NATION: Flying Ferraris (ITALY)
10 (16.4%)
NATION: USSSSSSSSR (RUSSIA)
8 (13.1%)
NATION: Zero to Hero (JAPAN)
2 (3.3%)
NATION: Mirage de Baguette (FRANCE)
6 (9.8%)
GAMEPLAY: Let's play format (traditional)
9 (14.8%)
GAMEPLAY: Collaborative format (details TBD)
11 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: April 25, 2019, 04:30:47 pm

Author Topic: Enioch's naval shenanigans - RTW as Germany - [Image Heavy!]  (Read 137260 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Enioch's naval shenanigans - RTW as Germany - [Image Heavy!]
also yay best thread is alive again
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I can't wait to see the sort of behemoths you'll be building for your fight against the Sushis and their boatgirls.  Still only 12-inch guns and no oil though?  Disappointing.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer

(Handwritten note, scrawled in the margins, handwriting consistent with that of Captain Cumming: Inquire with Inglis about Alexandra's refit, maybe steer some german journalists to her?)

There's a joke here, and I have the vaguest suspicion it's a dirty one, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what it is. Help?

[Rest of the memo unreadable due to damage sustained in a fire in SSB HQ in 1918]

FTFY  :drevil:

also yay best thread is alive again

Sureddo ga ikite iru, DESS!

I can't wait to see the sort of behemoths you'll be building for your fight against the Sushis and their boatgirls.  Still only 12-inch guns and no oil though?  Disappointing.

Next update.  :drevil:

Lack of oil sucks, indeed.  :sigh:
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

(Handwritten note, scrawled in the margins, handwriting consistent with that of Captain Cumming: Inquire with Inglis about Alexandra's refit, maybe steer some german journalists to her?)

Mansfield Smith-Cumming was the SSB's (which would later be called the SIS) first Director.  He regularly ommitted the "Smith" part of his name, and was by some accounts A Character (Stories would have it that he amputated his foot himself with a pen opener in order to get away from a car crash; while that wasn't true, he was in the habit of making up quite a lot of shocking stories about the loss.

HMY Alexandra was the Royal Yacht between 1908 and 1922.

Offline Enioch

I know who Cumming was - I was less sure about Alexandria and am still completely in the dark re: Inglis and why german journalists should be steered to Alexandria?  :confused:

PM me, I don't want to look stupid in my thread.  :p :D

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Done

Offline Enioch

Ooooooooooooh.

Sneaky Cumming, yess. :lol:

[Idea yoinked by plagiarising Enioch] :nervous:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Possibly the only thing the russians were leading in, and then zee germans stole it.
I'm sure that invoked a couple of cyka bylats at the russian admiralty.

Also, are we sabotaging the palace plans of the kaiser?!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Enioch

Of course we're sabotaging the palace plans of the Kaiser. If he wants to win the upcoming war(s), he'd better learn to slum it along with the rest of the heroic German population and make sacrifices of his own!  :nono:

It's not like he has a massive winter residence and at least two summer residences.

Oh wait, he does. :p

Offline crizza

Ah Willhelmshöhe, nice park area with the Hercules :D

Offline Enioch

SMS Zähringen was a battlecruiser built for the Imperial German Navy (Kaiserliche Marine) that revolutionised naval power. Her entry into service in 1915 represented such an advance in naval technology that her name came to be associated with an entire generation of German capital ships, the Zähringens, as well as, specifically, the class of ships named after her. The generation of battlecruisers she made obsolete became known as "pre-Zähringens" in non-German circles. Admirals Alfred von Tirpitz and Karl Galster are credited as the fathers of Zähringen. Shortly before the 1913 war with Japan, they ordered design studies for a battlecruiser armed solely with 12-inch (305 mm) guns (a necessity, given Germany's underdeveloped gun-foundries), a speed of 25 knots (46.5 km/h; 29 mph) and Dreadnought-level armour protection. The core of the design was to be its ability to destroy its opponent with overwhelming weight of broadside.

The Admirals convened a "Committee on Designs" to evaluate the alternative designs and to assist in the detailed design work. One ancillary benefit of the Committee was that it would shield them and the Admiralty from political criticism (especially from Kaiser Wilhelm II) that they had not consulted leading experts before designing such a radically different battlecruiser...

-Wikipedia article on SMS Zähringen

October 1912 - and private shipbuilders contribute yet again, shortly before the planned works in Wilhelmshaven are brought to an end. Instead of 49k tons, the largest ships that can now be built in Germany by early November can reach a staggering 51k tons. This 'spike' in shipbuilding capability catches all the other nations off guard, and Germany is eager to capitalise on it.

Undine and Arcona finish their trial runs and join Galster's cruiser squadrons...

And R & D submits designs for superheaters, to be used as part of German engines for considerable machinery weight savings. This is very welcome, especially given the 'spike' in shipbuilding capability - with war with Japan imminent, Tirpitz and Galster (now fast personal friends under von Mecklenburg's patronage, as well as professional colleagues) are planning their move against Great Britain. They will need an answer to her crushing superiority in tonnage.

Derfflinger leaves the drydocks in November, joining her sisters in the Baltic...

...and, on the 15th of November, with the Balkan Wars still raging, Ottoman forces strike against the Greek population element in Rhodes and the rest of the Dodecanese Islands.

The Germans are quite friendly with the Greeks: they have provided them with their flagship, Georgios Averoff, which is now, almost single-handedly, holding the Ottoman fleet contained in the Dardanelles. The Greek Crown Prince, Constantine, is married to the Kaiser's sister. And, perhaps more importantly, the Germans are eager to establish a presence in the eastern Mediterranean, to counter the British bases in Cyprus and Egypt. The German fleet elements from Sardinia are dispatched to quell the hostilities in Rhodes; under the guidance of von Mecklenburg, they end up ousting the Ottoman forces, supported by Greek Army and Marine elements. The Dodecanese is ceded to Greece, but Germany is granted basing rights in Rhodes, as well as full rights to the resources of specific areas of the island. German prospectors move out, to inspect the new holdings...

This intervention, of course, cannot be ignored. France, Italy and Russia pitch a veritable fit at the German landgrab in the Med. The Ottoman Empire broods... and Great Britain is near apoplectic. Tensions skyrocket. Only the USA observe dispassionately, uninterested in the developments halfway around the world.

Great Britain has reason to squeal; for in December the Germans manage to procure the plans of the new Sirius-class light cruisers. They are matching the Arconas in speed and can outrun the German Schlachtkreuzer, but they are only armed with 5-inch guns. The Admiralität is confident that their own scout cruisers are far superior to those of the Brits.

And then, shortly after the Neujahr celebrations of 1913, the R & D department submits structural designs for a specially reinforced capital ship bow; a bow that will be able to support a superimposed 'B' turret. Tirpitz and Galster go berserk.

THIS IS THE TIME.

At this point, the German shipbuilders only have their (admittedly good) 12-inch guns to work with. But experience in the Russian wars has shown that more barrels equal more hits; 12-inch guns are relatively light; and they are more than sufficient to penetrate existing belts at brawling range.

And the Germans now have a lot of displacement weight to play with, both for lots of guns and lots of armor for brawling.

So, by the end of the month, the Admiralität convenes a "Committee on Designs", to evaluate possible designs for Germanys new super-capital ship. The Committee assembles under the strictest secrecy and haste; the Germans know that the construction of these ships will take years, and they wish to gain as much head start as they can, by keeping their designs secret.

The first proposed design (SK19G) was drawn following the 'traditional' German cross-deck-fire arrangement. It mounted nineteen 12-inch rifles, in five centerline triple turrets and two double turrets in cross-deck-fire placements. It would weigh 50k tons, with a 12-inch belt and 13-inch turret armor.

However, the lessons from the Moltke had been learned. Wing turret barbettes were a liability in what concerned compartmentalisation and jeopardised the ship's underwater protection. So, Tirpitz and Galster returned to the design bureau, with a request for a fully-centreline weapons arrangement.

The end result was the crystallised Zähringen design. Eighteen 12-inch guns, in a 50k-ton hull, with a 13-inch belt and 13.5-inch turret armor. Her deck would be fully splinter-proof, with armor ranging from 2.5 to 2 inches and her conning tower would be nigh-impregnable, with a monolithic 16 inches of armor: the Zähringens were designed from the get-go to be fleet command ships. Their underwater protection was the best of their time and they were designed to reach 25 knots, the standard Schlachtkreuzer speed at the time. Fourteen 4-inch guns in double turrets comprised her anti-DD armament, more than enough to blow any closing light craft out of the water.

These ships were true monsters, and the first of a generation. The Germans would adopt the 'floating shotgun' approach, to some extent, in all their later designs. 'How many guns can we fit into this?' would be the credo of the German design bureau for years to come, even when larger naval rifles had been developed.

For reference, here is a rundown of the Zähringen's characteristics, compared with the Brits' attempt to counter the German ship, the dreadnought Camperdown. The British ship has a greater weight of fire, as it mounts 15-inch rifles; but the German's shells can go through her armor like butter and the German shoots more shells (thereby assuring more hits).

Two ships are laid down: the Zähringen and the Mackensen, with a planned completion date of June 1915.

And, immediately once their designs were finalised and their keels were laid down, the R & D department submitted their designs for a revolutionary new fire-control system: Fire Directors.

It's a good thing that the Zähringens were designed with a provision of 190 tons for fire control system upgrades. It would take a month to make the necessary changes, but the end result would be more than worth it...

Especially since the Parliament, now fully backing von Mecklenburg and well-aware of the imminent clash with Japan, agreed to a massive increase in the Naval budget, right when Tirpitz and Galster needed it the most. Holy crap, the politicians are working to support the Navy!

Lützow, still three months from completion, can also be fitted with directors before launch. This will add another month to her build time, but Tirpitz cannot say 'Ja, bitte!' fast enough.

In March, R & D delivers again. There may be times (in the distant future) when the Zähringens' 12-inchers will be unable to penetrate enemy armor. For such occasions, meet the new 305mm Sprenggranate T08. Say goodbye to your superstructures, Brits!

Ohohohoho. Ho ho. Well. This is a pleasant surprise. Germany can now do some aggressive mining.

And some aggressive torpedoing, too. Time to design some new Zerst...

Wait, what do you mean, 'Tsingtao is under surprise attack?'

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:12:47 am by Enioch »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Nippon banzaaaaai

I love the amount of guns on the Zähringen  :yes: :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Enioch

I'll just put this here. Just to give you an idea of how these darlings fight. All three occasions vs enemy capitals, at 7k to 12k yards range.

They average 3 to 4 hits per minute / round, simply by throwing enough **** at the wall.

Spoiler:
The last case took place in 1936. Yes, they are still kicking ass and taking names against modern BCs, more than 20 years after their commissioning.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:41:57 am by Enioch »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
From the archives of the Generalstab, Abteilung 3:

Record of possible intelligence contact
Filed by: Otto von Alvensleben, Kapitän zur See
Witnessed by: Gerhard Elbers, Leutnant im Stabsdienst

Full report:
Yesterday evening, me and my wife went to a performance at the Kiel Opera House. During intermission, I was approached by James Waterhouse, a person known to me as one of the Attaches at the United States Consulate. Apparently aware of my recent secondment to Admiral von Tirpitz' Design committee, he inquired about rumours he heard about the ship we were planning. I remained noncommittal, only going so far as to call it a natural evolution of our existing Battlecruisers, but given that my secondment was supposed to be secret, I have to wonder just how Mr Waterhouse knew that I was a person to ask about it.

[Short-wave intercept record]
[Intercepted: March 13th, 1913]
[Original format: Morse code, encrypted, encryption identified as one-time-pad]
[Message archived, March 15th]
[Message matched to remains of one-time-pad recovered during police raid on residence of agent identified as "T"]
[Recovered message follows]

[Section irrecoverable]
... confirmed by local contacts. Spoke to sources at the shipyard, big military contract has come in. Sources are sure that the Admiralty has ordered "wahre Monster", requiring the use of the full capacity of the new slipways.
[Message ends]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also, holy hell. A 50 kiloton Battlecruiser in 1915. Ships in OTL didn't get that big until the 1930s. These things must eat their weight in coal in very short order.

Offline Enioch

You bet your ass they do.

Do you remember how I've been religiously upgrading my bases in Africa and SE Asia? That's so I could have coaling stations along the way from Germany to Japan, just so I could avoid a Fleet of the Damned scenario. My stations in Tanga and West Africa could, until recently, support two thirds of my capital ship fleet per month.

Just these two monsters are  enough to overwhelm my supply chains there.

Spoiler:
And there'll be a third sister joining them soon, to honour the dead...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Moar dakka!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Enioch

21st of April, 1913; A day that will be forever remembered in German history. Shortly after sunset, a German patrol boat spots an unidentified capital ship approaching the harbour of Tsingtaou. It races back, frantically signaling alarm towards the harbour with blinkered searchlights. In Germany, halfway around the world, the Japanese ambassador has just handed an official declaration of war to von Mecklenburg.

Graf Maximillian von Spee is roused; he immediately gives the order for the two light cruisers Niobe and Gefion to raise steam. His third cruiser, Thetis has been dispatched to Southeast Asia, there to conduct patrols; it is safe from this surpise attack. However, the ships at harbour most emphatically are not.

He suspects that the Japanese strike will be, primarily, an anti-shipping one; an attempt to knock German raiding and patroling elements out, to allow the Japanese fleet uncontested rule over the Far East waters. He really doubts the Japanese are bringing any army elements with them: he decides that his best chance is to abandon the harbour and seek safety in open waters. If his two obsolete cruisers can just survive the coming hours, they will prove to be a massive thorn in the side of the Japanese.

20:36: The shore batteries to the north-east of Tsingaou come under fire from unidentified capital ships. Von Spee's cruisers have just managed to raise steam; but they have only reached the entrance to the harbour-

-when five IJN destroyers appear from out of the gloom.

A spread of torpedoes stabs out towards the slow German ships. Hits are scored; and the spine of the Gefion cracks. The ship goes down almost immediately, its bridge riddled with light cannon fire. Von Spee dies, almost immediately, in the resulting butchery. Niobe dies slower, allowing her crew the time to abandon ship. She also gives her gunners the time to fire a few shots against the fleeing destroyers. No Japanese ships are sunk; but observers from the shore report several explosions on their decks.

The entire raid lasts less than three hours. The Tsingtaou fleet has been wiped out completely: the Germans no longer have any naval presence in Northeast Asia whatsoever.

The response of the Admiralty is immediate, and very much along the lines of the deceptively methodical planning that has served Germany so well during previous wars. The four veteran Schlachtkreuzer are currently in drydock, being refitted with fire directors; but the three Wittelsbachs and the modernised Victoria Louises are not. Within two days of the attack, the German fleet leaves the Baltic, escorted by the seven modern V3 Zerstörer. They will embark on a four-month journey, to reach the theatre of operations, sailing around Africa and across the Indian Ocean.

They will refuel in West Africa and Tanganyika; and they will need to cross the gauntlet of Japanese-held Borneo to reach their bases. But here, the surviving Thetis can be of great help. If she can stay alive, for the time it takes the Germans to arrive, she can serve as a minuscule fleet-in-being. The Japanese cannot afford to strip their home waters of intercepting cruisers, or they will allow her to run rampant on their merchant shipping.

And, more importantly, the Japanese have failed to crack the submarine pens in Tsingtaou. There, in concrete bunkers, the Germans have eight of their most modern boats. These boats demand a response of the Japanese; their prime directive is to keep the enemy guessing and on their toes, always on the defensive around their home waters.

And the German submariners earn their keep. While there is little they can do to challenge the surface superiority of the Japanese...

...they proceed to smash their merchant shipping, in one of the most brutal campaigns of unrestricted submarine warfare in modern history. Within the space of one month, twenty Japanese freighters find their way to the bottom of the sea; and any plans the Japanese had of a seaborne invasion of Tsingtaou come to a screeching halt. They cannot risk any landing craft against that.

Hahaha - no.

In May, with her sisters already well underway, Lützow is commissioned.

And the veteran Schlachtkreuzer leave drydock. They are assigned to patroling the home waters - there is little sense in committing the entirety of the German battle-line to fight the Japanese halfway around the world. By staying home, they will be able to at least delay any back-stabbing attempt by the British.

R & D also produce improved designs for integrating armour into a ship's hull. That would have been much more helpful before the Zähringens were laid down, but it's hard to fault the engineers for their good work.

June - and, with the German fleet now less than a month away from Borneo, the submarines continue to reap a bloody toll. The Japanese are still dominating the seas in the Far East, but they cannot commit to any land attacks and their fleet core is still patroling their home waters.

And then, on the 18th of June, the Thetis, moving erratically between German Polynesian bases and anchorages to avoid detection, runs into HIJMS Chiyoda in the Bismarck Archipelago. The German captain is under strict orders not to risk his ship, but he deems the chance to be too good and powers into the engagement.

The Chiyoda is taken completely by surprise. She's a destroyer-killer and a raider, almost half the size of the German vessel. Furthermore, she's only armed with 4-inch guns, where Thetis is a scout cruiser armed with a broadside of six 6-inchers. She also has 2 knots on the Japanese vessel and her captain knows how to use them.

An hour after the first sighting, Thetis has well and truly slotted into the Chiyoda's tail, repeatedly serpentining to cross her T. Raking shots punch through the Japanese vessel's stern and detonate in her machinery spaces.

Half an hour later, the Chiyoda is a burning, sinking wreck and Thetis, after launching a torpedo to confirm her kill, turns to the north and safety. She has avenged her sisters, lost at Tsingtaou; and she has scored the first notable victory of the war for the Germans.

More importantly, she has succeeded in drawing Japanese forces away from Borneo, in an attempt to intercept her. The German fleet has reached and crossed the South China Sea and they are now on the last stretch of the journey to Tsingtaou. The Wittelsbach, Jindenburg and Derfflinger are bearing down on the Japanese home waters like avenging angels.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:12:16 am by Enioch »

Offline Enioch

The success of our submarine forces was an eye-opening experience. Based on the stricken Tsingtaou pens, operating with minimal support and always within Japanese-controled waters, the Kaleuns of our Unterseeflotte gave a glorious reckoning of themselves. The estimates for sunken Japanese tonnage soared along with our crews' morale.

Putting asde, for now, the satisfaction we drew from avenging Tsingtaou, the Admiralität did not fail to draw significant conclusions regarding the effectiveness of submarine warfare against an island nation. The war against the Japanese was a challenge in itself; but it also served to prepare us, better than any other war in the past, for the inevitable Day.

-Großadmiral v. Tirpitz 1920, My Memoirs, London: Hurst & Blackett.

Despite little Thetis' victory, she is unable to return to her base in Truk. She is forced to join up with the German fleet, after a long 'hook' to the north. The German forces continue steaming toward Tsingtaou, but the Caroline islands are left undefended. Nevertheless, the Japanese hesitate to capitalise on this; the Caroline garrisons are isolated, but remain unchallenged.

Meanwhile, Moltke leaves drydock, with its new director systems installed, and takes up patrol duties in the North Sea.

The German submarines keep savaging the Japanese merchant traffic. This keeps the Japanese fleet bottled up near the Home Islands.

But, still, the Japanese suffer. Three months into the war, and German submarines are already choking Japan to her knees. Galster co-ordinates with the Unterseebootkommando, to establish an effective submarine blockade; and the Admiralität takes notes in interest. It is both surprising and terrifying how effective such a strategy is against an island nation...

And as we enter July, with a new batch of submarines leaving the slipways, the Admiralität lays aside the funds (more than five-and-a-half million Marks monthly) for a third ship of the Zähringen class. The Graf Spee (originally planned to be called Lothringen) is renamed to honour the heroic Maximilian von Spee, who died in Tsingtaou, during the opening surprise attack. It will take two and a half years to complete.

July also marks the beginning of the Autumn Massacre. The German Heerleitung, submits plans for the invasion of southern Korea: a daring attack on Japanese fortified positions. The Navy (having patrolled the area for years and having good knowledge of the defense-in-depth that the Japanese have installed) vehemently argue against the plan. Tirpitz and Galster both argue for a continued naval campaign, that will completely isolate and starve out the Japanese forces in Korea, while tightening the chokehold on the Islands; nevertheless, the Kaiser authorises the attack.

August: and R & D finishes testing on their new, massive 12-foot rangefinders. The Asian squadrons cannot be refitted, this far away from the home waters; but the older Schlachtkreuzer are scheduled to receive the upgrades during their next maintenance cycle.

The U-Boote continue to slaughter the Japanese left and right; U-114, in particular, gets cheeky. Her CO, Kaleun Eder, surfaces next to the Japanese kaibokan Takasago Maru and blows her out of the water with his rapid-fire 3-inch deck gun.

The Japanese response lacks spirit; their forays in the South China Sea have become considerably more timid now that the Wittelsbachs are on-station. Although, that Izumi has proven to be quite the thorn on Germany's side...

In reprisals, Gefion is sent to a daring daylight raid into the Gulf of Sasebo. She dodges the coastal batteries, and crests the cape of Nagasaki at flank speed. There, she engages three kaibokan in a close-range brawl and hammers the moored freighters, before slipping out safely.

It's a minor victory, but it establishes that the Japanese can do little to defend their own harbours, against even an obsolescent cruiser like the Gefion.

More submarines!

And the veteran Schlachtkreuzer have now all finished their refitting. The Home Waters are secure (at least for now); time to press the offensive in the East.

High time too. There are some very worrying news coming from the Korean front...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:11:44 am by Enioch »

Offline Enioch

STILL ATEN'T DEAD JUST ON HOLIDAY.

Actually surprised the Tsingtaou raid did not get a single response. Go on, The_E, write something fun!  :p