Author Topic: A little Refresher course for us n00bies  (Read 3024 times)

A little Refresher course for us n00bies
I'm not new to modding, in general, but I am new to the freespace 2 community, and ports specifically. Help a poor guy out and inform me what is required to run the Freespace 1 port onto fs2, where it needs to be installed, how and what inferno is for (I have release 1 downloaded), What FS_open is (and if I should have it, or if it's required) and whether these are cross compatible with the Sol-a History and Homesick campeigns/mods. (Be nice to get those working too ;) )Right now all I have actually installed is the typical freespace 2 installation, as well as a pilot who's beaten the campeign w/ almost all the medals. everything else is zipped on my HD and ready to install. I also own the original 2 disk freespace:the great war. What do I do now?Please keep the fs modding lingo to a minimum, I'm sure I'll pick up on it eventually.

[edit]Also, what video files, if any, arent included in the website downloads (I just went ahead and got em all, the high rez artwork, command breif anims, etc.) that I can/should just take off the disks and put on my HD? It would be nice if I didn't have to keep switching out disks, or if I could watch the fs1 vids during the ported campeign. If so, where do I put them? [/edit]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 05:45:56 pm by 1836 »
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
The Wiki has a great list of files and instructions on how to install the mods.
Check out the post I created for some information on how to install FSPort.  Put basically to run it without the launcher, dump the FSPORT2_3 package into the root directory of your freespace 2 install.  
"C:\Games\Freespace2"
Geh.. The Wiki explains how to run mods with FS2_Open better than I can.

To make FS2_Open work, basically grab the latest revision and place it in your root Freespace 2 directory, along with the launcher.  Then launch FS2_Open with the launcher, as it'll set up the flags accordingly.

One note, It's highly reccomended NOT to run FS2_Open with the Inferno mod.  I tried it and I'd crash out here and there with no warning, and sometimes I'd crash out with a FRED error of some type.  Though if you run Inferno without the FS2_Open launcher, it should work.

Oh and just a heads-up, Make a new pilot profile for each and every mod you plan to run, saves you the headache of having to reset your progress in certain situations.  For example make a pilot for plain freespace 2 with no mods, a pilot for inferno, a pilot for FS2_open regular FS2 campaign, a pilot for FSPORT...

I'm sure the people who know much more than I about this would have better ways to do this but this is how I've gotten away with less headaches.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 07:36:45 pm by 1825 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Inferno has its own build of FSO.  You can find it in PhReAk's signature link.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

*slowly and methodically places everthing correctly*

*Watches the 157 different exctraction bars go by*

*examines fs_open*

*runs main campaign*
(remembers to spell campaign with an 'a')

-15 minute pause

*picks jaw up off of keyboard*

Oh.....my......Lord!!!!!
This is incredible! It's genius! no, its ART!!!!!!
I havent tried the inferno stuff, I'm just gonna make a copy of the entire directory (heh, I never use all of the space on mh HD anyway) and keep em seperate, but this is just amazing. Great work. GREAT work. Thank you thank you thank you thank you...Nix, I could kiss you!

...but I won't.
wow.....

-Aaron Pettit
"Do you plunder?"
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09

Post Script: Is there any way to duplicate my control/config settings without duplicating the pilots, or is that all wrapped up in a neat, tidy, 'ahem' less-than-useless package?

Also, is it possible to take the fullscreen campaign movies from fs1 and fs2 and put them somewhere so I never have to switch out the disks? Moreover, is there a no-cd setup so I can just pack the cds away? I know my silent threat cd is already beyond repair, I would like to be able to save the rest (ahhh, my younger days. good thing I don't take care of cds like THAT anymore)
"Do you plunder?"

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Originally posted by Lukeskywalkie
Post Script: Is there any way to duplicate my control/config settings without duplicating the pilots, or is that all wrapped up in a neat, tidy, 'ahem' less-than-useless package?

I'd like to know if there was a way to do this as well, like if there was some kind of tool to dupe a pilot profile which will carry over keybindings.  I hate having to make a new pilot for each campaign and having to re-enter my extensively modified keybind set.   As far as I know, your keybinds are set in your pilot file but I just dont know how...

I manage to play FS with keyboard and mouse, controlling most if not all targeting, movement and communication functions with my left hand, the weapon/shield/engine on the numpad, some custom keys bound to other unused keystrokes on the right hand side of the keys for my multi-buttoned mouse, and all firing and fine-tuning controls on the mouse.

As for a cd-less setup, I personally dont have problems running certain mods without CD's.  But what I did was image my originals, burn them all onto a single DVD then used Daemon-Tools to mount the images off of the DVD.  It's fast and easy, but a pain in the ass if you forget to unmount the images before ejecting the dvd.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 10:13:21 pm by 1825 »

I'm too absent-minded about image mounts. I'm gonna go ahead and burn to dvd anyway though.
I was thinking more of a no-cd hack coupled with copying the vids onto the HD. I'm gonna see if there are any out there, and if they interfere with the MOD(s)
I use a sidewinder pro, with all the targeting functions on the A,B,C,D buttons, and the sheild/energy management around the insert/pdown keys. I also have my hud way tweaked, but more than anything it's a pain mapping the view and targeting controls for every player.
"Do you plunder?"

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
As far as retaining config settings, all you have to do is go to the pilot select screen, select the pilot with the settings you like, and press the "Clone Pilot" option, then add a name for that pilot.  Note that it will default to whatever campaign the source pilot had, so I'd go and select which campaign you wanted the new pilot for.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
FSO doesn't require the disk (or it shouldn't anyway), and the movies have been converted, you'll probly find them if you use a search.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together