Author Topic: ShivanSpS's modding experiments  (Read 2338 times)

Offline ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS's modding experiments
If you die or fail the mission five times, you can proceed to the next.

The bug you describe is interesting, but although the jump-in distance changed between FS1 and FS2, it should not have changed in the FSPort.  Does Rama wing actually arrive?  Rama will exit the docking bay once you fly to the correct spot.  Follow the Arjuna fighters to see where the docking bay is.  (There are actually two docking bays, one on either side of the ship.  Either one should work.)

I did that mission twice and it did not happen to me, its a wierd thing, caused with some wierd bug on FSO for sure, for example, i was playing reborn last night, and the Krios scape pod just stoped dead for no reason midflight intro the soyakaze hangar... it happened 3 times in a row, closed FS2, and started again, no issue.

BTW, in reborn, the last mission the Deneb planet has no transparency. Or maybe its caused because i dropped the deneb 3 campaign vp intro the fsport folder instead of having a separate mod folder.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: ShivanSpS's modding experiments
Well, that's weird.

You should avoid putting mod data in folders where it's not designed to go.  Use the FSO Installer or Knossos to make sure the mod is installed properly.

It sounds like the Deneb III transparency issue is a FSO bug though.  What build are you using?

Offline ShivanSpS

Well, that's weird.

You should avoid putting mod data in folders where it's not designed to go.  Use the FSO Installer or Knossos to make sure the mod is installed properly.

It sounds like the Deneb III transparency issue is a FSO bug though.  What build are you using?

The problem is, too many mods folders for simple campaigns, destiny of peace, awakenings and deneb 3 should be all part of FSport if you ask me, destiny of peace is fine, awakenings causes a problem with the Asimov on FS port that im trying to figure out and fix, Deneb 3 is also fine from what i can tell, except the Lucifer is also using the planetary beams on the Aquilade Arcadia (easily fix).

You may dont agree with this, but i do that in order to remove unecessary mod folders. In fact my objective now is trying to make it 1 folder for FSPort, the vps, reborn, awakenings, desteny of peace and deneb 3.

Abou the scape pods i have it on video, but im petty sure is caused by some other unreleated error on FS2 3.8.0, it works after reloading FS2 (reloading mission does not work).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:35:45 am by ShivanSpS »

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Well, these mods may all be using different settings for different ships and are all separately balanced for these settings.  I understand your desire, but you are not going to be able to get rid of all the bugs *and* play the campaigns as designed. 

Letting the modders have their separate mod folders gives them the flexibility to use their own slightly different ships, textures, and settings without affecting the resource mods they pull from.

Offline ShivanSpS

Well, these mods may all be using different settings for different ships and are all separately balanced for these settings.  I understand your desire, but you are not going to be able to get rid of all the bugs *and* play the campaigns as designed. 

Letting the modders have their separate mod folders gives them the flexibility to use their own slightly different ships, textures, and settings without affecting the resource mods they pull from.

Yeah, but that can be fixed.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
To do what you are trying to do will probably take you weeks of your free time to learn how to do and accomplish.  And there is no guarantee of success, since the authors may have made irreconcilable choices in their table files.

From a technical standpoint right now, as long as you follow the directions and put up with the little quirks that come with the game, you will more than likely have no issues.

Offline ShivanSpS

Im not having issues, ive already fixed awakenings.

The next thing to try is attempt to merge fsport mediavps with fsport itselft, what should be a matter of having the files loaded in the correct order, a simple "z" on the file names should do the trick unless FSO uses a very weird method for opening files.

If that works, next thing is try to merge ST:R that as far as i know is fully compatible with the rest of fsport so im not expecting issues here but who knows, what im doing is not the normal way of running things.

If this works i would have reduced fsport, fsport mediavps, desteny of peace, deneb 3, awakenings and ST:R to a single folder. If not oh well.

But, again this is kinda a experiment on my part, what matters is having desteny of peace, awakenings and deneb 3 merged with fsport, those are small, short campaigns and i see no point in having diferent folders. I think ive already got everything right and working, but i need to test everything and that is going to take time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:30:59 am by ShivanSpS »

attempt to merge fsport mediavps with fsport itself

Someone did that. ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I mean, it might be possible to consolidate the mods, but it's not a good idea unless you're a modder.  All the organization happens behind the scenes with FSOInstaller and wxLauncher or Knossos, so the mod structure is irrelevant to the player.  The only reason you might want to consolidate is if you're creating a new campaign and you feel more comfortable with a single modpack, like what MjnMixael did for BtA.

And don't assume that mods will be compatible with each other.  Most mods have custom ships.tbl entries, and ST:R has voice acting that interferes with the voice acting in the main FS1 campaign.