Author Topic: Starshatter Source Code Released  (Read 17030 times)

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Re: Starshatter Source Code Released
Speaking as an SCP programmer, the question has to be what can Starshatter do that FS2_Open can't do?

It can be windows-only and beat my wine setup with a stick, apparently. FS2O doesn't tend to do that, being native and *nix_64 compatible and all.

(I just had a rather difficult couple of hours playing config games.)
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, Starshatter open was built using the latest DirectX SDK and the Visual C 2010 runtime. Those kinda need to be there in one form or another.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Also of note is the fact that Starshatter features both a large space-based combat environment (which FS has solely) and room-based environments. More specifically, it has multiple spaces which can be active simultaneously. Thus, combat can be happening in multiple different regions at the same time while the player is engaging in his or her own mission.

Atmospheric missions are not all too impressive as far as flight sims go, and they are fairly rudimentary (which in itself doesn't make them bad). As of this time, planets really only have one "room" assigned to them so far as I can tell. Entry to system sectors, orbits, and planets are once more all room-based. Thus, one does not simply fly to a planet - they will hit a key to break orbit and then wind up in the planet's atmosphere (in a fashion similar to our beloved Derek Smart's approach); leaving the planet is as simple as hitting the burners and climbing to high enough of an altitude to enter orbit. Thus, unlike FS, I do not need to wait while a new portion of the mission is loaded - I'm already there.

There are a multitude of things which still must be determined about the engine. For the vanilla game, I believe the program is using realistic units and... semi-realistic physics to do the job, which is not bad. However, the visual scale is very similar to what was seen in BtRL, where though the units are normal, the physical scale of the objects in the engine are not. The best way to illustrate this is to look at a pair of fighters in formation. Your wingman is said to be 2km from you, yet he seemingly cannot be more than a few hundred meters! The problem is that the engine also displays the size of the ships in the reference lab; understanding where and how the engine processes units and displays sizes is among one of the first tasks which must be completed in the process of potentially enhancing the game's physics, etc. That, along with visual updates (which are already progressing, mostly thanks to rscaper) will assumedly be among the first updates to the software.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
IIRC, all ships are simply scaled up by a factor of 4.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The easiest means of determining that is actually trying the software, in all respect, Kara.

Unfortunately that would involve finding the free time to play it. I'm sure I'll eventually get around to it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Is there any instruction manual available for this game?

The tutorial missions are not as detailed as in FS, and I still can't figure out how to change to the next waypoint other than flying to the current one...
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline m!m

A manual would be cool but your mentioned problem can be solved by pressing Alt-N (default) to skip the current Nav-point or you can just delete the current point in the NAV view (by pressing N, then selecting the Nav point, right click on it and then click on delete).

EDIT: I found a this on starshattermods: http://www.starshattermods.com/downloads.php?cat_id=9&download_id=169. Looks like a manual.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:15:15 pm by m!m »

There's a quick reference card for download on replacementdocs. It looks like it's for the first Starshatter game but the key settings are probably the same or very similar. http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.1500

OK, thanks
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
There's a manual included with the game; you probably ought to look through the "Manuals" directory for starters...

Next, yes, the training missions are not as effective as FS's training missions. The best way to learn is probably by just toying around with the game. However, if you need to skip a nav point, keep this in mind: In the campaign, you are always the flight leader. Your wingman is thus linked to your nav coordinates. To skip a nav point, just delete it in the navigation window.

You should also be advised that due to the inefficiencies of the AI, any mission you take or then edit for your own purposes will need to be properly coordinated with respect to waypoints and operations at those waypoints. Fro instance, your wingman is generally pretty good at taking orders to go after a fighter, but needs to be on an assualt objective/waypoint to target an enemy ship with missiles in most instances.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Oh.
My.
Gawd.

I was actually thinking about where I put my install disc for this game, I was thinking about playing around with it some more, A few years ago I made a couple of basic ships for it, my "best" being a sort of MiG-21 crossed with an X-wing.

Never got the UV mapping function of the modelling software though, and I had a habit of making the ship backwards 1/2 the time.

So I got the Kvasir into Starshatter. I was originally going to post this in Esarai's Fleetpack thread but then thought twice about the derail potential. I guess until there's a more appropriate venue this thread will just have to do.

There's still a bunch I have to do. Shields are a problem, you can have shields on a fighter but they don't behave correctly. There's probably going to have to be some code side help to get them working like FS shields. Also, there's a way to get the cockpit glass transparent, I just haven't applied it yet.

Here's a short test vid. That's the AI flying and I edited it down some.

http://youtu.be/hT2QuEoDtek

Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Here's another combat test. This time a Deimos and Karuna duke it out while a bunch of Kvasir and Kentauroi dogfight. I've kept the damage and hitpoints the same but I've had to play around with the ranges due to the speed difference. I'm still figuring out the effects but it's still a pretty good start.

Once again this is the AI playing...

http://youtu.be/lEb8sr0yvRI

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Good times!

EDIT-

Will this work with the demo?
Only thing i could find.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Whoa, rscaper, that's really cool.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Good times!

EDIT-

Will this work with the demo?
Only thing i could find.

Dekker, have you bothered to read anything? All the information you need to gather with respect to getting this game is effectively linked in this thread.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I did, but the link to the full game wasn't working last I heard :3
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm... There are ways around that. RScaper put up a guide to circumvent those issues, unless I'm mistaken. You ought to try downloading it again, Dekker. :)

...Look for the 5.0.5 "full download." It's not actually the full download (you can thank that Boyd chap for his obstinance on that regard), but RS has provided the rest to you.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Whoa, rscaper, that's really cool.

Thanks, unfortunately the engine is going to need some work to do WiH proper justice. Right now the only class of ship that can launch and recover space craft are carriers. Classifying ships with fighter bays carriers is a work around but I'd rather it be fixed code side. And then there's the weapon and explosion effects code that could use some work. All of which is well out of my skill set.

I did, but the link to the full game wasn't working last I heard :3

It's working, you just need to register to download. Use this Install Guide

Offline stele

Starshatter mods site appears to be down.

Did this stuff ever get mirrored anywhere else?  I was just talking to a friend about how I'd always wanted a dynamic campaign and he said hey that Starshatter game is open source.  This topic was the 2nd google hit not from the starshattermods.com.

EDIT: My friend found a repository at SpaceSimCentral which seems to have all the necessary files.  Just leave that there in case anyone else is searching.  :cool:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:50:16 am by stele »