .doc.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:46:21 pm by karajorma »

Hey folks, just wondered where this was sitting so I can plan things accordingly?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Sorry to take so long to answer, I was travelling and didn't have internet access for a few days.

I was under the impression you still wanted to make some more changes before you were done.

Will do =)