Author Topic: RELEASE: Their Finest Hour 2.0  (Read 14799 times)

Offline Thadeus

RELEASE: Their Finest Hour 2.0
EDIT: Version 2.1 is up, fixing the position of the Colossus, adding the starfield, and changing the Demon's name.

The GTVA is overwhelmed. While the juggernauts haven't openly attacked, their supporting fleet runs rampant across Capella. The Security Council has authorized sealing off the system, and the Bastion has been deployed to close the Epsilon Pegasi node. In order to give the Bastion time to complete it's mission, a diversionary force is sent to the Gamma Draconis node. It's goal - piss off the Shivans as much as possible.

http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.499

Since nobody told me I should give up FREDing after seeing my test release, I decided to update the mission.

INSTRUCTIONS

- Extract into your main FreeSpace 2 folder.

- Select it with the launcher.

- Go to the tech room, select Single Missions, and play.

- ????

- Profit.

FEATURES

- Capships that aren't beamlocked

- A Colossus that kicks a little more ass

- Competent wingmen

- Just play it
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:07:00 pm by Thadeus »
*kills topic*

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: RELEASE: Their Finest Hour 2.0
WOOOOO! RELEASE!

Downloading new itunes atm, as soon as it's done I'll try this one out.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
AWSM! Downloading.

Still full of win, and the second Sathanas doesn't overshoot now. :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:03:59 am by Commander Zane »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
you are missing the starfield.pof on that screenshot.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Thadeus

Still full of win, and the second Sathanas doesn't overshoot now.

I still don't know why you were ever having that problem. I didn't even change its position at all.

you are missing the starfield.pof on that screenshot.

Since I'm still a newb at FREDing, I don't actually know what that is. If you're referring to my screenshot being dark, I like to play with no ambient light.
*kills topic*

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Still full of win, and the second Sathanas doesn't overshoot now.

I still don't know why you were ever having that problem. I didn't even change its position at all.

Well that's odd, when it did happen it jumps in, fires the BFReds and if the Colossus doesn't die it flies overhead firing its aft LRed.

Since I'm still a newb at FREDing, I don't actually know what that is. If you're referring to my screenshot being dark, I like to play with no ambient light.

I don't know if this is right but I think if you just install the 3.6.10 MediaVPs it has a newer starfield with colored stars in it.

Offline Thadeus

I don't know if this is right but I think if you just install the 3.6.10 MediaVPs it has a newer starfield with colored stars in it.

I did install 3.6.10. The beams change pretty drastically between 3.6.9 and 3.6.10, so I'm pretty sure I didn't screw that up.
*kills topic*

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You need to use the starfield.pof skybox to enable the textured starfield. FRED_Open should have an option for it in the background editor.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Thadeus

Well this is kinda embarrassing.

I found out that even though I had the 3.6.10 mediavps, I was still using a 3.6.9 build. And when I switched to a 3.6.10 build, the Colossus ends up several thousand meters ahead of where it was before.  :wtf:

I guess that explains the issues with the second Sath overshooting.

Anyway, I'm looking into that starfield thing, but I also realized that I had a spelling mistake in the mission. I blame the testers for not catching it the first time around.  :D

SD Abbadon --> SD Abaddon

If we keep finding mistakes, I guess I'll just have to re-release it.
*kills topic*

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I thought the Abaddon was already used for the Corvette that attacks the Aquitaine in Argonautica?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Thadeus

You're right. :nervous:

I had checked the list of named ships, but since I was using the misspelled version of the name my search didn't show anything.
*kills topic*

Offline Thadeus

FYI, 2.1 is out. Just to fix some of these minor issues.
*kills topic*

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Sweet. :)

Offline Nuclear1

Wow, for a first mission ever, I'm legitimately impressed.

No, seriously, I'm playing it through it the fifth time in a row right now. The only real issue I have with it is the dialogue, as it doesn't feel doomish enough, but even that's minor.

Wow, that was fun. Great choice of music too!
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Okay, finally managed to get this installed right  :nervous:

And, I'm really impressed  :yes:
It needs some touches, someone mentioned the dialouge, but it's a really good mission. And I've got to complement on the music choice again.

Is there a way to make the music continue during the debrief screen? In my opinion the debrief music broke the atmosphere a little.

What program are you using to extract the files from .rar?  I rely on 7zip but it can't open this one. I would think corrupt download but not three times in a row.

Offline Terminator

• Just another guy...
my 7zip doesnt seem to want to open it. WinRAR opens it fine.

Also, my favorite part of the mission:

Spoiler:
"GTD Orpheus, here to reinfor... ****! Open fire with all batteries! I want our fighters out the hangar five seconds ago!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Spoiler:
"GTD Orpheus, here to reinfor... ****! Open fire with all batteries! I want our fighters out the hangar five seconds ago!"
Definately U.S. military ingenuity... :P

Offline Thadeus

Shivan destroyers are serious business.
Spoiler:
Even though the Demon is already wounded and I gave the Orpheus 150k hitpoints, it wasn't uncommon for her to be at 30% or so by the time the battle's over. And before I decided to beam-lock dead ships, they'd often take each other out.
*kills topic*

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Spoiler:
Definately U.S. military ingenuity... :P

Ghost Recon Quote

Mitchell I need that Chopper destroyed yesterday!