Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422713 times)

Offline m!m

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Builds older than 3.8 are not supported by Knossos. You need to use wxLauncher for that but that launcher does not support the mod structure Knossos uses. Why do you need 3.7.4?

Okay than. I wanted to test someting with elder builds.

Couldn't you just name the old builts exactly the same like the current builts and than smuggle them in?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Couldn't you just name the old builts exactly the same like the current builts and than smuggle them in?

I think there is communication between FSO and the launcher and the protocols used are different (don't quote me; feel free to correct if this is not the case).

Although I wonder how hard it would be to make older builds use Knossos protocol for mods etc that have not been / maybe will never be updated by FSCRP.  Probably too hard to bother with I imagine.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Any time to try this?  Found perhaps a couple more methods around it in case it comes in handy:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/10001420

Hidden Text: Show
Warning! While this approach was probably more or less OK for the original poster, it isn't really a good idea in general. In particular, note (as per the comment thread) that artificially manipulated tokens have been reported to cause problems in more complicated applications, so if you are using them, be sure to stick to the basic Win32 API. There are of course also potential security implications.

In most scenarios similar to those of the OP, it would probably be preferable to replace the shortcut that launches the elevated application with a launcher application. The launcher can then remain running for as long as the elevated application is running, and provide a natural limited token for the elevated application to use to launch non-elevated processes.

There's code for launching a low integrity process, which is analogous to your case, in the Designing Applications to Run at a Low Integrity Level article in MSDN.

First, you duplicate the process token, since you can't (or at least shouldn't) mess about with a token that is already being used. Then you use SetTokenInformation with the TokenIntegrityLevel class to set the integrity level. There appears to be a bug in the example code, since the correct SID for low integrity level is S-1-16-4096 rather than S-1-16-1024, but you'll want medium integrity level anyway, which is S-1-16-8192. These can be found here.

Once you have this working (that is, once you are able to launch medium integrity processes from your high integrity process) you should try using CreateRestrictedToken to create the new token instead of DuplicateToken, and remove the Administrators token and all privileges (except SeChangeNotifyPrivilege). Otherwise, the new processes will have medium integrity but still have administrator privilege, which could make it easier for any malicious code that might be running in the same session to elevate its privileges.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/9914500

Hidden Text: Show
I've used the approach described here to accomplish this. The basic idea is to ask Explorer to run Process B for you. Since Explorer typically runs at medium integrity level, this gives you what you want.

http://brandonlive.com/2008/04/26/getting-the-shell-to-run-an-application-for-you-part-1-why/

http://brandonlive.com/2008/04/27/getting-the-shell-to-run-an-application-for-you-part-2-how/

The first link will at least give you a good background.

We have a legacy application (Process A) that unfortunately has to run with elevated "admin" privileges (accomplished by setting its shortcut to always run as administrator).

A cleaner way to do that is set the requestedExecutionLevel to the manifest.

2)
The cause is that once an application has admin permissions in Windows, it can't drop them.

Can something like this be done?  Again, it would involve invoking a second instance of Knossos, so that would have to be supported (first one could always exit after launching non-elevated version?)

Quote from: lx07;432442
You can also do it the other way around and start a program as your normal user from a elevated cmd prompt using the runas command.

If you use the /savecred parameter you'll only be asked for your password once.

For example with your forum name and notepad

Code: [Select]
C:\WINDOWS\system32>runas /user:cniggeler /savecred notepad

or to open a certain file with your program (for example C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>runas /user:cniggeler /savecred "notepad \C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log"

EDIT2: Got it!! (well, pretty sure anyways) right  here:

SetTokenInformation
Change Token to Medium Integrity Level

https://weblogs.asp.net/kennykerr/Windows-Vista-for-Developers-_1320_-Part-4-_1320_-User-Account-Control

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Reaming builds to be exactly the same is a pain if you are trying to bug find and again doesn't work after 3.8. The easiest solution is to just setup a wxLauncher folder for testing older builds. I say this from experience trying it both ways  :)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I think there is communication between FSO and the launcher and the protocols used are different (don't quote me; feel free to correct if this is not the case).
Older FSO versions used to store settings, pilot files, etc. in the game directory while 3.8.0 and later store them in AppData. You can launch older builds with Knossos but all the fs2_open.ini settings made through Knossos wouldn't work since the build will be looking in the wrong place. You can still manually edit the fs2_open.ini, of course. There's another bug affecting macOS and possibly Windows in older builds that breaks the way Knossos handles the mod folder structure. Those builds change the current working directory (or root directory) to the same directory the exe file is in. Afterwards, it obviously won't be able to find any mods.

Adapting old builds to work with Knossos isn't too hard but I'm not exactly sure why you'd want that either.

@jr2: Sorry, not yet.

I'm currently stuck on an annoying bug on macOS. Whenever I launch the packaged version of Knossos, the HTML UI fails to initialize. It's somehow related to the way I package Qt with Knossos but I have no clue what the exact cause is. If anyone wants to help out (and has a macOS installation handy), feel free to speak up and I'll explain the build process for Knossos. If I can find no other solution, I might just remove Qt from the Knossos build which would mean that every macOS user would have to install Qt before using Knossos but at least that'd work.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I have MacOS Mojave installed via Clover on this machine, which should work the same as normal MacOS as far as I'm aware.  What exactly do you need me to do?
EDIT: I have to work a 12 hour shift the next two days and a 6 hour after that, so if I take a while getting back to you that's why.  Should be able to poke at it for a bit during that time though.

EDIT2: Wait.  Do you mean help like coding help or help like try different patches and things out and report back help?  I'm useless for coding unfortunately :ick:  (I mean... slightly better than a monkey with a typewriter I imagine? :lol: ).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:28:02 pm by jr2 »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Sorry for the late reply.

@jr2: Being able to code isn't necessary but I suppose it'll be hard to find the problem without understanding the code or being familiar with Qt on macOS.
Still, you can try the last macOS build and tell me if it works or launches with just a grey window: https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases/download/v0.14.0-rc.1/Knossos-0.14.0-rc.1.dmg

Should the sorting option in Knossos work? When I try to sort the list by Last released or Last updated, nothing happens.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Knossos 0.14.0, for this version these functions work just fine (for me).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Knossos 0.14.0, for this version these functions work just fine (for me).

Awesome, that worked. I thought 0.13.3 was the latest version. Thanks.

Thread title needs some little update then~

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
0.14.0-RC.1 is technically the latest version but the download links at the top and the auto update function still install 0.13.3 since RC1 still has a few bugs I have to fix. Also, the macOS build is broken and I still have no idea why... :/

So, yeah. I'll fix at least the general bugs that I know about before I make it a "proper" release. RC1 was mostly meant as a solution for a pressing issue (huge mod uploads) and to discover new bugs. I knew that it added bugs (since the 0.13.3 release was so long ago) so I didn't want to force anyone (especially new people!) through that.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Sorry for the late reply.

@jr2: Being able to code isn't necessary but I suppose it'll be hard to find the problem without understanding the code or being familiar with Qt on macOS.
Still, you can try the last macOS build and tell me if it works or launches with just a grey window: https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases/download/v0.14.0-rc.1/Knossos-0.14.0-rc.1.dmg

It launches with a gray window.  Has "Knossos 0.14.0" logo in the top-left.  That's it.  It's not frozen or anything; I can move and resize it.  But.. Umm, MacOS has your window-controls at the top-left, the red x, yellow -, and green double-arrow buttons.  For whatever reason Knossos is showing up with Windows window controls at the top-right.  All 3 controls are fully functional; however, if you get a pure Mac user that might cause some consternation.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
...and I reappear! :D

I have a MacBook Pro that I could use to help debug the macOS-specific issue. It's running High Sierra I think, but I can update it to Mojave or whatever the latest is if needed (I don't use it that often).

Also ngld, can you e-mail me with the list of release blockers for 0.14.0 and I'll see if I can squash any of them?

Currently juggling two major RL projects on top of work and the usual, but I'll take a look when I can.

EDIT: Slight correction.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:45:18 am by jg18 »

Hi all! Just installed Knossos on Kubuntu 19.04. While attempting the install I get a dependency error saying I was missing "python3-token-bucket". This package seems to be peculiar to Knossos, and isn't available in standard repositories. I was able to track down a copy on the Knossos launchpad.net page, but it wasn't obvious from the install instructions that that's what I was supposed to do. Is this the expected procedure or is something in the install not working right? Thanks!

Offline Rico

Hey,

Just tried to install this for the first time on my linux gaming desktop and receive the below error:

sudo apt-get install knossos
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 knossos : Depends: python3-token-bucket but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I am running Ubuntu 19.04 and have added the PPA from the instructions here - https://fsnebula.org/knossos/

Can someone please direct me as to where I can get the missing "python3-token-bucket" package?

EDIT: I found the .deb file in the launchpad at https://launchpad.net/~ngld/+archive/ubuntu/knossos/+packages works perfectly as per SirCumference comment above. Thanks for the heads up!  :yes:

Unfortunately after installing Knossos it now gives an error that says "I don't know how to handle "\override_dh_link"! I only know fso:// ."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:22:25 am by Rico »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You can 'workaround' that by making /usr/bin/knossos look like this:
$ cat /usr/bin/knossos
#!/bin/bash
exec python3 /usr/share/knossos/knossos/__main__.py
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Dunno if this is fixed in 0.14.0 RC1, but in 0.13.3 either setting a download limit or reducing the number of active downloads only appears to do anything after all the downloads that were started already finish. I'm on Australian internet, so 512kb/s is literally half of my bandwidth on a GOOD day, and when I just started Knossos downloading something on a fresh install with 3 simultaeneous unlimited downloads it immediately chewed up almost all my bandwidth. I limited it to 512, then to 128, then reduced the number of actives from 3 to 2. It still kept the three active, with one going hammer and tong at ~700kb/s, and the other two using the rest of my bandwidth for ~100 on one and ~200 on the other. Only when the first was done did it register that I wanted it to only have two actives, and when there was one of the old unlimited downloads and one new limited to 128 download, the old one was sitting at around 900kb/s. Once it finished and the only downloads active were from after I put the limits on, then it started behaving. It's just that until the last of the original three finished, I had essentially 54k dial-up speeds back for everything else I wanted to do on the internet combined! Was an unpleasant reminder. And most webpages are a LOT bigger nowadays, so loading was taking even longer than they used to!

EDIT: Hm, interesting... Last night it was treating the download limit as a per-active-download thing, even once it opened new downloads - a limit of 128kb/s was the max for each download separately, after it started respecting that limit at all. After a restart, it's now treating it as a total-bandwidth-for-Knossos thing - a limit of 512kb/s and two active downloads sees one going at around 300kb/s and the other at around 200.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 09:06:00 pm by RecklessPrudence »