Author Topic: Replaying BP - Things I still don't understand...  (Read 2210 times)

Replaying BP - Things I still don't understand...
While replaying all the Blue Planet campaigns, there's still things I don't understand. Maybe it's my lack of understanding English, but anyways.. I'll just ask and see if I can get an answer explaining it in terms I understand.

Age of Aquarius
* I still don't understand the whole deal that Earth was completely destroyed in the beginning, and then at the end it wasn't?
There's a lot of, what should I call it.. Mythology, illusions going on with Shivans, Ancients. Can someone explain this?

* At the end, I still don't understand why GTVA would attack UEF. Why not just go back to a united nation, or an alliance? Why does it have to be war? At the end of Freespace 2, they stopped the shivan advance and destroyed the Capella jumpnode. But the Shivans still very much exist and if they had almost 100 Sathanas Juggernauts, who knows what else they're hiding. They probably have huge forces lying around, and they'll find a way into GTVA territory eventually. Wouldn't the war and attack the UEF deplete massive forces on both side?

* Is there a summery of the Age of Aquarius storyline somewhere? Preferably just explaining the most major and important events, to get the gist of the whole campaign.

War in Heaven
* How come GTVA ships have such extremely well-designed subspace drives and the UEF dont? The jump in and out, again and again and again. What happened with these huge ships needing recharge time or else they blow up? At a few points the pilots are stunned that some GTVA ships manage to jump so fast again and turn the tide of a battle. So how come it's like this? At the last large fleet battle, why didnt all of them crash jump? GTVA can jump whereever they want and however they want, but not UEF... I don't get it.

Also, is there any update on War in Heaven act 4 and 5? I'm dying to see how this end.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Replaying BP - Things I still don't understand...
Age of Aquarius
* I still don't understand the whole deal that Earth was completely destroyed in the beginning, and then at the end it wasn't?
There's a lot of, what should I call it.. Mythology, illusions going on with Shivans, Ancients. Can someone explain this?

When the 14th Battlegroup travelled through the portal to Sol, they entered a parallel universe where the Lucifer actually reached Sol without being intercepted in subspace. At the end, the Vishnans rig up a portal to the 14th's home universe.

* At the end, I still don't understand why GTVA would attack UEF. Why not just go back to a united nation, or an alliance? Why does it have to be war? At the end of Freespace 2, they stopped the shivan advance and destroyed the Capella jumpnode. But the Shivans still very much exist and if they had almost 100 Sathanas Juggernauts, who knows what else they're hiding. They probably have huge forces lying around, and they'll find a way into GTVA territory eventually. Wouldn't the war and attack the UEF deplete massive forces on both side?

There is a lot of supplementary material in the tech room that explains this, but the basic background is that, during the isolation period, society in Sol developed in ways that, as far as the GTVA Security Council is concerned, are incompatible with the strategic goals of the GTVA. The 14th being derailed by 2 weeks meant that their original plan, which was to essentially put the 14th into Earth orbit and using it as a gun pointed at the Council of Elders' collective heads was unworkable; with the various defections at the end of Age of Aquarius, the GTVA saw a military conquest as the only viable way forward.

* Is there a summery of the Age of Aquarius storyline somewhere? Preferably just explaining the most major and important events, to get the gist of the whole campaign.

Well, there's the Wiki page...

* How come GTVA ships have such extremely well-designed subspace drives and the UEF dont? The jump in and out, again and again and again. What happened with these huge ships needing recharge time or else they blow up? At a few points the pilots are stunned that some GTVA ships manage to jump so fast again and turn the tide of a battle. So how come it's like this? At the last large fleet battle, why didnt all of them crash jump? GTVA can jump whereever they want and however they want, but not UEF... I don't get it.

Different strategic priorities leading to differences in ship design. The modern GTVA fleet is built around high subspace maneuverability as a primary component of their defensive and offensive concepts; The sprint drives mounted on Atreus and Carthage allow them to do two jumps in quick succession, but no more. This is basically the GTVA's attempt to duplicate shivan tactics, the idea being that a ship like Atreus would act as an ambusher and overwhelm enemy capital ships with its massive beam firepower (much like the Ravana does).
The UEF, on the other hand, was handicapped by a few things. For one, they do not have the advanced power generation tech that the GTVA does, so their power budgets are somewhat lower than those of an equivalent GTVA ship. Two, the UEF has spent most of its development budget on improving its fighters and bombers; on a class-for-class basis, UEF fighters are vastly superior to GTVA ones, and their bombers are terrifyingly powerful (you don't see them in the released missions that much, but believe me, they're bad-ass). This stems from the fact that the UEF Navy is very much a "coastal" one as opposed to the GTVA's "blue water" fleet: For the UEF, major shipyards are just one intrasystem jump away, whereas the GTVA is built around long missions on remote stations.

Also, is there any update on War in Heaven act 4 and 5? I'm dying to see how this end.

It will happen when it will happen.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

To be completely honest the UEF fighters aren't much better than the wave 2 TEI fighters, you could argue that they're actually worse. Nothing in the UEF fleet is really a match for the Atalanta and the Draco is better than the Kentauroi thanks to not being so god damn huge. The bombers are definitely massively better but that's mostly because beam cannons kinda make bombers obsolete so the GTVA mostly uses bombers against lightly defended targets and in WiH seems to prefer long-range maxim strikes against warships.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

The UEF should just equip every fighter with Sidhes and destroy GTVA IMO.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Age of Aquarius

In (western) astrology an "Age of {sign of the zodiac}" is a period within a circular progression of time, which goes around the twelve signs of zodiac. Each age lasts about 2150 2160 years. It starts with Aries and ends with Pisces - at the end of the Age of Pisces the circle begins again with a new of Age of Aries. The Age of Aquarius is the penultimate age in that progression (Fun fact: we either currently live at beginning or will soon enter an Age of Aquarius, depending on who is doing the counting).

The "War is Heaven" is a curring narrative template of myth across various cultures, usually featuring two or more tribes/families/alliances of deities or otherwise god-like beings engaging in a conflict for supremancy over a over position of leadership or a seat of divine power in the cosmos. A "War in Heaven" is not be confused with the subject eschatology, which is the branch of religious study concerned with the end of the universe; a "War in Heaven" is generally event that alters the course of events of the cosmsos but is not related to the cosmos ending per se; often it represents a signifanct change such as bringing about the end of a mythological age and ushered in heroic age (which is the transition from events of the world being dominated by beings entirely of divine or magical provinance and one dominated by this kind of proviance being passed onto human heroes, which are only part divine).

As for what specific branch of Hinduism the BP team has elected to draw from, and if they actually mean any of it; I will leave that to them.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
To be fair, BP's story, background lore etc. is very rich and very deep. It is also pretty bloody complicated, so don't feel bad about not understanding everything.

At this point in the story arc I suspect we aren't supposd to understand everything, since there are some pretty vital things neither the GTVA or the UEF (and thus the player) understand. For example, what is the Great Darkness and how does it / one come about? What do the Vishnans want with the UEF, what are / were they grooming them for, and why so secretive about it? What is the terminal protocol? How did the Shivans first come about 5.2 billion years ago? What was the Dawn War, when did it happen, who was fighting in it and what was the result of it? Who were the Brahmans? etc. BP is as much a mystery and a voyage of discovery as it is a war story. With each act we discover a little more :-)

A few plot points explained: The traitor who told the UEF how to find the GTL Anemoi Agincourt was Thea Carey, the admiral aboard the Titan GTD Temeraire in Age of Aquarius.

Admiral Anita Lopez knew that the delanda est mission was a trap for the wargods set by admiral steel. She was basically acting when she sent the distress call.

We also find out that Admiral Lopez does not know the full details of MORPHEUS. This *might* indicate that only the most senior officers (Admirals Bei and Steel)know the real reason for the war with the UEF. This being that the UEF's elders had been influenced by Threat 2 (AKA the vishnans) and the GTVA does not trust the vishnans because they are so secretive. 

The links below may help a bit.

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Blue_Planet_Extras_Portal

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/The_GRANITE_HUNTER_Files_(BP)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:55:53 pm by Iain Baker »
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

To be fair, BP's story, background lore etc. is very rich and very deep. It is also pretty bloody complicated, so don't feel bad about not understanding everything.

At this point in the story arc I suspect we aren't supposd to understand everything, since there are some pretty vital things neither the GTVA or the UEF (and thus the player) understand. For example, what is the Great Darkness and how does it / one come about? What do the Vishnans want with the UEF, what are / were they grooming them for, and why so secretive about it? What is the terminal protocol? How did the Shivans first come about 5.2 billion years ago? What was the Dawn War, when did it happen, who was fighting in it and what was the result of it? Who were the Brahmans? etc. BP is as much a mystery and a voyage of discovery as it is a war story. With each act we discover a little more :-)

A few plot points explained: The traitor who told the UEF how to find the GTL Anemoi Agincourt was Thea Carey, the admiral aboard the Titan GTD Temeraire in Age of Aquarius.

Admiral Anita Lopez knew that the delanda est mission was a trap for the wargods set by admiral steel. She was basically acting when she sent the distress call.

We also find out that Admiral Lopez does not know the full details of MORPHEUS. This *might* indicate that only the most senior officers (Admirals Bei and Steel)know the real reason for the war with the UEF. This being that the UEF's elders had been influenced by Threat 2 (AKA the vishnans) and the GTVA does not trust the vishnans because they are so secretive. 

The links below may help a bit.

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Blue_Planet_Extras_Portal

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/The_GRANITE_HUNTER_Files_(BP)

Hey Iain, put those within the spoiler tags mate. They might potentially ruin the fun if OP hasnt gone that deep to the story
Requiescat in pace

I played them a few times throughout the years. It's still just confusing to me, hence I made the thread. The explanation helped a lot.

Well the thread is named "Replaying BP - Things I still don't understand...", so it kinda implies you shouldn't read it when you haven't played BP yet...

Well the thread is named "Replaying BP - Things I still don't understand...", so it kinda implies you shouldn't read it when you haven't played BP yet...

In our universe, correct. However, he/she may understand it in a parallel one, and -therefore- this thread doesn't even exist there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Getting the right balance between “tangible motives” and “incomprehensible cosmic awe” is always a battle with the mythology, but I think the Shivans and Vishnans are both sufficiently unique and weird that it’ll be possible to dig into their goals without lessening them.

It’s important to remember that the Shivans are corrosive to all forms of organization. Any shackles or limits placed on them must be constantly challenged. They do not so much obey a protocol as destroy any reason to depart from it faster than they destroy the protocol itself.

I think BP has gone out of its way to provide SOME potential answers about the Shivans without ruining the mystery or threat of the Shivans. Which is quite a feat.
The first time Ken explained the Shivan war doctrine, my jaw hit the floor. Entirely reactive, not strategic.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I think BP has gone out of its way to provide SOME potential answers about the Shivans without ruining the mystery or threat of the Shivans. Which is quite a feat.
The first time Ken explained the Shivan war doctrine, my jaw hit the floor. Entirely reactive, not strategic.

Yup, like an immune system. Except when anima are involved, then things get interesting  ;7
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]