Author Topic: Pre order extras  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
One of the big advantages of consoles is split-screen multiplayer. Games like Halo, Super Smash Brothers, and Modern Warfare 2 (which include split-screen co-op or competitive modes) are an absolute blast.
I personally find them a major disappointment. To me, unless it's a party game (ie: Smash Brothers) or similar, split-screen "action" is annoying. I'd prefer multiple display outputs any day. Then again, I've now been corrupted by dual-monitors on my PC.

Oh, and does console-only titles on an emulator count? :P What about later releases? For example, GTA4 was supposed to be console-only and then expanded to PC.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
PC games largely don't support multiple local players even if you've got multiple display outputs, so it's irrelevant.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Plus, screen-cheating is a time-honored legitimate strategy. :p

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Plus, screen-cheating is a time-honored legitimate strategy. :p

It effing isn't :mad:

It gets me riled up so much I genuinely knocked someones tooth out with a knee to his face after out jumping my scope on perfect dark.

However on dead or alive 2 or killer instinct I absolutely live for the experience of shared screen play.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
PC games largely don't support multiple local players even if you've got multiple display outputs, so it's irrelevant.
It's called a LAN party. The nice thing about PC's is just about everyone has one. A few spaces to sit and everyone can play; a 4+ player game is actually quite easy. Then the other advantage is people can be in other rooms. For example, if I'm playing an information-driven game (ie: Civilization IV), we can all sit in the living room and not be able to clearly see anyone else.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Right, and how am I supposed to have an impromptu LAN party on the couch, with zero planning, at my house or apartment, with my friends/siblings, without having to perform extensive setup and then spending hours on network troubleshooting?

The problem with PCs is that they're large, difficult to move about, difficult to network, and not everyone has one. Plus you need a crapload of space, time, and tolerance for frustration to hold a LAN party; plus you need the good graces of your apartment/housemates.

You need only one console, it's already set up, and it's guaranteed to work right away if I want to play with my brother or ladyfriend or whatever.

In theory it's a great idea. In practice it only works for the dedicated: the ubernerds. Gaming isn't the exclusive domain of that subculture any more.

And even if you do have a LAN party, you can use consoles instead, and get four times as many players in for the same amount of effort. Consoles take the cake on this front.

EDIT: And I used to LAN heavily, so I'm plenty experienced on that front, but it's just a huge pain in the ass.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Right, and how am I supposed to have an impromptu LAN party on the couch, with zero planning, at my house or apartment, with my friends/siblings, without having to perform extensive setup and then spending hours on network troubleshooting?

The problem with PCs is that they're large, difficult to move about, difficult to network, and not everyone has one. Plus you need a crapload of space, time, and tolerance for frustration to hold a LAN party; plus you need the good graces of your apartment/housemates.

You need only one console, it's already set up, and it's guaranteed to work right away if I want to play with my brother or ladyfriend or whatever.

In theory it's a great idea. In practice it only works for the dedicated: the ubernerds. Gaming isn't the exclusive domain of that subculture any more.

Consoles take the cake on this front.
Short answer is that it's a fine after-school or in-dorm type of thing. Wireless internet with a simple WPA key will keep out most morons and you can enter it in 3+ computers quickly. I agree it's not for everyone, but the idea works. If you want to lug around a desktop (I've made some pretty nice ones as friends' gaming rigs), then it becomes very tough. If people use laptops, it's a hell of a lot easier.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I agree, and LAN parties can be fun. But even under best conditions, LANning stuff is slower and more of a time commitment. I can get a four-player Geometry Wars game going in two minutes flat with a console, and we can play it for ten minutes or ten hours as we see fit.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
As someone who games on the PC only, splitscreen is the one thing I like about consoles. That can be a lot of fun but never really took off on the PC. The arcade-style games in the 80s and early 90s often allowed multiple (and simultaneous) players on one machine, but it somehow fell away after games became 3D. I have only seen 3 or 4 PC games after then that supported it.

LANs do require some initial effort to set everything up and are really only feasible with laptops, but after the first time they are quick and easy to get working. I think the effort is well worth it because of the mods available for PC games. Almost everything I have played over LAN has involved mods or other custom content.