Author Topic: Post retail or gameplay bugs here!  (Read 52635 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Post errors/bugs/problems here!
Bug: The "capture the taranis" mission briefing does not reference previous mission file correctly - it uses the old filenames instead of the new ones.  Because of this, the briefing displays the "failed previous mission" stages even if that wasn't the case.

On mission were you fly the shivan Dragon I have 2 problems with it.

1/I think you`ve changed the pattern of the fighters... Arjuna 1 makes it almost impossible to scan the lillith cruisers cause it gets too close.

2/The Eva demon cannot be scanned. The scan section is too far forward. On the origional they made the scan "cone" of the Eva much bigger as it was so large you got too close to AR1 or the sentry guns to scan it. In the orig FS the rear was also scannable. The port makes it almost imposs (done 8 times and alwys been seen so far) to scan the Eva. God knows what the Lucifer scan is going to be like.

Just a small problem in a very enjoyable mod guys. Tweak and I shall parise you all the more.
You`d need more than a lightsabre to kick a shivans arse!!!

I pick wahoonies for a living! Maybe that why I have no friends,

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Playing Judas is definitely weird.  You start much further from the node and have to fly for at least a minute before you scan anything.  And the fighter patrols seem harder than before.

However, scanning the Eva is not hard once you figure out what's going on.  FS2 apparently automatically targets the subsystem closest to you when something arrives.  This unfortunately turns into the farthest thing pretty quickly.  Simply disable subsystem targeting after the Eva jumps in and you'll be able to scan it easily.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I've fixed all these bugs and more, and optimized and enhanced a few other things. They'll be present in Port 2.1.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Towani

Really? You have even fixed team vs team play? :)

I have spent hours and innummerable computer restarts trying to fix the problem myself thinking that there wasn't going to be a reply. I intended to post my findings when I had either solved the problem or at least found out what was wrong.

So I may as well post what I determined so far, perhaps the information will be of some use:

GTB Athena: Has 'Prometheus R' as a default primary but doesn't have a matching entry in its allowed PBanks.

PVB Amun: Has 'Prometheus R' as a default primary but its matching entry has a space in it causing the game to think it is a different weapon ' Prometheus R'.

Both of the above ships are currently crashing the client player even after fixing the above errors.

Dragon (Terrans): Has no allowed dogfight weapons. Is this correct?

I have tested adding FSPort content to a custom weapons and ship table one at a time. I've finished ship testing/adding and next I'm going to test adding each weapon back in. Or should I not do this and wait for FSPort V2.1? Having frustrated myself over this I'm eager to finish the job and achieve my own team vs team play, working, custom tables for the mod.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I'll clean up those table entries.

FSPORT is acutally completely unbalanced for multiplayer, seeing as A) PXO doesn't like mods and B) I can't seem to get to the multiplayer game room without FS2 locking up on me. :blah:

I would suggest waiting for Port 2.1, since there are many additions and fixes. Thanks for your concern. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

New problem/bug!!

Playing FS2 missions after FS1 and silent threat.
Bombing the Ravana!

GTVA Boanercdes bomber cannot apparently carry cyclops short weapons....

I think the tables for FS2 ships have become a little muddled and need changing back. Whoever heard of a bomber unable to carry bombs!!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I know, I fixed it two days ago. :) Patience.

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
I know, I fixed it two days ago. :) Patience.

Sorreee :p :p

great conversion though, really good, the lucifer scared the S out of me with it`s sexy capship beams (nice)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
"Good Luck" (killing the Lucifer) needs work.  I can't send messages to anybody, so there's no way to tell them to go for a certain reactor.  And as far as that goes, I don't know if it's something different between FS2 and FS1 or simply that the weapons were wrong, but Delta didn't do squat against the reactors.  I couldn't even get them to be useful even by CHEATING (killing all the Shivan fighters), which surprised me.

Suggestion for the closing credits...
At the end of Good Luck, give the Lucifer an ai-warp-out goal as soon as it's destroyed.  It'll start jumping out, still exploding, just as the red-alert is triggered.  Then, in the credits mission, show the Lucifer emerging from subspace and exploding. ;7

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Havoc has two spawn types.  That's not allowed. :)

And there are a bunch of other problems with the Port tables that currently can only be seen by running a debug build of fs2_open.  I suggest you try that. :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Done, and they're all fixed. Still no luck with the mission though!
I'll post the new tables in the internal...

Originally posted by Goober5000
"Good Luck" (killing the Lucifer) needs work.  I can't send messages to anybody, so there's no way to tell them to go for a certain reactor.  And as far as that goes, I don't know if it's something different between FS2 and FS1 or simply that the weapons were wrong, but Delta didn't do squat against the reactors.  I couldn't even get them to be useful even by CHEATING (killing all the Shivan fighters), which surprised me.

Suggestion for the closing credits...
At the end of Good Luck, give the Lucifer an ai-warp-out goal as soon as it's destroyed.  It'll start jumping out, still exploding, just as the red-alert is triggered.  Then, in the credits mission, show the Lucifer emerging from subspace and exploding. ;7

Funny, I never bother to roder them around. I did this by concentrating on the fighters. The bombers seem to know exactly what to do.

If you mess with them in FS they end up being useless. In the covers and the orig I left them alone and they knocked out three all at once cause the bombers each took a diff reactor.

Try concentating on giving cover and see what happens.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Didn't you read my post?  I did give them cover.  I also gave them more cover by cheating - destroying all the enemy ships as soon as they arrived.  Neither way worked.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
:doubt:
C-3-4
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Towani

If only I had known about running a debug build earlier I would so quickly have learned why the Athena and Amun were crashing the game. Athough the debug error message doesn't come up unless you try to add one of the bugged ships into your mission.

Now, using FS2Open multiplayer -nearly- works.

There's still two problems, both of which appear to be related to the program code rather than this mod.

The first being an 'access violation' crash that occurs a short way into a mission. Usually at address 'FFFFFF' so it's one of those horrible null pointer errors.

The second being if you have more than a few types of ship in the mission then while the mission will be playable there are several ships lacking any model. The ship is there and targetable but only the engine glows can be seen and shot, the rest of the ship is missing. It also makes the ship invulnerable to hull damage from direct hits, but remains damagable from splash damage.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Great! :nod: Keep us updated.

Say... how would you like to join the Port team as "Multiplayer consultant?" ;7

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Hippo
:doubt:
C-3-4

:rolleyes:
C-3-No Valid Items

Offline Towani

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
Great! :nod: Keep us updated.

Say... how would you like to join the Port team as "Multiplayer consultant?" ;7

I'm honoured to be given such an offer :D  and I'd like to take you up on it :) . Having 2 computers networked together in the same room proves useful when testing multiplayer. And it's a lot of fun playing multiplayer too :D . I think testing over PXO is going to be difficult for me though as I'm only on 56k and, of course, any PXO tests would have to be pre-arranged with others.

Is there anything regarding multiplayer you would like me check out at the moment? Or should I just remain vigilant for any developments till FS2Port V2.1 is released?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I won't go into that here. We'll make a new thread, internally, for multiplayer development. Try to keep this thread as clean as we can.

If you're signing up now, we can integrate better multiplayer support into 2.1. How does that sound?