Author Topic: HTL Athena and Athena MK2 - COMPLETED!  (Read 35344 times)

Offline ShivanSpS

Re: HTL Athena and Athena MK2 - COMPLETED!
End this discution... the HTL Athena goes to the FS1 port folder.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It's not as simple as "putting the HTL Athena in FSPort directory". Maps should go to FSPort\data\maps\, tables to FSPort\data\tables\, shield icon ANI to FSPort\data\hud\ and the model goes to FSPort\data\models. Slapping the files as such in FSPort dir is a bad idea IMHO. If you want, you can even use entirely another mod directory (like I do), but the simplest way is to put the files in FSPort\data\ and corresponding subdirectories.

...If someone wants a simple installation and wants to skip the parts where they have to learn something about the file structure used by FS_Open and the mod system, they can download this file, extract the VP, slap it into the FSPort folder and it should work, thanks to the fact that the modular tables will override the standard table entry and therefore the game will use the new Athena model (and maps) instead of the old ones.

The VP contains both the standard HTL Athena and Athena Mark II by Trashman. I took the liberty of mirroring the file, I hope it's okay... I'll take it away if someone objects for some reason. Or if Trashman wants, he can upload it to Hades-Combine.

If someone wants the Athenae in separate VP files, I can do that too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:34:14 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Crap, so all these ship files are in the wrong directory?
And if they are, exactly where should they go again?

ShivanSPS and Turey and I and a multitude of others need to know!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

I already know the answer to that one. .vp files are fine in the root mod dir. extra stuff not in a .vp (except for mod.ini, portv3.bmp, etc.) should go in the appropriate data folder. Only things I can see wrong with that pic are cutscenes.tbl, which goes in fsport\data\tables, and FreeSpace2.fc2, which should probably go in fsport\data\missions (or is it campaigns? I think it's missions.)

EDIT: I checked, it's missions.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

OMG I LOVE THAT BOMBER!!!!11 Its by far imo the best looking ship!!!!111

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
That setup works just fine if you really want the new ships to override certain ships every time that FSPort directory is enabled, which is in this case desireable I would think. It's a perfectly good way to do things if there's no need to easily revert to "official" FSPort behaviour. Multimod offers that, if it's required. Putting the VP into the directory works just fine - in most cases anyway. If there are textures and/or models with same name in multiple VP's in same mod directory, the I guess some of the overriding rules in the code will decide which one is used...

Putting individual model, texture, table and other files into FSPort\data\models etc directories will always work and files that are put there will always override the files with same namy that might be in the VP archives in the same mod directory. That's the only advantage over VP files
that individual files have IMHO. VP files have every other advantage to their side. They are easier to distribute, generally way easier to install and easier to manage than craploads of individual effects, textures and model files in mod/data directories.

ShivanSPS' and Turey's downloads work just fine. I'm sure they have tested the directory structures before distributing their work. I only have experience about Shivan's download - I DL'ed it because my CD's were 700 km north - and I haven't noticed any problems at all. Besides, both of them are meant for people who just want to start playing with latest graphics and stuff, and haven't really familiarized them with how FSOpen directory structure works. It saves confusion and works fine, so it's a good solution.

I'm just saying that there are many ways to get things working and as long as you know what you do (and do what you know) it doesn't matter how you do it. It's greatly down to personal preference how you want to get certain ship to work - by integrating it to previous mod folder (like FSPort) or running it from separate mod folder with multimod command line, both work. In some cases, other one works better than the other. But as long as you find a way that works, everything is okay. It's just that some ways of getting stuff to work are better than others. Like, for example, you should almost never install anything extra in main data folder...

I personally prefer keeping "official" releases such as FSPort directory as clean as possible, and I put possible modifications that I want to run with it into separate mod folder. Then I just run both mod folders simultaneously. If I run into problems, it's way easier to do trouble shooting. Turn the other mod directory off - if the basic FSPort works, I know that the problem is somewhere in my alterations.

Fore example, it would be possible to put, for example, Apollo_HTL.vp and Valkyrie_CPR_high.vp into another folder named, for example, FSPort_newShips - directory, and then just run a command line -mod FSPort,FSPort_newShips or something like that. But as I said, putting them inside the FSPort dir works too, as long as you remember that they are there.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Thanks for the answers. I'll bookmark this page for future reference.

I'm glad to hear that that setup is fine. I really prefer everything to look as good as possible, and I'm not concerned with retail compatibility. Now I have another ship to add! I really wish there were just one proper way though.

I also like the root to be as clean as possible.

Is it true that these ships will be rolled into an upcoming vp file?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Alright, the .VP file worked, and I can fly the Athena ships. The Mk II is by far the most deadly multi-role fighter in the game.

Offline ShivanSpS

I already know the answer to that one. .vp files are fine in the root mod dir. extra stuff not in a .vp (except for mod.ini, portv3.bmp, etc.) should go in the appropriate data folder. Only things I can see wrong with that pic are cutscenes.tbl, which goes in fsport\data\tables, and FreeSpace2.fc2, which should probably go in fsport\data\missions (or is it campaigns? I think it's missions.)

EDIT: I checked, it's missions.

if you place the freespace2.fc2 and/or cutscenes.tbl intro "fsport\data\wharever" the files don't work, I tested it before, the same thing tend to hapend which the HTL models in the .vp file, it likely that everything "fsport\data", is override by everything in "fsport\".

The HTL Models should be always released in a .vp, and the files must be placed correctly inside that vp.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
if you place the freespace2.fc2 and/or cutscenes.tbl intro "fsport\data\wharever" the files don't work, I tested it before, the same thing tend to hapend which the HTL models in the .vp file, it likely that everything "fsport\data", is override by everything in "fsport\".

I swear that the file order says that files found in a higher folder in this list overrides the lower ones:
freespace2\modfolder\data\datatypefolder\
freespace2\modfolder\
freespace2\data\datatypefolder\
freespace2\
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline ShivanSpS

I swear that the file order says that files found in a higher folder in this list overrides the lower ones:
freespace2\modfolder\data\datatypefolder\
freespace2\modfolder\
freespace2\data\datatypefolder\
freespace2\

The last time that I try to put the freespace2.fc2 and cutscenes.tbl intro "mod/data/tables" it dont work...

why the **** would you put the campaign in the tables folder?

Offline ShivanSpS

why the **** would you put the campaign in the tables folder?

ups, sorry, i mean missions, anyway, is dont work. None of them. both files must go in the mod folder.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's simply not true. I've been running BtRL as a mod for troubleshooting purposes with a campaign file in Freespace2\BtRL\Data\Missions and I've not had any issues with it.

Be careful not to blame mistakes with priority or suchlike on the code not working. I've made that mistake a couple of times and felt really silly when I walked through the code and found what it was actually loading.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ShivanSpS

you right, it works, but NOW, the last time I try that it don't work... I think it was before the 3.6.9 RCX series...

anyway, more work for the patch :S

Offline ShivanSpS

ahh, remember to rename the Athena.pof to Bomber01.pof or it will not work in fs1_port, also remove that .tbl

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
This might just be me but the small exhaust port under the tail shows nothing, just the two on the wings.
And, at some point will the red lights be fixed on the right wing?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Athena Mk2 doesn't have the tail engine (removed, since more powerfull wing engines have been installed) and the glows have been fixed some time ago...
If you still have trouble with the glows that I really don't know what could be causing them.

@ShivanSps- yes, I generally don't tend to give my HTL models hte same pof name..that way I can have several version of the same ship without any conflicts :D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Well, once again I've tried every single download with the word "Athena" on it and still can't see the red lights on the right side of the ship.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Ok, I've just found out that the red lights for some odd, stupid, and unknown reason only work on direct 3D, which everything looks like crap. On OpenGL, every ship with lights has working red glows...but not the Athena.