Author Topic: Why are the FS1 mission bugs not fixed?  (Read 11576 times)

Offline CaptJosh

Why are the FS1 mission bugs not fixed?
Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or a difficulty setting.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline CaptJosh

Got a new bug. In the mission to capture the Taranis, I could not target subsystems on the Taranis, and thus could not complete the mission because I was unable to target the engines to disable them.

EDIT: Just to confirm, I replayed the previous mission, "The Light and the Darkness," and I could target subsystems on the Taranis then. This bug appears mission specific.

Note: I was playing FS Port on the 10/13/05 build of FS2 Open at medium difficulty.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 04:59:59 pm by 2993 »
CaptJosh

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You can destroy subsystems without targeting them, you know.  The Stiletto doesn't require a lock.

In any case, if that's a bug, it's for the SCP to handle, not the FSPort.

Offline CaptJosh

Ok. Let's go through this again. This is an apparent mission specific issue. In "The Darkness and the Light," where I am specifically ordered not to engage the Taranis, and it blows up a Hammer of Light ship I was supposed to disarm and disable, I am perfectly able to use subsystem targeting. It is only in the next mission, "First Strike," in which I am unable to target the subsystems of the Taranis. Thus far, "First Strike" is the only mission in which I have not been able to target subsystems on a capship.

As to your argument that the Stiletto does not need a target lock to destroy subsystems, this is only partially true. It does not require an aspect lock on a target. However, in order to destroy a particular subsystem in a timely manner, I must be able to at least have a basic radar lock on that system so that the missile initially targets it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 06:34:30 pm by 2993 »
CaptJosh

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You know. Goober, I've had similar problems when playtesting ST:R. I've simply dismissed them as being weird mission problems but it looks like I'm not the only one. This needs investigating, I think...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by CaptJosh
As to your argument that the Stiletto does not need a target lock to destroy subsystems, this is only partially true. It does not require an aspect lock on a target. However, in order to destroy a particular subsystem in a timely manner, I must be able to at least have a basic radar lock on that system so that the missile initially targets it.
No, you can blind-fire Stilettos and they work just fine.

I never said it was easy, just that it was possible. :D

Both of you: Do these problems occur in earlier builds or in retail?

Offline CaptJosh

I never had the problem in FS1 Retail, which I still have. I'll test in in the SCP 3.6.7  release, but I think it likely that the issue will still be there.
CaptJosh

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I've only ever had it crop up in 3.6.7, and even then extremely rarely. I don't know if I can reproduce it but it seems to happen with the Cain most often.
And it's not just subsystem targeting that goes, it's the subsystem functionality. None of the turrets fire, and you can shoot all you want at where the engines should be and it won't be disabled. It's as if all the Subsystem definition flags in the mission for that ship weren't loaded.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline CaptJosh

Interesting. I just tested in in 3.6.7 and it went off fine. Well, other than getting my ass shot off, anyway. I guess we need to mantis this sucker.

EDIT: I switched back to the 10/13/05 build and it was still working fine again. WTF!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:31:04 pm by 2993 »
CaptJosh