Author Topic: One stop downloading for all your freespace needs?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline LT

One stop downloading for all your freespace needs?
Lately I've been watching everything grow at an alarming rate, models here, textures there.

Everything is getting upgraded and finding the source is getting to be a bit of a trouble. It would be nice if alot of these things were put up in one convenient location or mirror.

Instead of having to download and search from eight different threads.

Or unless some one knows where they are I would be much obliged.

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Re: One stop downloading for all your freespace needs?
there are a few sites with a portion of the files but no single website yet.
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline LT

there are a few sites with a portion of the files but no single website yet.

a large majority of them are in the 3.6.10 beta or what ever, but I don't exactly want a bugged version either. : /

Whats a needy FS lover to do?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html

^This is it until we release the next MVP version - which I don't think is far off at all now. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline LT

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html

^This is it until we release the next MVP version - which I don't think is far off at all now. :D

Right, but there are new models that I have to sit and nitpick in order to enjoy. The apollo model for instance, there is also the zeus and most likely others.

I'd just like a place where I can go Oh look this and this and this  on one page like

" Bla bla bla bla all updates here title

Bla bla 1 : Mirror.

Bla bla cruiser: Mirror.

Bla bla bla Vasudan: mirror "

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Just hang on for the new MediaVP release.

Offline LT

Just hang on for the new MediaVP release.

Yea yea : /

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Yea, it'd be nice to have a centralized database storing all the various enhancements popping up here.
MVPs are great, of course, but there is always interesting stuff and alternate ideas that never end up in MVPs. Instead they get lost forever on someones HDs or buried in the internets...

Technically, I guess a simple SVN repository would be enough.  Probably the real problem is that the material here is quite diverse, so it would be hard work to even plan the layout of such a database, not to mention keeping everything organized in the long run.

Well, we can dream..

Offline Kaine

Is this updated... ever? http://scp.indiegames.us/downloads.php

If so, maybe it could be expanded and allow contributors limited access to upload what they've finished/released/want tested?

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Guys... First off - it's not that easy. Databases, uploading... It all costs. Time... and money.

We could do something like "Donate for UberFreeSpaceDatabase.net", but someone would have to look after it and so on.

Anyways... don't only ASK. You can YO'SELF make a topic somewhere, post all of the links to things you can find and ask people to do the same.

Besides -> there's FreeSpacemods.net, that dl site that is left from hades-combine... some downloads CAN be found at the HLP.

Besides2, if the FSUP guys would be working on databases with downloads then they won't have time or coding/modelling/bugfixing etc etc.

Do you want ?
Well, do you?

Sorry for being evul but I hate when everybody just ASK ASK and do nothing in return.

PS
I think that it isn't such a bad idea with the uberfreespacesite :)
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline LT

Guys... First off - it's not that easy. Databases, uploading... It all costs. Time... and money.

We could do something like "Donate for UberFreeSpaceDatabase.net", but someone would have to look after it and so on.

Anyways... don't only ASK. You can YO'SELF make a topic somewhere, post all of the links to things you can find and ask people to do the same.

Besides -> there's FreeSpacemods.net, that dl site that is left from hades-combine... some downloads CAN be found at the HLP.

Besides2, if the FSUP guys would be working on databases with downloads then they won't have time or coding/modelling/bugfixing etc etc.

Do you want ?
Well, do you?

Sorry for being evul but I hate when everybody just ASK ASK and do nothing in return.

PS
I think that it isn't such a bad idea with the uberfreespacesite :)

They could atleast archive a thread with the links to everyones work. A little library that only makers are allowed to access to upload and show everyone their hard work.

What is the point of putting your heart and soul into your work when you can't share it with any one?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
We do. In the form of a non-beta non-buggy official release.

As for contributors, that could be anybody. Could even be people who are not even signed up to HLP. And anything can be a contribution. A model, a texture, a piece of code or an idea. That is sort of the point behind a community.

And if you look up to the top of Hard Light, you will find under External Sites a site called FreeSpaceMods.net. Why not click that instead of typing in here?

They could atleast archive a thread with the links to everyones work.

I'm sorry, but  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Isn't that why this forum has a search function? And Archives? Granted, some direct attachments may have been de-linked, but honestly, if it was worth surviving, it would have. And who knows, maybe someone around here still has it, they just don't know any one else want's it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:03:01 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Yeah but the search function is useless
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You know, as awesome as I know the mediavps are going to be, I've still seen occasions where it would be nice to have access to all the individual releases in one place.  There is a status thread for MediaVP assets, it would be very nice if there was something just like that, but with links to those assets in individual form.  Obviously as was stated, this would take time and energy and hosting.  And it's not right to just ask for it like it would be expected.  But, I understand that it would have a few significant benefits.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Kaine

How about a "releases" forum instead of a thread. In threads releases get buried under "oh wow" posts and re-releases and updates, patches etc. the STALKER forums have a dedicated "mod release" forum section separate from the "mod discussion" forum where people only post when they have released something and again in the same thread for any updates. Each release & associated updates has it's own thread and discussion is kept in a separate discussion thread in the mod discussion forum. People find their own hosting, it's just much easier to find releases because they don't get buried under normal forum activity.