Author Topic: Public diplomacy  (Read 13635 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
To the honest terrans of the galaxy

I wish in these confusing time to reiterate the Sol Union international policy to save confusion.

Firstly, the United Guilds. All your base are belong to us.
Secondly, The Dynasty has nothing to worry about, we will honour our agreements with you as we believe your intentions have been honest with us from the start.
Third, The Britannic Commonwealth, Despite your predecessors heinous disregard for terms of a highly involved treaty we consider that alliance to stand but note we are monitoring every word you say carefully for sign of further duplicity from the Commonwealth.

Lastly, I will reiterate my government's position that any fleet expending munitions or taking losses as a result of aiding the Sol Union may request Leave time and material in the freeport areas of any Sol Union controlled space dock.

Kindest regards to all
Headdie
Minister of Interstellar Affairs
Sol Union
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Such fascinating developments. I feel I should mention that the entirety of the Delest cabinet, High Admiralty and even the general population are following them with a sick sort of curiosity (and, I'm ashamed to admit, quite a bit of laughter). It is not always that we see people metaphorically (but repeatedly) shooting themselves in their extremities while procaiming their imminent victory over their enemies.

To minister headdie, for whom I honestly harbour great personal respect: We are gratified that you believe us to have been honest in our dealings with the Sol Union. It is not the desire of the Delest Dynasty to engage in hostilities with your nation, neither now nor in the future. However, we need to point out (as we have done in past private communiques) that the Dynasty has extensive diplomatic ties with the UGC. If you were to attack them, we would (sadly) have no choice but to honour our agreements with them and pitch in.

We do not want to do this. We beg of you, to retreat from UGC territory. If you feel you will be left behind in territory, or be excluded from resource-focused expansion (a concern that is legitimate and fully acknowledged by the DD), we would like to point out that current developments have made it impossible for the CRF and DD to coexist in the Aldebaran nebula refinery. We cannot be but optimistic of our chances there and our victory would leave a third of the refinery production unclaimed. I cannot speak on behalf of the UGCR, but the DD would be happy to admit you as an equal-share partner, provided hostilities in the UGC front cease.

There have been no insults exchanged, no casualties, no harm done so far. This leads us to believe that there are no insurmountable ideological differences between the two parties. We beg of you, extend the hand of friendship once more.

To her Royal Majesty, Amalia Arc Victoria:

We wish to inform you that we have received your government's communique. We sadly acknowledge that a state of war exists between the Delest Dynasty and New Brittania.

We bear no ill-will toward the Brittanian soldier, officer or civilian and therefore will labour to minimise casualties on your end, until you see reason. We also do not insist on your unconditional surrender as a sine qua non for the end of the war. And we wish to make it publicly known that we hold the Arc Victoria dynasty to the highest respect. On a personal note, while I hold the post of DD premier, I whall endeavour to protect her Royal Majesty's life and to guarantee her safety through these dangerous times to the best of my ability, a duty for which, I fear, her retainers, cabinet and admiralty will undoubtedly prove woefully inadequate in short order.

As a final note, we, unfortunately, have little choice but to cease all communication with your government, until good manners and/or higher brain functions make their appearance among them once again.

Sincerely,
-Fleet Adm. (Rtd.) Kalazonitov
DD Premier

[Electronic signatures of all DD cabinet holders follow]

Addendum: With the war going on, Your Majesty, it'll be hard for you to get your hands on Delest vodka for your guests. I've taken the liberty of including a few cases of selected bottles among the diplomatic cargo of the dispatch boat. With the compliments of the DD government - you're going to need it during the upcoming weeks, sister.
-Commander T. Skivlana, DD Foreign Minister
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Fleet Adm. (Rtd.) Kalazonitov

Your affirmation of good will towards the Sol Union is a pleasure to hear. 
I also understand why you need to reiterate your diplomatic ties with the UGC and its requirement that you aid them in times of invasion.
At the same time while the Commonwealth is determined to make a sport of bashing the Dynasty's protectors I hope you understand why I decline to take your words seriously and understand that no ill will is taken as you are taking the only realistic position you can in these times, but I strongly urge you to recall your fleets and face the Commonwealth fleets from a position of strength where your carefully crafted military can truly shine.

Regards
Headdie
Sol Union
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Enioch

To Foreign Minister headdie,

It is with the greatest sadness that the Delest Dynasty presents the Sol Union with a declaration of war.

The exchange of fire in Fomalhaut has, unfortunately, forced our hand. We are, I regret to say, entering the Harcon / Fomalhaut front on the side of the UGCR, as our treaties with them demand.

We bear the highest respect for the Sol Union and we acknowledge the long history of diplomatic relations between our two nations, so you can rest assured that our forces will seek to minimise casualties on both ends. We also wish you to know that, upon removal of your forces in Fomalhaut and cessation of hostilities, we are willing to immediately negotiate a peace settlement - this is by no means total war, but contingent on the fact that you have engaged our ally and violated their sovereign territory.

Sncerely,
-Fleet Adm (Rtd.) Kalazonitov,
DD Premier

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Fleet Adm. (Rtd.) Kalazonitov

Its is with deep regret that I acknowledge your declaration of war for in your honouring of the mutual assistance agreement you have with the Guild you inspire further respect from myself.

That said I will reiterate my previous advice for you in the strongest terms to pull your fleets from Sol Union and Guild space to deal with the very real threat posed by the commonwealth to your people.  Indeed to any Dynasty admiral observing this statement I ask that you put the safety and wellbeing of your people before the welfare of the United Guilds.

Regards
Headdie
Sol Union

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
To Foreign Secretary Duchess Cornelia Windham,

As I had the pleasure of working closely with your predecessor, Secretary Lepanto in a number of cooperative efforts and assurances, and have had a pleasant course diplomatic relations with you, it pains me to have to now present this declaration.

The events in Aldebaran since the sudden change and subsequent policy re-orientation has come as a shock to many of us in the guilds - that the Delest, responding to an invitation extended by Britannia to all to participate in our joint "pirate hunting" expeditions in the Aldebaran nebula would then be met with an about face, entrapment, declaration of war, and a demand to surrender their ships. The irony was not lost to many of us that the "bait and switch" came from the very nation that includes "honor" and "nobility" within their messages. Nevertheless, the UGC has wished to prevent escalation of the conflict in Aldebaran as long as possible and made every attempt at neutrality and seeking a peaceful resolution.

However, you have now deployed fleets into Delest space under the flag of war. Thus, it is with sadness that in accordance with our treaty obligations of our long-standing defensive alliance with the Delest, the United Guilds of Commerce hereby declares war on Britannia.

It is most unfortunate that internal political turmoil has reduced a valuable friend into an enemy, and the UGC wishes to reiterate that we still (perhaps foolhardily) desire peace between our Terran brothers and sisters. Upon cessation of hostilities with the Delest Dynasty, we will be willing to immediately negotiate a peace settlement.

Regards,
Droid803
Minister
United Guilds of Commerce
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Droid,

Congratulations. Bravo.

I take my hat off to your unique foreign policy skills. You have somehow become head of state of a nation under copyright, despite plainly failing to grasp concepts such as "risk assessment" and "long-term goal setting".

Now, your decision to honor your alliance terms is, in and of itself, an admirable one. Although, given that this the first we have heard of this secret "alliance", you cannot blame Britannia for oh-so-clumsily triggering it. We, naive and childish fools that we are, sign our alliances in the open.

However, while I could go on and tear apart your flimsy casus belli with ease, I shall instead raise a question of debt.

You surely know much of debts and their repayment, usurer. Tell me, then:

Who helped you obtain half Aldebaran's riches without firing a shot?

Who went well out of their way to save you from an unprovoked invasion, nearly ruining a valuable alliance to do so, and damaging their own reputation for consistent foreign policy?

Who offered you resources to build your defenses against aforementioned invasion, which you seem to have somehow forgot in your decision-making these days?

Lepanto sacrificed much to forge ties of cooperation and defense between our two states. Poor, silly, naive man.

He should have just let Sol burn your misbegotten state to the ground.

If you should decide to focus your war machine on the nation which is actually invading your territory, we of Britannia are ready to cancel this pointless war at any time. Until then, if your mercenaries and scum should interfere with our noble crusade, the CRF shall cut them down without a second thought.

---------------------------------------------------------

To Headdie, Sol Minister of Interstellar Affairs,

As you may have guessed, Britannia no longer raises any objections to your invasion of the Guilders. Cut them down.

---------------------------------------------------------

In Her Majesty's Name,
Duchess Cornelia Windham, Foreign Secretary
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Enioch

Oh, Oh, I can answer that! Pick me, pick me!

Who helped you obtain half Aldebaran's riches without firing a shot?

Nobody did. They certainly did not need your so-called help, as there was no one to challenge the occupation. Anyone can claim to help others - but unless you are sacrificing something, which the CRF certainly did not, your 'help' isn't worth much, is it? I could rephrase your question as 'who was it you had to share Aldebaran with, in order to avoid a war', and it would reflect the same reality.

Also, you actually invited everybody who was interested in doing so to help. And then cried 'foul' when somebody did.

Who went well out of their way to save you from an unprovoked invasion, nearly ruining a valuable alliance to do so, and damaging their own reputation for consistent foreign policy?

You certainly didn't. I note no CRF fleets assisting the UGC forces in Fomalhaut. What I do see, are DD forces.

Who offered you resources to build your defenses against aforementioned invasion, which you seem to have somehow forgot in your decision-making these days?

You certainly didn't. On the other hand, the DD - UGCR science treaty has offered huge economic and scientific advantages and benefits to both nations.

Lepanto sacrificed much to forge ties of cooperation and defense between our two states. Poor, silly, naive man.

Lepanto was actually the one man who could have prevented this war, because, for all his failings, he was a man we could respect. Lepanto was the first of the Brittanians to consider that our population might have been something more than 'vat grown abominations'. Lepanto was the one who might have actually commited to all of the above, while you scavenge his leftovers and dress yourself up as a knight with a carboard sword and a garbage can lid shield.

He should have just let Sol burn your misbegotten state to the ground.

Oh, good. More hatemongering and rascism. I note the word 'misbegotten'. That is an interesting word. It almost seems like you have an ingrained belief that your circumstances of birth make you somehow superior.

Offline Enioch

To all concerned parties:

The DD wishes to make it clear that they are operating in an Alliance with the UGCR. Record it for posterity, if you so desire.

-Kalazonitov

[OOC: No time for fancy announcements, just a public announcement to confirm the alliance and avoid friendly fire and similar stupidities]. :P

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The UGCR will affirm the alliance, in the interest of avoiding blue-on-blue.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
We have re-confirmed the alliance with the Sol Union.

Also, we are exchanging our Academy and Valor technologies for their Speed Doctrine technology.

If Minister Headdie could please publicly confirm?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:53:00 pm by Lepanto »
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Delest Dynasty and the United Guilds of Commerce have entered into an Alliance. (Turn 5I)
Duration: undefined/indefinite

(as far as I was aware the SF-CRF alliance never really officially ended?)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Enioch

Also, we are exchanging our Academy and Valor technologies for their Speed Doctrine technology.

Exchanging techs is part of the minister mechanic and is done during intrigue turns, is it not?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yes, it does not have to be announced through public diplomacy.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
To all terrans

I would like to take this opportunity to confirm the ongoing alliance between the Britannic Commonwealth and the Sol Union

We also confirm the exchange of Speed Doctrine with the Commonwealth government in the hopes that this will mark the start of improving relations between our people.

Regards
Headdie
Sol Union

Offline Enioch

Exchanging techs is part of the minister mechanic and is done during intrigue turns, is it not?

By which I mean that I don't think you can exchange techs outside of Intrigue turns, when the ministers have to order for such an exchange to take place. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Just means you have to wait for the order to kick in

Offline Enioch

Oh, yeah, that's fair enough. No objections to that.