Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422741 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.1 (combined launcher/installer)
One tiny quibble when updating: the little pop-up that prompts for the update has the yes/no buttons as the same color as the background, so it's very difficult to tell if you're clicking on the actual button or not.

Offline mr.WHO

Hi, after update to 0.12.1 I have "failed to save configuration" error when I try to run anything or save Knossos settings.

Offline Fusion

Another issue - Knossos says there's an update for Revenge: Final Conflict. When I click the 'update' button, I get this error:

"A critical error occurred! Knossos might not work correctly until you restart it. This error has been reported and will hopefully be fixed soon."

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@OverDhill: You're welcome!

@Mongoose: An unintended side-effect of changing the main window's colors (which was necessary for the new titlebar). I'll fix this in the next version.

@mr.WHO: Your case is an interesting one... When Knossos tries to write the fs2_open.ini, it fails because your audio device contains characters which aren't part of ISO-8859-1 (the default Windows encoding). I'll either have to replace the characters or check if FSO is fine with having the ini UTF-8 encoded.

@Andreas Rybak: As far as I can tell, something went wrong during the last installation of that mod. In any case, Knossos can't find the old version during the update. Not sure what's happening. The easiest solution for you would be to reinstall the mod. If you want to help me solve the issue, do the following first: Start the update and close Knossos after the error occurs. Send me your %APPDATA%\knossos\log.txt and the mod.json in your <data path>\FS2\revenge-1.1.0-BETA3 folder.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Mh because i am in charge for Revenge: Final Conflict on Knossos i am actually curious about that.

Because the only change i did to the previous version was an updated VP. So i do not have a clue what went wrong there, because i do not get such error messages as the "developer".
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline mr.WHO

@mr.WHO: Your case is an interesting one... When Knossos tries to write the fs2_open.ini, it fails because your audio device contains characters which aren't part of ISO-8859-1 (the default Windows encoding). I'll either have to replace the characters or check if FSO is fine with having the ini UTF-8 encoded.

Strange - previous version of Knossos worked fine with my configuration.

Another issue - Knossos says there's an update for Revenge: Final Conflict. When I click the 'update' button, I get this error:

"A critical error occurred! Knossos might not work correctly until you restart it. This error has been reported and will hopefully be fixed soon."

Same here, but for Media VP.

Also when I try to run anything or FRED I also have some error message but the error window is transparetn so I don't if it's "failed to save configuration" or something else.

Is it possible to revert back to previous version od Knossos?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:44:38 pm by mr.WHO »

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
A while back there was talk of Knossos being modified to use existing installations, and/or an FAQ for existing users transitioning to Knossos.  My apologies if those are done and I just am not finding them.  I know it was lower priority to bug fixes.  I'm thinking about taking the plunge, but I would really rather not re-download the 57GB of mods I already have if possible.  Here are a few questions I have:

If I do have to re-download everything (I realize I don't have to do it all at once), should I delete the existing mod folders in my freespace2 directory? 
Delete anything else in that directory? 
If so, delete before or after using Knossos? 
Does Knossos let me choose my directory? My Windows (c:) drive is a smallish SSD, so my current installation is on another physical drive.  I CANNOT use c:\program files. 
Should I use a directory for Knossos that is different from the legacy directory I am currently using?  My current retail FreeSpace 2 installation is from ancient CDs.  I still have them, but I am always concerned that they may not load or be recognized by my PC.
Will my mod progress automatically be saved from the legacy installation?

These are the questions I can think of now, but I may have more later.  :)

Thanks, and awesome work!!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I have machines with both a Knossos install and a traditional install side by side.  I haven't had any issues with that yet.  If you want to test Knossos, it won't likely interfere with your existing install, aside from some possible issues people have reported with the shared config setup.  But I personally haven't had those, and it's probably isolated to certain versions.  I stick with nightlies and it's gone well for me.  You could leave your existing install alone and just install Knossos mods as you get to them.  I don't even think you'd need to do anything with your pilots/gamesaves if they are using the shared location.  But you may want to make a backup of your FS2 appdata folder just to be safe if you have a lot of pilots/saves you don't want to lose.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
First of all to everyone trying to update the Media VPs (or other mods) and getting a critical error: I've found the bug and I'm working on a solution (hopefully done within a few hours).

@mr.WHO: Huh, not sure why it worked in the past. Maybe the new builds are using a newer Python version which changed that behaviour...

@deathspeed: Knossos still can't automatically import old mods. I haven't had any time to implement that (and noone else did it either). However, as chief pointed out, you can use it along with your existing launcher. If you use recent nightlies, it works fine even with older launchers.
You can choose the directory where the mods are installed. In fact, people really shouldn't use C:\Program Files for that since it complicates a few things. Please note that this directory is separate from the location where Knossos is installed. You can select both, one during installation and the other on first run. You should also use a new directory since Knossos has a different directory structure. It will copy the retail VPs from your old directory if you point Knossos towards it when it asks you to.

If you've used FSO 3.8.0 in the past, your pilots and mods will be carried over. Otherwise, you'll have to run the latest version of wxLauncher once to migrate your pilots.

Offline mr.WHO

@ngld: Will you be able to fix my issue, if yes then what will be the eta for fix (no hurry on my side, I can wait)?

Offline Fusion

@Andreas Rybak: As far as I can tell, something went wrong during the last installation of that mod. In any case, Knossos can't find the old version during the update. Not sure what's happening. The easiest solution for you would be to reinstall the mod. If you want to help me solve the issue, do the following first: Start the update and close Knossos after the error occurs. Send me your %APPDATA%\knossos\log.txt and the mod.json in your <data path>\FS2\revenge-1.1.0-BETA3 folder.

A bit late, admittedly - I managed to get it to successfully update. While it would not update if I clicked the button on the Home page, going to the Explore page and clicking Modify, then accepting, allowed the mod to update fine. If it's alright to throw a suggestion out, would it be possible for Knossos to remove older versions of a mod from the FS2 folder? Otherwise it just seems like they'll end up bloating the folder.

EDIT: With the update to the MediaVPs, I get the same issue. Clicking the Update button on the Home page gives me the exact same error. Closing Knossos and going to the folder in question doesn't show a log.txt file in there even after repeatedly experiencing the same error several times. As before, going to Explore, clicking on Modify, and clicking "Okay" allows it to install with no issues.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:12:50 pm by Andreas Rybak »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.2 (combined launcher/installer)
Knossos 0.12.2 has been released. This should fix the bugs mentioned in the last posts. Let me know if I missed anything!

@Andreas: You installed a new version instead of updating the mods which is also the reason you still have the old versions installed (and why it worked). To uninstall the old versions go to Home > Mod > Details > select the version in the top-left corner > Options > Uninstall.

Offline mr.WHO

The update is working - thanks for quick fix.

One thing I noticed now that the Inferno mod now show me two HUDs during the game (one bigger and one smaller), but I'll ask Inferno guys about it - I checked the FS port mod for reference, but it seems to work fine.

Offline Fusion

Another issue coming up, this one with Friends and Foes: Retribution. The error in question is as follows:

"Friends and Foes: Retribution" (1.1.0-REPACK) requires "FSO" which has conflicting requirements: >=3.8.0-2 (Friends and Foes: Retribution),==3.8.0-2 (Blue Planet Complete),>=3.8.1-20180811 (MediaVPs)

Any attempt to modify it gives this error:

I'm sorry but you won't be able to install "Friends and Foes: Retribution" because "FSO" is missing!

FSO is installed, however.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
There are several mods that have this problem.

They all want the 3.8.0-2 Build ONLY.

So the problem here is, FaF uses 3.8.0-2 or higher, BP only with 3.8.0-2 and nothing else and the MediaVPs are runable only with a FSO build 3.8.1-20180811 or newer.

So the Problem is Blue Planet here that does not accept any newer build.

As i said, this problem is present with some other mods aswell unfortunately. The invidiual uploaders mixed up their settings and so you have to wait that they update their meta data.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Code: [Select]
           "dependencies": [
                {
                    "version": null,
                    "id": "MVPS",
                    "packages": []
                }
            ],

Probably this is the cause of a problem for Inferno. Version should be "3.7.2"
Without it Knossos chooses highest possible version of MVPS for Inferno which is 3.8.0 right now.

I'm having the double-HUD problem on 3.8.1 Nightly from 21.7.2018 as well, so it's not Knossos-related.

It is not.
I say deps in mod.json for Inferno should looks like this:
Code: [Select]
"dependencies": [
                {
                    "version": "3.7.2",
                    "id": "MVPS",
                    "packages": []
                }
            ],

I already pointed the problem of strict FSO version requirements some time ago.

"version": "3.8.0-2" will run 3.8.0-2 only and refuse to run on newer version even if you try.

"version": ">=3.8.0-2" will run just fine on newer version if you set them to.

I don't think the first one is good. You can't know if a mod will be incompatible with a future release beforehand.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Thanks for the responses! 

It's not so much that I am interested in testing Knossos, but some of the newer things out there have not been made available for Goober's installer and I don't care for manual installs.  I know Knossos is the future, and I truly think it is awesome, but I was preferring to wait until a non-beta release to start using it. 

That being said, I may go ahead and start using it in parallel with my existing install base and wxLauncher.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.