Author Topic: FreeSpace Evolutions mod for Nexus  (Read 44393 times)

Offline Arparso

Re: FreeSpace Evolutions mod for Nexus
The fighter spawn really is just a fake ship. It's a very very small 3d model which you can barely see when zooming all the way in. It can't move and only has docking points for fighters. The fighters are more or less docking and undocking in the emptyness of space - I just spawn an animated subspace effect at the docking point's position to make it appear as if they're warping in.

All capital ships currently in the game can spawn fighters this way, so you don't actually need the fake ship for that. It really only serves two purposes:

1) allow for fighters or bombers to operate without the presence of a carrier ship (which isn't possible in vanilla Nexus)
2) the Nexus Skirmisher doesn't support adding fighters or bombers to a specific ship of your fleet, but I still wanted to give the player some control over what fighters and bombers he wants to bring along

Real fighter bays will be possible as well, of course, although it isn't implemented yet for any ship. The Moloch actually should, though, as it's supposed to have fighter bays (unlike the other cruisers and corvettes). Fighter bays will probably work with the help of some white-list of shipclasses... classes not on the list will spawn fighters via subspace (as they all do now) while ships on the list will have regular docking and undocking animations.

PS: Yeah, the subspace icon needs shrinking. ;)

I literally created the icon in the last few minutes before actually uploading the mod... was using some placeholder beforehand, which was much smaller. Guess I just didn't think this through enough  :rolleyes:

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Yeah I noticed that it was a fake spawn. Though not that they were docking/undocking.

A well made mod overall. He even implemented their effectiveness! The Lilith pwnd my Deimos before my Deimos could even reach him!

Though maybe you should slow down the fire rate of lasers. The Moloch put out a terrifying volley of laser bolts at the Aeolus.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
This is an absolute blast. Feels very Freespacey!
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline starlord

wow, excellent job!

Actually I was wondering: Is the contrary also possible? Is it possibly to convert and import nexus ships into the SCP?

Offline Darius

Admittedly this particular model does crash PCS2 when opening as a POF...

I always loved that model. Now, I'm wondering...would a Nexus to FS2 mod be even remotely viable? Fighters tend to be situational weapons at best, so unless someone wanted to do it similarly to The Blade Itself, which, IIRC, was stated to be a ***** and a half to FRED....hmmmm.

More on topic, has anyone else been having a strange lockup on the patrol mission if you order the Aeolus to flee from the Rahkshasa?

Offline starlord

wow, those are awesome ships! they would be right at home with us!

The nexus capships would be very cool in FS, but their fighters are kinda lame...

Offline starlord

in a sense, homeworld fighters are the same no? Would be cool to fly them though!

Nexus fighters aren't that bad.  There are interceptors, gunships, and bombers.  Interceptors are great for anti-fighter and anti-missile duty, plus their lasers can take out subsystems once shields are down.  Gunships are like assault fighters, okay at anti-fighter duty, but they really shine against larger vessels as their anti-subsystem weapons ignore shields.  I've never really used bombers as I've never noticed them being useful.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

This looks awesome.  I'm definitely gonna pick up a copy of Nexus just for this mod! :D

Offline -Norbert-

Gunships are like assault fighters, okay at anti-fighter duty, but they really shine against larger vessels as their anti-subsystem weapons ignore shields.  I've never really used bombers as I've never noticed them being useful.
If I remember correctly, only the Preatorians ignore shields completely. The other gunships weapons have a chance to pass through shields, so they work on shielded targets, but are much better once the shields go down.

And I agree, a Nexus mod would be nice. It could even be made with capship shields and capship mounted anti-shield weaopns. Though the cataclysmic missile impact would pretty much turn into a total whiteout in FS.

Praetorians are the only gunships that ignore shields. Which, by default, makes them thousands of times better than every other Gunship class.

I dunno, I'm still having a hard time seeing a Nexus mod from a fighters perspective. It's certainly possible in FSO, but Fighters just don't DO much in Nexus. At least, according to my play style, the only times I used fighters were when it was required for objectives and against the Swarm. Even if you did make such a mod, you would be acting in close support of Capships all the time, there wouldn't a lot room for you to do crazy, Freespace-y fighter antics, and as soon as two capships closed you be spending your entire time dodging their PDS.

That said, watching a Siege Laser up close would be all kinds of awesome.

Offline starlord

Which is somewhat the same in any epic like universe like battlefleet gothic, battletech/aerotech/battlespace or the renegade legion or the honor harrington verse... However, we can mold this up a bit, as evidenced with the homeworld mods...

This is sweet. Now someone just needs to transplant the main campaign from FS2 to Nexus.

A winner tagline for that would be: "Be Command! Be Competent!"

This would be an excellent Idea. Also lol.

Hmmm....I should go see how difficult it it to whip up missions in Nexus.

This would be WIN. And Arparso got the TC as it is in exactly 13 months, so.....
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline Arparso

Huh... just got a request by some French (?) gaming magazine - they want to put the mod on their cover DVD.

I'm definitely intrigued by the prospect of the mod as well as both Nexus and Freespace getting more attention by the public this way, but I'm not sure about the legal side of this. The mod does include some Freespace assets (remixed weapon sounds, music, voice samples) as well as modified assets from the Freespace Uprade project, which are of course based on the original Freespace models and textures themselves.

A non-profit online mod distribution is one thing, but when things start to mix with commercial profit-based endeavours things tend to go awry...

I figure you lot have more experience with this kind of issue, considering the amount of Freespace mods and campaigns released over the years here on HLP, so I'd like to ask for your opinion on the matter... :blah:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have very little more understanding of the situation than you do, but I'd honestly say go for it - just load it with Hard Light plugs.

Offline -Norbert-

Since it's the magazine who makes money with it, they will be the one to get sued if the licens owner decide to do so. Since you don't get any money, I'm pretty sure you're on the save side.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
bump, kind of --
How do I break a Gorg siege laser? I'm playing through the game, and have played the Freespace 2 mod as well. Both are awesome.

Start messing with the internal ships of the Formation. IIRC they need five to start it, but once it's going only driving off or destroying the inside parts will actually stop the laser. Alternatively, just dont let it form in the first place, which is more that possible.