General FreeSpace > FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support

Lighting an effects

(1/1)

Iain Baker:
Hi guys, quick question.

I have been told the old lighting presets https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Sample_Lighting_Settings are out of date with the new engine. Is there an updated guide to what settings work now and what they do? It would be handy for new members and people less knowledgeable about how video game graphics work (like me  :lol:)

Specifically, what setting do I need to change to alter the glossiness to make things all shiny?

Cheers :-)

PIe:
I updated that page recently.

Iain Baker:

--- Quote from: PIe on April 16, 2019, 05:51:57 pm ---I updated that page recently.

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, just noticed that, thank you.

I do not see a setting for 'glossiness' listed. Am I missing something, or can this not be changed. Is this something that the devs have to set during development?

Any advice greatly appreciated :-)

FrikgFeek:
Glossiness is based on the reflectiveness of the material in the texture. Due to how Physically based rendering(aka PBR) works it doesn't make sense to provide a global override for glossiness, each material has its own value.
The closest thing would be -spec_static which controls the specularity of sun-based lighting and can make ships very shiny when facing the sun on higher values.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version