Author Topic: Building A New Computer (or just finding the right stuff)  (Read 9122 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Building A New Computer (or just finding the right stuff)
My specs look like this at the moment:
*stuff*
Any objections or suggestions?

I'd get the Sapphire, just because its a better brand for ATI cards the HIS is.

Otherwise... nope, looks good.  :yes:

Looks good to me, with one or two changes that, personally, I would make, but that are more based on personal bias than anything.

I've not had particularly good luck with Seagate drives; for me, I usually go with Western Digital. For primary OS discs, usually a Caviar Black, and if costs are prohibitive a Caviar Blue.

I am currently using a Sapphire 4870, and have used XFX cards before, but I've not heard anything bad about HIS either.

Personally, I would go with the slightly cheaper HIS card, and grab a Western Digital Caviar Blue: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769, But keep in mind that the Seagate may be perfectly fine as well.

When you're playing in this price range, you're lucky to get a new HDD and not a refurbished one. As much as i dislike Seagate, the current HDD prices are ruining it for everyone. :nono:

All of my cards are XFX, Their Double Lifetime warranty (one for you, one for the guy you give it to, which isnt broken by overclocking or aftermarker coolers) along with none of them dieing on me earned them a bit of my brand loyalty.  :)
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Looks good to me, with one or two changes that, personally, I would make, but that are more based on personal bias than anything.

I've not had particularly good luck with Seagate drives; for me, I usually go with Western Digital. For primary OS discs, usually a Caviar Black, and if costs are prohibitive a Caviar Blue.

I am currently using a Sapphire 4870, and have used XFX cards before, but I've not heard anything bad about HIS either.

Personally, I would go with the slightly cheaper HIS card, and grab a Western Digital Caviar Blue: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769, But keep in mind that the Seagate may be perfectly fine as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-5.html claims that at high (not ultra) with FXAA, a 6850 can churn out a more than a constant 60 fps. Personally, I'm fine right down to 25-30, but that's up to you.

In fact, if you look further along in that review, Skyrim completely mostly maxed out (4x AA, etc.) at that resolution sits at around 47 fps on average. Plenty quick enough in my books.

Yeah, I'm gonna throw in my lot with WD drives, too, the Caviar Black is nice.

A couple of things to keep in mind if you go with a Radeon card, though, is a lot of devs are in bed with Nvidia these days and I've noticed that an increasing number of games seem to have problems and glitches with Radeon cards that the devs don't even bother with because they're not paid enough to care. Also, their first-party software SUCKS something fierce. Don't get me wrong, though, I love the cards themselves. Just don't ever, ever install the Catalyst Control Center.  :p

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-5.html claims that at high (not ultra) with FXAA, a 6850 can churn out a more than a constant 60 fps. Personally, I'm fine right down to 25-30, but that's up to you.

In fact, if you look further along in that review, Skyrim completely mostly maxed out (4x AA, etc.) at that resolution sits at around 47 fps on average. Plenty quick enough in my books.

A couple of things to keep in mind if you go with a Radeon card, though, is a lot of devs are in bed with Nvidia these days and I've noticed that an increasing number of games seem to have problems and glitches with Radeon cards that the devs don't even bother with because they're not paid enough to care. Also, their first-party software SUCKS something fierce. Don't get me wrong, though, I love the cards themselves. Just don't ever, ever install the Catalyst Control Center.  :p

Considering CCC is required by the drivers, good luck with that. Unless you have another way for force AA, AF, or any other 3d setting any settings at all (including eyefinity, hydravision, screen EDID, etc), of cource, them i'm all ears. MSI Afterburner can replace CCC for clock/fan management though.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
What's wrong with Seagate? I've had good experiences with them but that was mostly external drives.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline LHN91

My main issue with Seagate drives stems from, in general, less drive cache and slightly lower performance; also, the last one I had died within three weeks of purchase. Admittedly, after coming back from the RMA, it's been a reliable external drive, but the Caviar Black I bought to replace it has been absolutely wonderful, and the Caviar Blue's I've dealt with have also been good.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine

Ok, so....you're suggesting I use Omega or DNA drivers?
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline LHN91

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
Whoops, sorry. I imagine I can't get a good one cheaper than that.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
What's wrong with Seagate? I've had good experiences with them but that was mostly external drives.

Its not so much "they suck" as it is "they suck in comparison to WD". The drive is fine, especialy considering you'd have to pay a small premium to get a 500gb WD drive.

This is mostly just brand preference, but WD has more fans out there then Seagate does, which says something. Maybe it's the easily identifiable performance levels.

Whoops, sorry. I imagine I can't get a good one cheaper than that.

Not really, that's the cheapest 500GB Caviar Blue i've seen.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
I've bought a Sapphire Radeon before, but as much as I like their cards I am somewhat turned off by the fact that their rebate program is by all accounts blatantly fraudulent.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I've bought a Sapphire Radeon before, but as much as I like their cards I am somewhat turned off by the fact that their rebate program is by all accounts blatantly fraudulent.

Then its a good thing that this card doesnt have a rebate. Also, if you buy and get a rebate through newegg, its newegg's rebate (and it is crap), not Sapphire's.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

no more so than anyone else's. i got my rebate just fine from sapphire.  TBH i can't remember if i ever did from HIS.  they delay them so damn long i pretty much forget about them after submitting.  in any case, i almost always go with the cheapest brand unless they do something stupid with their design (like single slotting a high-end card).  powercolor is the only one i avoid always. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
I've had a fair bit of difficulty with the only HIS card I ever bought. So there's that.

[anecdote != data, etc, etc.]
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So I recently won a motherboard from WoWs for participating in a forum contest and decided I may as well build a desktop around it since I currently only have a laptop.  Here is the potential build:

CPU:   Intel Core i7-5820K 0 GT/s 6-Cores FCLGA2011-3 Desktop Processor
          Corsair Hydro Series H110 280 mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MB:    Gigabyte X99-Ultra Gaming
GPU:  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GDDR5 256 bit PCI-E 3.0 x 16 Windforce OC
RAM:  Kingston HyperX FURY Black 32GB Kit (4x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 DIMM Intel XMP Desktop Memory
HDD:  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
          WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive
PSU:  FSP Group 550W Modular Cable Power Supply 80 PLUS Platinum AURUM 92+ Series (
Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Gaming Case

Any C&C would be appreciated.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

32 gigs of ram seems a bit overkill. I realize that overkill is more or less the point of the motherboard you got there, but I don't know of any situation where 16 RAM isn't already overkill and there's no quantifiable difference between overkill and overkill. I don't think you will notice any difference (outside of paleogeology), let alone one that justifies the 150 euro price difference between a 32GB kit and the same 16GB kit from the same brand.

Offline Snarks

Take it from me, someone who bought 32 GB of RAM. I thought I was future proofing myself, but it turns out I just wasted that money. I think 16 GB is the sweet spot and will continue to be for a while. Some people have reported some choke-ups running with just 8 GB and since RAM has been pretty cheap the last few years, getting 16 GB isn't unreasonable.

I'll tell you what I don't regret though. Buying a 3 TB hard drive. I can easily fill up one TB, so giving myself an extra buffer of 2 TBs helps a lot. (Currently using 2 TB out of 3).

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So revise RAM to:

Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit

HD Memory is cheap so if I need to tack on more I can pick up as needed, any other modifications I should make?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Axem

Bruh, you're going to be in love with that case. I got that one for a recent upgrade, its big, but the cable organization is so worth it. The only thing to watch out is the smaller CPU power cable from the power supply was just barely long enough to go around the back for me.

Also does that motherboard support M.2? Looking at Gigabyte's page it appears to... I'd recommend upgrading from a SATA3 SSD to a M.2 SSD. The price difference might just be $20 or so, but you'll make up for it in speed. (SATA 3 is 6Gb/s, while M.2 can be up to 32Gb/s)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Bruh, you're going to be in love with that case. I got that one for a recent upgrade, its big, but the cable organization is so worth it. The only thing to watch out is the smaller CPU power cable from the power supply was just barely long enough to go around the back for me.

Also does that motherboard support M.2? Looking at Gigabyte's page it appears to... I'd recommend upgrading from a SATA3 SSD to a M.2 SSD. The price difference might just be $20 or so, but you'll make up for it in speed. (SATA 3 is 6Gb/s, while M.2 can be up to 32Gb/s)

I love my Fractal Design (Define S w/window) -- I agree, great cases!  (Although, mine has the hard disks mounted behind the motherboard instead of in front, which I prefer - much neater & better airflow IMHO).  Give it a look if you think you might be interested in that idea.