Author Topic: Correct folder structure for playing with mediavps?  (Read 2224 times)

Offline zcal

Correct folder structure for playing with mediavps?
It's unclear to me how I am supposed to setup my fsport folders in order to use the mediavps.  I'm on Linux and have followed the manual installation process for FS2 and FSPort.

So my folders and executable are like this
freespace_2/fsport
freespace_2/fsport-mediavps_2014
freespace_2/fs2_open_3.8.0

When I run wxlauncher, I can select and run FSPort but there's no option for the mediavps.  What am I missing?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Correct folder structure for playing with mediavps?
You also need the standard 2014 mediavps - not sure if you've just left that out or if you don't have it.

If you do already have it, could you paste the contents of fsport-mediavps_2014/mod.ini?

Lastly you could try Knossos instead, which deals with all this for you :)
(assuming you're not running ubuntu 16.04 which has an old version of QtWeb-something & doesn't work with the most recent versions of Knossos)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline zcal

I do have the standard 2014 mediavps.  They're in freespace_2/Mediavps_2014.

I don't have a fsport-mediavps_2014/mod.ini file.  Would the game have created it when I ran it with the mediavps enabled?  I checked ~/.local/share/HardLightProductions and ~/.wxlauncher for this, too, since any such files would have more likely ended up there.  No luck.

I can give Knossos a try if that's preferred over wxlauncher these days.  Is that the case?

Lastly, I'm on Arch Linux.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Knossos is generally preferred now, as far as playing FSO goes it should be feature complete now. Just note that it'll redownload all the mods (in case you're on limited download internet). And I haven't run Arch so I'm not precisely sure what dependencies it needs.

Just in case you continue with wxLauncher, as Linux has case-sensitive filesystems by default your mediavps 2014 folder name is going to cause issues as well (as most, but not necessarily all mod.ini files use the lowercase naming for mods). Therefore I'd recommend creating a softlink like so (in a terminal):

Code: [Select]
cd freespace_2
ln -s Mediavps_2014 mediavps_2014

And lastly, the FSO game engine doesn't create mod.ini file, modders create them & players install them.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline zcal

Definitely missed the mod.ini link when downloading FSPort.  I got it now and wxlauncher is loading the mediavps correctly.  Thanks!

Knossos is available as an AUR package for Arch, so dependencies could be automatically handled at build.  FSPort is also an AUR package which means I could avoid these troubles if I were so inclined.   :p  I've just elected to go the manual route in order to learn a bit more about FSO.  Re-read the "Installing Mods" page in the wiki and found I had missed the importance and function of mod.ini files entirely.