Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134688 times)

Take intent into consideration too: would you kill bill gates right now despite the medical foundation he set up?

off course! After all, we don't need him to run his medical foundation. Instead, we can give *all* his money to the medical foundation rather then the paltry amount of money he gives to it so he can sleep at night! Also, viruses don't take intent into consideration, why should we?

According to current US stats roughly 5 percent of the people who contracted Corona have died, so we save five times as many people by just keeping the lockdown in place with the money we stole from the rich!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:48:41 am by -Joshua- »

And if you think that is entirely extreme then yes, you are right!

But so is the notion of ending the lockdown to send people back to work, corona be damned. The whole point is, off course, to put the comments of people who feel the economy is more important then human lives into perspective. Just going out there and letting people contract the virus is just as a discriminative method of killing people as killing the wealthy, becuase the virus is going to be contracted not by people like the GOP governor who proposed it (since he *can* stay at home and still do his work and gets free medical care as part of his position) but the workers on the factory floor (who can't afford medical care).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:48:04 am by -Joshua- »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Speaking of not having the cure be worse than the disease:

Let's talk about hydroxychloroquine.

Researchers analyzed medical records of 368 male veterans hospitalized with confirmed coronavirus infection at Veterans Health Administration medical centers who died or were discharged by April 11.

About 28% who were given hydroxychloroquine plus usual care died, versus 11% of those getting routine care alone. About 22% of those getting the drug plus azithromycin died too, but the difference between that group and usual care was not considered large enough to rule out other factors that could have affected survival.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

But did they take the "right dose" of 500mg?

Offline starlord

Hmm. Was half afraid of that. Hydroxychloroquine here (in France) has literally put people in a frenzy, with many of them believing that the cure works (to be fair, Dr Raoult is a very strong authority in infectious diseases, but I was somewhat weary as to how he dragged the whole thing in front of the media), and that the reason the cure is not here is due to the government and/or big pharma acting against it.

On the other hand, if that was actually recommended by the Chinese health practitioners at some point, who are well acquainted with SARS, then I’d like to understand why.

Also, trick question, but when were the cohorts administered with hydroxychloroquine? I believe it was mentioned that past a certain threshold (namely heavy lung scarification) it would be useless,  but don’t take my word for it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:53:11 pm by starlord »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Take intent into consideration too: would you kill bill gates right now despite the medical foundation he set up?

I bought Windows ME. Not only would I suggest we kill him, I'd pull the trigger myself. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline starlord

... I can’t defend that!

Sorry bill, you’re on your own.

I think in 50 years looking back at all this junk, the denial-ism about pandemics, the environment, the huge resurgence of nationalism, tribalism and intolerance, the referendum is going to be, "This was avoidable, but most people just didn't care."

As someone who studies history, we frequently mock people who lived in medieval times or prior ages as ignorant. And I think in some ways in the past 100 years, we've shown in large parts of the world we're still just as bad off or even worse.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think in 50 years looking back at all this junk, the denial-ism about pandemics, the environment, the huge resurgence of nationalism, tribalism and intolerance, the referendum is going to be, "This was avoidable, but most people just didn't care."

As someone who studies history, we frequently mock people who lived in medieval times or prior ages as ignorant. And I think in some ways in the past 100 years, we've shown in large parts of the world we're still just as bad off or even worse.

I've genuinely lost almost all faith in representative democracy at this point.  It only works if the voting populace is reasonably well-informed and has a vested interest in the betterment of society.  And, well, ****ing look at us.

My employer has announced that they're reopening on the fourth.

Profits over people.

Offline Aesaar

I've genuinely lost almost all faith in representative democracy at this point.  It only works if the voting populace is reasonably well-informed and has a vested interest in the betterment of society.  And, well, ****ing look at us.

I completely lost faith in the American system at the federal level back in January (and I'm pretty sure the upcoming election will only reinforce that), but this crisis has made me feel pretty good about Canada.  Our government has been doing a pretty decent job.  Not perfect by any means, but not bad either.

My history studies have taught me one thing above all others: Technology may have changed, but people have not.  People are exactly the same now as they were 2000 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 08:30:02 pm by Aesaar »

Profits over people.
I’m sorry. That’s an awful choice to be faced with. Any chance of them letting you work remotely?

I have a feeling I will be as well shortly.  At least my wife and kids can handle all of their school and work from home because Texas decided not to reopen school campuses until next school year. But I doubt I’ll be allowed to work from home for much longer.

It’s madness. When they finally have to face reality and put the lock down back in place, the damage in terms of dead bodies AND financial ruin will be even worse than if we just keep the doors closed long enough to let this run it’s course.

The idea that I could be turned into a vector to infect my family despite all the care we’ve taken so far is terrifying and monstrous!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The governor of a neighboring state made a point of noting that they'd "only closed schools until the 15th of May thus far."  As a teacher, even IF it was safe to go back...what the flying **** would be the point of having the kids back all of 2 or 3 weeks before summer break starts?

Offline starlord

I would make a point as teachers to notify all janitors in schools to double up on hygiene especially in lavatories and public rooms (lots of hydrogels and hankies if you can spare them). Schools are notorious Petri dishes.

My parent is returning to duty as a teacher on the 11th of may here in France. I share the sentiment that this is stupid.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
People in the majority are quite fickle, having been around the block a few times and worked closely with people from most backgrounds and cultural heritages,  you get good ones and bad ones, but I genuinely believe that most of them that make it through will feel a bit invincible and be more prone to taking risks in life with little justification.     Like when you pass a driving test and have false confidence.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:08:44 am by Colonol Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I would make a point as teachers to notify all janitors in schools to double up on hygiene especially in lavatories and public rooms (lots of hydrogels and hankies if you can spare them). Schools are notorious Petri dishes.

My parent is returning to duty as a teacher on the 11th of may here in France. I share the sentiment that this is stupid.
Exactly.  I inevitably get several rounds of colds/sniffles during even a normal school year.  Fortunately our state's governor shut things down for good a few weeks back, so even as conditions improve we'll stay safely home.  Admittedly it really sucks for the seniors, though.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
As a teacher, even IF it was safe to go back...what the flying **** would be the point of having the kids back all of 2 or 3 weeks before summer break starts?

Do note that this is how the school system works. It's not about letting people learn and improve, it's about stamping a tick inside the minimal total amount of "days/hours present" boxes so the administration can pat themselves on the back because statistics say they have achieved education.

I believe people can both effectively learn and work in their homes, I really do. And for reasons other and possibly bigger than resistance to infection spread. But that would need gigantic changes both in systems and mentality, and will probably be a matter of decades, still. But hopefully setting the things in motion in this regard is going to be one of the good things we can take out of this pandemic.

In other news... The US financial relief program gets, obviously, a propaganda response that is loved by the people...

...but then in practice, it turns out the PPP program is basically a way for the government to pump cash into banks who in turn pump it into the most indebted companies (Louis Rossmann's video)...

...and oh, guess what, that makes the program run out of money nearly instantly.

And it turns out the New York's mayor thinks that the best way of enforcing social distancing is to literally become a Soviet state in the middle of the US?

YouTube links stripped.  See the previous posts about dissemination of video from non-credible sources.  - MP-Ryan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:35:30 am by MP-Ryan »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Profits over people.
I’m sorry. That’s an awful choice to be faced with. Any chance of them letting you work remotely?

No chance.  I run a big, chunky industrial machine that takes 480V AC input.  I couldn't run it at home, even if I could get it here.

Like you, I'm worried as much or moreso about being a vector of infection for my family than the direct impact of getting infected myself.  My parents are in the "high risk" age demographic, and I'd quite like to not kill them.

But stock prices matter more than the lives of a few retirees, so damn the curve!  Full steam ahead!

And it turns out the New York's mayor thinks that the best way of enforcing social distancing is to literally become a Soviet state in the middle of the US?

Can you explain how this is comparable to declaring martial law to supress political thought?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:06:33 am by -Joshua- »