Author Topic: FreeSpace 1 Music doesn't work in FS2Port!  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Artanis

FreeSpace 1 Music doesn't work in FS2Port!
Hi all,
firstly I want to say that you've done a great job with this port! Thank you very much!

Now, returning to my problem: everything goes right but the music doesn't work.
I've installed all the .vp (including warble_fs1.vp) and when I try to load FreeSpace 2 it works fine but he uses FS2 Music.
When I put the file "fsport_music.vp" (needed to load the FS1 Soundtracks) in the freespace 2 main directory the game doesn't load anymore.

The screen becomes black and 3 seconds after it returns to windows. When I delete the file "fsport_music.vp" the game loads again, but still no freespace 1 music.

What can I do to enabling fs1 soundtrack in the FreeSpace Main Campain (Great War)?

Thank you very much and sorry for my English, I'm italian ;)

Fabrizio

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Read the readme.

As the readme says, you need to use SCP version 3.5.5 or later in order to have the music work.  Otherwise, it will crash.

Offline Artanis

I've tried using SCP version 3.5.5 and the game starts even with the "fsport_music.vp" (offcourse also the "warble_fs1.vp") .
BUT still I don't get the FS1 music in The Great War.
I can hear only the FS2 music and when the battle starts the music remain the same (i think it's "FS2_Amb_a01").

Any suggestions?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Er, well, you'll also need to specifically set the mission to use the FS1 music track in FRED.  As it says on the download page, only the SCP version of the main campaign (which hasn't been released yet) uses the FS1 music.

Offline Artanis

This is strange...

I've looked in the fs1 mission with fred and there is no reference of which music play (except from briefing and debriefing). Al the music tracks are recorded in the music.tbl

And even if I can load the game with it (using SCP) the music doesn't work.

What can I do to solve this?

What I must download? and WHERE?

Thank you

Not yet, I guess. I also used the port on SCP, as a mod, because I couldn't make it work in the retail version.

Besides, it was fun playing Silent Threat with the FS2 music :)

(Also, I think I found a bug in the second mission of the FS1 campaign. The Vasudan Ace seems to be missing.
And thanks for removing the training!:D )

Offline Artanis

Yes I've noticed that too... I was searching for that Vasudan Ace... no medal I think! :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Artanis: Look in the mission specs window.

mrduckman: To get the Ace, you have to play at Hard difficulty and finish with > 50% hull strength.  I'll change this to Medium.

Offline Artanis

I've finally succeded in enabling FS1 Music!!!

I was looking for a ".wav" reference in the missions files, that's why I didn't found anything. Then I've searched for "music" and... that's it! At the bottom of the file there was a label reference to the music table file!
So, I've changed all the FS1 missions (extracted from the fs1_port.vp) for using the fs1 soundtracks. A long work, but I need it!

If this edited missions can be usefull I'll post them, just ask.

Thank you for the support, and thanks to the porters! I own FREESPACE 1 but it doesn't work anymore in WINXP. Luckily for me there is this marvellous port.

Tnx again and sorry for my english! :P

Curious, I've FS1 Retail and it does work on Windows XP.

Regarding of the ported missions, zip them? :)
(I'd also say send them to the FSPort developers, but I don't have their addresses)

Dario aka Mr. Duckman

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Already done.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,17584.0.html

Specifically,
http://users.freestart.hu/szandtner/missions.rar

However, these are several months out of date.  We'll be releasing the FSPort: SCP Edition (which will support the FS1 music) shortly, so keep your eyes open. :)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
That thing is still up there? Good thing they haven't purged my stash.

That thing was before 2.3 - I guess it must have been 2.1 or smg. Quite outdated.

I should take time and redo it, but I can't be bothered with it right now.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Don't worry, we'll be re-doing it soon.