Author Topic: BETA RELEASE: Colossuss Mk2  (Read 7746 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
BETA RELEASE: Colossuss Mk2
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2c937bcb38ef65c1ab1eab3e9fa335ca05286d19202081d0

WHAT IT HAS:
64 laser turrets
12 beam cannons
10 (double) missile launchers

6 engines
2 fighterbays
4 docks

fully pathed

WHAT IT DOESN'T HAVE YET:
- debris
- other lods
- glow points
- a nameplate

Speaking of which - anyone willing to add glow points to it?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: BETA RELEASE: Colossuss Mk2
And I thought my jokes were bad...

25 textures? Honestly?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ugh...there are 4 unnecesary textures...duplicates, but different name and 2 textures that I can remove and replace with one of the existing ones, but I missed it.

With tweaks, I can get it to 17-18.

Good catch. Keep the feedback coming.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Hmm, the model itself is good, but the texturing (besides being horribly inefficient) doesn't do the model justice. Proper UV-mapping and less texture tiling could do wonders for it.

While I'm impressed at how complex models you crunch out with Truespace... the greeblies on this model show how TS is limiting creative modeling. Especially on the engine section the greeblies are just a seemingly random group of boxes, with no "functional" feel to it. The things with the boxes and pipes are a notable exception, but it's basically 13 times the same thing.

Also, EVERYTHING that's not a separate subsystem/turret should be part of the main mesh! You've got dozens of nameless subobjects just for greeblies... each subobject needs a separate render pass, making this POF horribly inefficient for no apparent reason.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
To be honest, I really wasn't feeling inspired when it came to greeble. It's not TS.
Greeble normally doesn't make much sense and usually feels off to me.

As far as texturing goes, that thing is 6 km long. I really don't see it as possible to texture this thing without some hefty tiling - at least not with the texture I have. Panneling the size of a carrier doesn't give hte feeling of size, regarldess ofh te small windows.

As far as subobjects go - I always start working like that so LODs are easier to make once the mesh details are finalized.
For the final release I do plan on merging all the subobjects into just 3 main groups

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

This is a beta of your MK2 Colly?

I like that model. But if it's undergoing beta i'll wait for the finished product. To do it justice, ya know?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Take a look at it and tell Trashman what to improve (it's not the beta like in campaigns, as it will work well, but your feedback may make it work better).
So far: It has too many textures to be FPS effective (fortunately for most of the time there will be only one) and for some reason uses a few retail textures.
Also, a lot of required textures are not included in the pack (they're all in FOW: COTS though).

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Learn how to UV map, Trashman, because tile mapping looks awful. Not only will the game run faster, the ship will look much better.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
You can tile even if you use a UV map - just tile a section of it - it saves texture count while preserving detail on larger ships.
For example, you could probably combine the tiled textures you use for a lot of the turrets/greebles/engines onto a single map. Something of a fusion like the retail Typhon would be better than having 20+ textures.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
You can tile even if you use a UV map - just tile a section of it - it saves texture count while preserving detail on larger ships.
For example, you could probably combine the tiled textures you use for a lot of the turrets/greebles/engines onto a single map. Something of a fusion like the retail Typhon would be better than having 20+ textures.
Yeah, that's very true. It's similar to how the new Iceni was done, if I remember correctly.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Just be careful of what shaders you use.  Some don't like it when you go beyond (0,0)-(1,1).
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
So far: It has too many textures to be FPS effective (fortunately for most of the time there will be only one) and for some reason uses a few retail textures.
Also, a lot of required textures are not included in the pack (they're all in FOW: COTS though).

Frak...double entries.
2 minutes in PCS2 and I could reduce the texture count

The "light" texture is that black strip with yellow windows - the same light used on the Deimos and Hecate...tcovsomething

awactile1, 2 and 3 can all be replaced with raytile3 (methinks)

ThrusterCone is supurflus, as I planned to map the engine core with the same texture the rest of the engine uses (WYellow), but it slipped my mind.

I'd fix it ASAP, but I won't be home till the weekend again.

Yup..there's lot's of place for improvements here.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Isn't it possible to turn multiple tilemaps into a single UV map via using a certain script in Blender?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Really? Too bad I don't use blender...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Yes it's possible via texture baking in most programs, but in general.....don't.
You combine the worst of both worlds - the hideousness of tile mapping with the high memory usage of a UV map. You can then put AO onto it, but IMO that alone does not save it. ;)

The overall massive quality boost you can get out of UV mapping I reckon makes it well worth using over tiling, but at the same time it does mean you need to spend a much much larger amount of time on the textures, and that time spent goes up drastically with the UV map size, which goes up drastically with ship scale.

Sometimes you can get away with hybrid approaches as has been suggested, but those can be exceedingly difficult, and more often than not the overall result isn't spectacular. You sorta have to design the model for it I reckon.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Technicly, it is a hybrid currenlty.

Some bigger, boxier parts use simple, box mapping, while others use planar or curve mapping, with different map settings.

I'll see if I can spice the greeble a bit more...but visual help might help ya know...like they do it on the Infinity forums - paintovers over the renders/images.

EDIT: On a related note - destroyed subsystems? Yes or no?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:08:08 am by TrashMan »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Yes, please.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Planar or curve mapping isn't the same as unwrapping to form a UV map - that's still texture tiling. An example of hybrid would be the retail lucifer - which used a big UV map for lots of it, and tiled textures for the rest.

Visual help you mean like greeble inspiration pictures and stuff? Suggestions drawn onto those previous untextured renders?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It works the same in the end - specifc poligons applied to very mall portions of a texture. Or should I say vice-versa? Planar mapping I mean.

Unwraping is a more precise and direct approach. Certanly far better for complex maps and smaller ships.

If I have a texture that has griders for he hull, barrels for the turrets and fences and pipes for some greeble? I can use planar mapping to get the same result as unwrapping.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Unwraping is a more precise and direct approach. Certanly far better for complex maps and smaller ships.
You mean for bigger ships right?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them