Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Released  (Read 14461 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Released
I'm playing it now. It's not that bad. It's the level of humor I expected from a Duke game. I guess some people expected something better than DN3D. Take off the nostalgia glasses and you'll see this game was everything they intended DN3D to be.

I have a hard time believing DN3D was intended to be terrible  :cool:

You don't think the same ideas present in DNF wouldn't have found their way into DN3D if it would have been technically possible? You don't think DN3D didn't basically copy the FPS concepts of the time and add "interactivity?" I think you wildly overestimate people like George Broussard.

I'm telling you, a LOT of the hype around DN3D is nostalgia glasses. DNF will never be good, or even passable, to the people comparing it to DN3D regardless of the choices Gearbox/3D Realms made. Am I telling you the game's awesome? Heavens no, it is far from awesome. Am I telling you it is terrible? No, it is not terrible either.

It is an average game, and DN3D was an average game that gets placed on a pedestal because "OMG I REMEMBER THIS FROM WHEN I WAS (insert age here)!!!1 PIXELATED TITIES WERE DA BOMB!!!"
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I borrowed it off a friend yesterday and started playing it. It is decisively average, and by that I don't mean "average" in the way most people use it these days. In terms of gameplay, DNF seems to be just a run-of-the-mill shooter. There's nothing terribly exciting, but nothing really bad about it either. It's just... average. The humour is occasionally funny, but I don't find the game itself all that fun. I'm going to finish it simply because I don't like leaving games unfinished.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Luis Dias

Swantz is right btw.

Still they could have made a great game. Didn't happen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm playing it now. It's not that bad. It's the level of humor I expected from a Duke game. I guess some people expected something better than DN3D. Take off the nostalgia glasses and you'll see this game was everything they intended DN3D to be.

I have a hard time believing DN3D was intended to be terrible  :cool:

You don't think the same ideas present in DNF wouldn't have found their way into DN3D if it would have been technically possible? You don't think DN3D didn't basically copy the FPS concepts of the time and add "interactivity?" I think you wildly overestimate people like George Broussard.

I'm telling you, a LOT of the hype around DN3D is nostalgia glasses. DNF will never be good, or even passable, to the people comparing it to DN3D regardless of the choices Gearbox/3D Realms made. Am I telling you the game's awesome? Heavens no, it is far from awesome. Am I telling you it is terrible? No, it is not terrible either.

It is an average game, and DN3D was an average game that gets placed on a pedestal because "OMG I REMEMBER THIS FROM WHEN I WAS (insert age here)!!!1 PIXELATED TITIES WERE DA BOMB!!!"

There is some very simple linguistic humor at work here and I really feel like you're missing the burn

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It is a bit of a shame in a way, if the creators had been willing to really go a little high concept there is potential for Duke to be pretty cool in a modern game.  I think it could have be pretty awesome if they actually played Duke as this washed up offensive anachronism that everyone at the beginning of the story thinks is a egotistical douche bag.  However, it ends up only his particular brand of arrogant badassedness that can succeed against the Alien hordes. 

If they really embraced the tropes and played the humor right instead of being juvenile Duke could still make for a hilarious romp.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
DNF will have a sequel, it's been pretty much confirmed. So chances are that Gearbox which currently owns the IP will remedy a lot of the faults in DNF now that they can develop it ground up in-house. Here's hoping they will succeed and create a worthy successor to DN3D.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
DNF will have a sequel, it's been pretty much confirmed. So chances are that Gearbox which currently owns the IP will remedy a lot of the faults in DNF now that they can develop it ground up in-house. Here's hoping they will succeed and create a worthy successor to DN3D.

:yes:
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Mikes

Yeah... and when will that come out? 2030 ? :)

Offline Luis Dias

Except they pretty much burned their reputation with DNF. Nobody will care about Duke Nukem Eternity.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Except they pretty much burned their reputation with DNF. Nobody will care about Duke Nukem Eternity.

Sure they did.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
People are overanalyzing DNF.

I's a simple, silly shooter.
You are not analyzing DNF.

Some of us want to know if it's good or not.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
 :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I have no idea what you just mean by the former.

As for the latter - it's a silly and fun, but rather average shooter. Depending on your tastes (largely in humor) and expectations, you're probably gonna love it or hate it.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
It is a bit of a shame in a way, if the creators had been willing to really go a little high concept there is potential for Duke to be pretty cool in a modern game.  I think it could have be pretty awesome if they actually played Duke as this washed up offensive anachronism that everyone at the beginning of the story thinks is a egotistical douche bag.  However, it ends up only his particular brand of arrogant badassedness that can succeed against the Alien hordes.
That actually sounds pretty good!
/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.

Offline Luis Dias

Well it was the way that it was done, actually. We basically see the president of the US of A telling duke to **** off with his ****, coz its time to talk, not fight like duke likes, etc. Then we see that it doesn't work that way, and the only way possible is duke's.

Of course, the execution of that idea was monumentally boring and dull and pathetic. So you are excused if you are in some misapprehension and think that they didn't do exactly what you said ;).

Offline Mikes

Finally playing Duke Nukem Forever definitely was a childhood dream of mine... that I now wish had forever remained unfulfilled. Yurks.