Author Topic: Rewriting History  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Nuclear1

After some recent Wiki browsing, I noticed that a lot of the history section seems to be rather bland. Don't get me wrong or think that I'm being ungrateful, and I understand the free time issue, but I really think we can fill this up a lot better.

How, you ask? Simply enough.

What happens is that two or three people volunteer. The volunteers then each pick a different section of the history to write/expand on. I don't mean that one person takes the entire Hades Rebellion or the entire Second Great War, but that they proceed something like this:

[list=1]
  • Pick a particular 'stub' of the history (such as the Battle of Deneb, the NTC Trinity, or expanding on the destruction of the Lucifer).
  • Research this particular event or section thoroughly. Look through the Tech Room History, ship/weapon descriptions, or other official sources for information about the event.
  • Write an article on it. It doesn't have to be particularly lengthy, neither should it be a stub or only a few lines.
Repeat this several times, and eventually we will have the entire history of Freespace detailed.

Any opinions? If this is a go, I'll volunteer to write and research the early history of the GTVA's ops in the nebula (i.e. pre-Sathanas).
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That seems like a lot of pointless work. If someone wants an event-by-event recap of a particular mission, there's always the Tech room.
Think about demand. Who would actually need this? Would it be worth the effort?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
*waits for a certain n00b to say it's the greatest thing since sliced toasted mini wheats, with orange text*
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I've never really liked mini-wheats myself. The fibers get caught in my teeth.

I can see it being an interesting read, but I dunno about the practical use of it.
-C

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Tons of stuff are useless on the FS Wiki.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.