Author Topic: MW4: Mercenaries/Battletech  (Read 10996 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Re: MW4: Mercenaries/Battletech
I'm a Vulture fan too :yes:, the design is one of the coolest in mw4 but you cant carry any real weaponry. :( * Remembers the days of mw3, piloting the vulture, with 2 erppcs, 2 lrm15 and 2 mpls * Those were the days *sigh*. Heavies like the thor, thanatos, dragon and cauldron born are really useful but everyone just uses assaults and jump sniping :ick: today.

A urbanmech can be dangerous, especially the 100 ton variant. :nervous:

http://www.solaris7.com/TRO/HTMLBattleMech/BattleMechInfo.asp?ID=5947

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

The PUB begs to differ.

UM-99-Q-LAM ftw. <,< >,>

http://www.tro42.com/PUB/mechs.html
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
The one with the disguise. :yes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Roanoke

I'm a Vulture fan too :yes:, the design is one of the coolest in mw4 but you cant carry any real weaponry. :( * Remembers the days of mw3, piloting the vulture, with 2 erppcs, 2 lrm15 and 2 mpls * Those were the days *sigh*. Heavies like the thor, thanatos, dragon and cauldron born are really useful but everyone just uses assaults and jump sniping :ick: today.

http://www.solaris7.com/TRO/HTMLBattleMech/BattleMechInfo.asp?ID=5947

I liked the Vulture too. Decent bot but it would run out of ammo far too quickly

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
It depends on the loadout, another problem is that that small turret under the nose is the only omni placement and its way too easy to destroy.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Yea. In MW3 I'd kit it out with a lot of lasers, missiles, jump jets, and a max engine upgrade. The was freaking godlike. Then in MW4 they killed it; for a missile DEDICATED mech that mw4 made it out to be, why can't I have a BAP (Beagle Active Probe; reduces missile lock time), and what's the point of using the Vulture with only two LRM slots when I can have a Daishi with like a dozen. There's no balance for the poor thing. I used to be able to offset this by kitting it out with the extra speed and the jump jets, so that I would be able to run circles around the enemy in it. In MW4 the max speed you can get with any degree of firepower is about 94 - if you go any higher, you don't have enough tonnage to fit anything worthwhile on the poor thing.

Gotta admit though, the MW4 redesign of it looked wicked cool compared to the MW3 version.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Yeah, every single mech is way much better looking in mw4, the slot system is a plus IMO, but several things are just wrong, things like the avaliable tonnage and heat management, I cant fire any decent energy weapon with getting a shutdown warning, in mw3 I packed quite a few mechs with 2 or 3 pulse lasers but now they dont even scratch the enemy, the game also tends a lot more toward energy and ballistic weaponry, missiles lost most of their use.  * gotta love the sound of a gauss rifle shooting * :nod:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
PPC and Uziel...........Vultures are nice too. :pimp:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
You must mean Erppcs and Uziel. :P

Offline Cyker

Big Mech2 and Mech3 fan, but never liked Mech4.

The Mechs looked 'pretty' (They're *supposed* to be giant hulking metal blocks of death with legs! Keep your damned curvey ballerina Anime-isms away!), the weapon effects sucked (The Mech *2* LRM launch looked better!!), the way they presented the story was awful, but the absolute worst thing was that I didn't feel like I was piloting a Mech. It felt more like I was playing Quake or <insert generic FPS here> with the movement-bob/weave setting set too high! If I wanted that, I would have played Zone of Enders or Shogo instead!

Mech3 did have alot of issues (Buggy in anything above Win98, Jump jet implementation just *sucked*), but everything else about it, from the movement of the mechs (Inverse Kinematics ftw!), the way they did the cutscene briefings (And loaded the level in the background!), and the feeling of satisfaction when you blow your friend off a cliff with two racks of LRM20s... ahhh....

I wish there were more games made like that instead of the soulless crap that was Mech4...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
MW4 has the best intro, I prefer Heavy Gears Gateships to Jumpships though. ZERO G combat FTW!

I meant Clan ERPPCs by the way :nod:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Now the mechs are cool looking giant hulking metal blocks of death with legs. Mw4 vengeance and mercs story is like a bad b movie, awful, just awful. Mw 3 had the best story (only played from mw3 so fort), the way it was show it was simply amazing, you feel you're actually fighting clanners (damn jags :P).

MW4 has the best intro, I prefer Heavy Gears Gateships to Jumpships though. ZERO G combat FTW!

I meant Clan ERPPCs by the way :nod:

Agreed, by far the best intro.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
To borrow Jagerurbie's quote regarding the various MechWarrior games and their look and feel. (Stolen from DSC here: http://www.dropshipcommand.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=15072&mesg_id=15072&page=2#15101 )

"The common complaint about MW4 is that it feels cartoony plastic and lacks a sense of scale and mass. I agree...MW4 smells like pixie sticks.

"I dislike MW3's blandness of colors and terrain (which is really due to its campaign -- you don't expect much on a barren CSJ outpost planet), but the mechs were incredible -- they look dirty and menacing, they feel big and powerful...MW3 smells like grease and coolant, burning lubricant, molten metal.

"MW2 is almost perfect. Less is more when it's done so evocatively, as MW2 is. MW2 smells like brushed metal and ozone, or helium boiling up from the depths of some forsaken rock under the dawn of a distant star in the cold vastness of space."

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
They all smell like CD's........... :D
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
MW2 I didn't bother to finish, MW2M, MW4V, MW4M+MP3, MC1+exp, MC2. MC2, couldn't run it at first. When I could, I didn't bother to play it.

Last one played was MW4+MP3, played online only with a friend vs. bots because we'd fare crap against other pilots. They simply didn't miss their shots, :wtf:. (Bangwal)

I gave up waiting for the Mechstorm HDP. As far as I know, MW4 is unmoddable. I never heard of any MC1/2 mods.

I play these games/get involved in the series, no more.

(I dunno why I'm so angry all of a sudden...  :()

:lol:, I also stumbled across the Heavy Gear series... xD
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 11:11:56 am by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
MW4 has an in depth level editor, The mechs in-editor can be given varying AI paths etc and cutom AI-Scripts. The mechs can be "tweaked" too.

Google it :nod:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
MC2 has magic's expansion and wolfmanx also M$ recently released the source code. I'd kill to play Mw2 but it doesnt run on XP. :(

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
@ CD

I take one look at them and I can go Bangwal already...

My friend used to tell me of some tools that could be used to edit out the Mechs and weapons, stuff like that. Like FS2's table editing. Unfortunately, searches of that got me nowhere.

Not much of a point for me now, really. MW4M+MP3's been "camping" in my HDD unplayed, until sometime earlier this week when I deleted it to make room for other stuff. Bye-bye to the MW series, I guess...

@ Sara

MW2? :lol:, I played it when I was still young, and whaddya know, I scratched the disc real bad. Few years later when the interest came back to me for some reason, I went on the hunt for another copy... and found the Titanium Edition. The songs were cut off and I couldn't run it in DOS to solve my jittery sound problem!!!!!!1 :mad:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
MC2 has magic's expansion and wolfmanx also M$ recently released the source code. I'd kill to play Mw2 but it doesnt run on XP. :(

What version do you have?

I've gotten MW2 Mercs to run under XP.

A Feddie Story

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

What version do you have?

I've gotten MW2 Mercs to run under XP.

The win95 MW2, I even tried a patch for it to work on Xp, everything runs fine, the problem is that when I try go get in a mission, training, trial, etc, I get an error message saying "unknown fatal error" and telling me the game has to close.