Author Topic: Few Questions  (Read 1925 times)

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
1. How do I get the directives menu to shuffle through to new directives faster after old ones are completed? During a certain mission, there are several fighter wings and ships to destroy. The directives menu cannot display more than eight directives at a time, and there is no instance during the mission where there are more than eight active directives. There comes a point in the mission where the directives menu is full, and I only send in new enemy fighter wings and ships in an amount that would equal, but not exceed, the number of completed directives. However, the game does not shuffle to these new directives fast enough, if at all, therefore leaving them unviewable for the player.

2. During a mission, I have an instance where an enemy destroyer makes a surprise appearance, and Command subsequently orders all fighter wings to disables its engines. The SEXP goes like this When --> Is event true delay --> fighter wings (message from command to disable the destroyer) --> add goal, Alpha --> ai destroy subsystem --> destroyer, engine, 89. This SEXP is repeated four times for the four allied wings in the mission. All of them successfully receive the directive as can be determined when targeting their ships in game and reading their current order. However, none of them actually attempt to destroy the destroyers engines. Every single fighter ship instead travels in any direction away from the destroyer for an infinite amount of time....  :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have tried using a Goal priority of 150, and I have also tried using the goal ai-disable instead of ai-destroy-subsystem but the behavior remains exactly the same. Any ideas?
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
1. How do I get the directives menu to shuffle through to new directives faster after old ones are completed? During a certain mission, there are several fighter wings and ships to destroy. The directives menu cannot display more than eight directives at a time, and there is no instance during the mission where there are more than eight active directives. There comes a point in the mission where the directives menu is full, and I only send in new enemy fighter wings and ships in an amount that would equal, but not exceed, the number of completed directives. However, the game does not shuffle to these new directives fast enough, if at all, therefore leaving them unviewable for the player.

You can display more than eight directives at once if you change the hud_gauges.tbl. But the better solution is, to combine several invidiual directives into one.

If you have several wings, that are attacking you, why do you use individual directives for every wing instead of one "Destroy all fighters" directive?
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline soilder198

You can display more than eight directives at once if you change the hud_gauges.tbl. But the better solution is, to combine several invidiual directives into one.

If you have several wings, that are attacking you, why do you use individual directives for every wing instead of one "Destroy all fighters" directive?

Never thought of doing that. Could solve my problem. Anyway to make the directives disappear quicker to make room for new ones nonetheless?
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
2. During a mission, I have an instance where an enemy destroyer makes a surprise appearance, and Command subsequently orders all fighter wings to disables its engines. The SEXP goes like this When --> Is event true delay --> fighter wings (message from command to disable the destroyer) --> add goal, Alpha --> ai destroy subsystem --> destroyer, engine, 89. This SEXP is repeated four times for the four allied wings in the mission. All of them successfully receive the directive as can be determined when targeting their ships in game and reading their current order. However, none of them actually attempt to destroy the destroyers engines. Every single fighter ship instead travels in any direction away from the destroyer for an infinite amount of time....  :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have tried using a Goal priority of 150, and I have also tried using the goal ai-disable instead of ai-destroy-subsystem but the behavior remains exactly the same. Any ideas?

Please provide a fs_open.log, so we have all the relevant information with respect to build used and mods enabled.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline soilder198

Please provide a fs_open.log, so we have all the relevant information with respect to build used and mods enabled.

Here is a log of the mission. Strangely, when I ran in debug mode I was given a warning regarding missing 3d sound files which I do not receive when not in debug mode. Also, I use FS open 3.8.0 sse2 64-bit with the 2014 media vps.

Also, I should add that when ordering the fighters to disable the destroyer through player commands it works as it should. Just not when doing so through sexp.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:22:46 pm by soilder198 »

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I wonder if the disarm order is protecting the destroyer and forcing the AI to ignore it.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam

I'm unfamiliar with this method, but if you want this should work. Only needs two events.

Code: [Select]
Destroyer arrive
    When
        has-arrived-delay
            Destroyer
        do-nothing

Disable engine
    When
        is-event-true-delay
            Destroyer arrive
        add-goal
            Alpha
            ai-destroy-subsystem
                Destroyer
                engine
        add-goal
            Beta
            ai-destroy-subsystem
                Destroyer
                engine
        send-message
            #Command
            High
Used an SD Demon here. If there are multiple engines on the ship (like a Hatshepsut), you can change the ai-destroy-subsys to ai-disable-ship > Destroyer > 89.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:59:58 pm by Colt »

Offline soilder198

I wonder if the disarm order is protecting the destroyer and forcing the AI to ignore it.

The destroy-subsystem goal I believe does not call for a protect order on the destroyer. However, when I previously used ai-disable-ship as my goal for the fighter wings, the corvettes and cruisers in my mission continued to bombard the destroyer without regard for its health, which I presume means the protect order wasn't given in that case either?

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

Offline soilder198

I'm unfamiliar with this method, but if you want this should work. Only needs two events.

Code: [Select]
Destroyer arrive
    When
        has-arrived-delay
            Destroyer
        do-nothing

Disable engine
    When
        is-event-true-delay
            Destroyer arrive
        add-goal
            Alpha
            ai-destroy-subsystem
                Destroyer
                engine
        add-goal
            Beta
            ai-destroy-subsystem
                Destroyer
                engine
        send-message
            #Command
            High
Used an SD Demon here. If there are multiple engines on the ship (like a Hatshepsut), you can change the ai-destroy-subsys to ai-disable-ship > Destroyer > 89.

I made a test mission in FRED just to test both the ai-disable-ship and ai-destroy-subsystem goals and both worked completely fine. It seems only in my mission does everything freak out.

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

Do the wings still have other orders?

Offline soilder198

Do the wings still have other orders?

Yes. Wings Delta and Gamma arrive with an initial order to guard a corvette and do not receive any other orders until the destroy-subsystem order and cannot be given orders by the player.

Alpha and Beta wings are initially ordered to guard a separate corvette, are also ordered to destroy-subsystem, and can be given orders by the player.

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]