Author Topic: How to use Freespace 1 music  (Read 3697 times)

How to use Freespace 1 music
Already put the files warble_fs1 and fsport_music.vp into the games\fs2 directory.  Am I supposed to do something with FRED now (I know nothing about using FRED)?  This is only to play Freespace: the Great War.  Can someone please provide specific step by step instructions?
athlon xp 3000+ 1024 mb 333mhz BFG 6800 gt oc 256 mb sbaudigy 2 logitech z-680 5.1 windows xp home sp2

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Did you read the readme included with the ZIP file? :doubt:

I quote...
To use Freespace 1 music in your Freespace 2 missions, do the following:

1) Copy the fsport_music.vp file and the warble_fs1.vp file into your Freespace 2 folder (or the folder containing your mod's base vp, if you're using the SCP's -mod option).

2) Edit your mission in FRED2_OPEN and select a Freespace 1 music track from the drop-down menu.  These tracks have the FS1- prefix: e.g. FS1-BRIEF1 or FS1-3: Chaser.

3) Run your mission using FS2_OPEN.

Yes I read the readme, several times.  But I do not have any mission files with fs2 extensions that can be opened and edited by FRED2_OPEN.  Are these fs2 files supposed to be somehow extracted from fsport2_3.vp?
athlon xp 3000+ 1024 mb 333mhz BFG 6800 gt oc 256 mb sbaudigy 2 logitech z-680 5.1 windows xp home sp2

Offline DIO

Originally posted by bigglesworth
Yes I read the readme, several times.  But I do not have any mission files with fs2 extensions that can be opened and edited by FRED2_OPEN.  Are these fs2 files supposed to be somehow extracted from fsport2_3.vp?

download the vpview program.

All right, some progress using vpview, thanks.  Used vpview to extract the 49 FS1 missions into the fs2\data\missions folder (*.fs2 files).  Next, opened the first fs2 file with FRED2_OPEN 3.6.5 and selected mission specs editor.  Music drop-down menu has 10 choices, starting with Requiem of the Line, Into the Fire,..., last choice is ITF - 6.  But none of these musics have an fs1 prefix.  What happens now?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You still need the fsport_music.vp in the Freespace2 folder.

Originally posted by Goober5000
You still need the fsport_music.vp in the Freespace2 folder.

Yes, fsport_music.vp is still sitting in the Freespace 2 folder.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Music drop-down menu has 10 choices, starting with Requiem of the Line, Into the Fire,..., last choice is ITF - 6. But none of these musics have an fs1 prefix.
These aren't the normal Freespace music tracks.  Do you have any other mods installed?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Those are from the Babylon 5 Standalone version (My obsession with b5 music pays off! :p)
-C

There is a list of vp files in the freespace2 directory: fsport_glow, fsport_hi-res, smarty_fs2, sparky_fs2, sparky_hi_fs2, stu_fs2.  Also, I installed Boomerang missions.  Might be some other stuff, how should I check to be sure no other mods are interfering?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Check your data directory for any extra VPs or mod files. Also, make sure you're running the EXEs in the same directory you installed the port to.

Oh, and make sure you don't have any .tbl files lying around in your FS2 dir.
-C

By any chance, has anyone actually gone through and set the music in the FSPort campaign to use the appropriate FS1 music with the new table?  If so, care to maybe put the files up for download?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Soon.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I went through myself and changed all of them by hand, using the FS1 mission files as a reference.  The trick is, you have to have the FSPort's music table in your data folder, otherwise FRED2 won't list the new music tracks.  I was also able to change the briefing music, but the debriefing tracks are hardcoded by FS2, so no luck there.  I have to say that I really enjoyed the Port; it was great playing through FS1 again with the updated graphics. :) My only complaint would be the use of the default FS2 wingmen personas instead of those from FS1, but I'm not even sure if those can be changed, or how complex of an undertaking it would be.  Still, it's a small price to pay to see FS1 in all of the SCP's glory. :D

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Those can be changed since the WCSaga already uses their own ones.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Originally posted by Goober5000
Soon.

Sweet. I have no clue how to use FRED or any of that.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance