Author Topic: Training missions?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Blahd

I recently purchased the FS1/2 combo pack, and the FS 1 conversion for FS 2 works great. However, is it possible to play the FS 1 training missions somehow? I've never played the game before, so it's kinda tough learning the mechanics without a tutorial.

Offline Nuclear1

You can play the FS2 tutorial missions. They're virtually the same as the Freespace 1 tuts, with only one or two actual changes. The FS1 training missions weren't ported, IIRC, so playing the FS2 version seems to be your best option.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Blahd

Yes, I thought so. The problem is that I'd have to play through several FS 2 missions to get to the advanced training missions (which are what I'm really looking for), and I'd like to save that for when I complete FS 1.

Seems like my only option is to do it in the original FS 1.

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
The first FS1 training missions leave out the same stuff the first FS2 training missions leave out. You would't get anything about the energy transfer systems, shields, or aspect locking secondaries in FS1 initial training, and I believe ETS and shields are only briefly covered in FS2's initial training.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to port the FS1 trainings over and release them with ST Reborn (hint hint...)

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Heyah,

Sorry to bring this old thread back to life, but I thought I'd just chip in my €0.02.
Perhaps someone would be kind enough to port the FS1 trainings over
Erhm, the fifth training mission in FS1 uses the "Interceptor#Weak" missile, which seemingly hasn't been ported.
Yet.

Are there any plans for such? Is the WEAPONS.TBL file crammed to the brim already, or could it be squeezed in?
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Roanoke

Probably easier to adjust the Freding

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Probably easier to drop the Fang and re-insert the Interceptor#Weak... ;)

I haven't checked the size of the WEAPONS.TBL, though. So, how'sit, GalEmp/Goober5K? Is there room in there for the Interceptor#Weak?
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Probably, but it's not really necessary. Just use the standard Interceptor, or the Harpoon#weak.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nuclear1

They're not really any difference between the Int#Weak and the regular Int. You can still take out the freighter's weapons subsystem manageability and without destroying the freighter itself.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!