Author Topic: Freespace Port 3.0.3 Released!  (Read 56240 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: Freespace Port 3.0.3 Released!
Hrm. So you can't. That should now be fixed. :)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline ShivanSpS

Ok I attaching the mod.ini and portv3.bmp :P this file whas originally in the first repley, but I delete it :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

Maybe I am really too stupid but if I use the mod.ini in the fsport dir I created and put
Code: [Select]
[multimod]
secondarylist = ,mediavps;
in it it doesn't show the improved graphics from the mediavp dir. It just works when I put the fs1 port vps AND the mediavps in one dir.
Does anyone have a clue in what I am doing wrong or is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks

Offline ShivanSpS

[launcher]
image255x112 = portv3.bmp;
infotext     = This is a brand spanking new version of the Freespace Port that has been rebuilt from the ground up to provide you with the best possible Freespace 1 experience. We've abandoned the attempt to keep the Port compatible with the main Freespace 2 campaign (considering the now-common use of the -mod feature and the fact that several ship stats changed between FS1 and FS2) and turned it into its own separate mod.  We've re-imported the original tables and missions from FS1 with the absolute minimum changes necessary to get them working in FS2.  It's just about as close as you can get to playing FS1 without actually playing FS1. ;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,39.0.html;

[multimod]
secondrylist = ,mediavps;

anyway, you can download the mod.ini file in my previus post  :P

I think I messed up a few things.
I am not running windows so I don't have the launcher either.
Using the command line option -mod fsport,mediavps seems to work now though.
I just have terrible slowdowns when fighters are shooting or firing missiles...I removed the advanced effects already but that doesn't change anything besides my machine should be powerful enoug.
I am going to investigate more though but if anyone has a clue or hints please let me know.

Offline Schyzzo

Someone has another link to this mod!?
Everytime I try to download it the file stuck in 40% and doesnt resume!!!:(

Someone has another link to this mod!?
Everytime I try to download it the file stuck in 40% and doesnt resume!!!:(
Can't help you there.  But I'd recommend freedownloadmanager.org for a download manager with resume support.

Wanted to download the 3.0.3 version but the link seems to be down...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Fixed.

I´ve now installed FSPort 3.0.3 and removed the 2.3-file, the _music-file and the old stu_ and sparky-files. The FS-Port now runs fine when I just want to play Freespace 1. But when I try to start FS2 Open or the Derelict-Mod I get several errors about ships and weapons not found. I have the 3.6.8 Zeta (yes, I´ve even installed the patches!) and the 3.6.9 built. Are these incompatible with the Port 3.0.3 whe I try to running mods? I was forced to reinstall the old 2.3-version in order to get along with FS 2 Open and other mods (like Derelict, what I´m actually playing). :confused:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Did you read what I said in the first post?

IMPORTANT: Please note that this version is incompatible with all previous ported campaigns and third-party enhancements.  Unless the campaign supplies its own table files (like Shrouding the Light), you'll need to keep 2.3 around for them to work.

In other words, the Port is incompatible with almost every non-Port campaign.  You'll have to disable or remove the Port, or only use the Port with the -mod option in SCP, for other campaigns to work.

Offline neoterran

if you use the latest launcher (5.5) you don't need that prefixed comma in the secondary list either.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Hey, I've just noticed the new stu_fs1.vp. Downloading...

What does it have over retail one?
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hey, I've just noticed the new stu_fs1.vp. Downloading...

What does it have over retail one?

You mean, over stu_fs2?  Or over the original version of stu_fs1?

It has all the FS1 non-persona and non-traning voice messages.  The original stu_fs1 was missing a few files, particularly for multiplayer.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Those missing files (if I recall correctly) actually ended up in silent threat, I think.

At some point while taking apart the FSPort files and comparing them to the originals + silent threat, I managed to get working vocals for things that did not originally have vocals in FSPort. IE: The Gauntlets and Multi.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

IMPORTANT: Please note that this version is incompatible with all previous ported campaigns and third-party enhancements.  Unless the campaign supplies its own table files (like Shrouding the Light), you'll need to keep 2.3 around for them to work.

In other words, the Port is incompatible with almost every non-Port campaign.  You'll have to disable or remove the Port, or only use the Port with the -mod option in SCP, for other campaigns to work.
I always use the port as a mod, but even that didn´t work for me. And FS 2 Open should start correctly when I choose it in the campaigns room, doesn´t it? Will you fix this in future so that each mod does start correctly like in the 2.3 version?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

I always use the port as a mod, but even that didn´t work for me. And FS 2 Open should start correctly when I choose it in the campaigns room, doesn´t it? Will you fix this in future so that each mod does start correctly like in the 2.3 version?

It's amazing how every newbie always assumes they've done everything perfectly and their problems must be someone else's fault. :rolleyes:

Haven't you been paying attention to what karajorma said in your other threads?  You've installed your mods incorrectly and they're interfering with one another.  Read the wiki or karajorma's FAQ to learn how to install mods correctly.

It's amazing how every newbie always assumes they've done everything perfectly and their problems must be someone else's fault. :rolleyes:

Haven't you been paying attention to what karajorma said in your other threads?  You've installed your mods incorrectly and they're interfering with one another.  Read the wiki or karajorma's FAQ to learn how to install mods correctly.
Sorry, but I´ve read this and installed the mods as karajorma described. Even the structure of my FS 2 folders are correct.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Better not get Goob angry...

Anyway, you're not doing it correctly. If you want to play Derelict, you must either move, delete or deactivate FSport. The reason why FSPort 2.3 works with Derelict (actually, it won't, because of the Saphah and the Hydra would become Ulysses fighters) is because FSPort 2.3 is actually compatible with the retail campaign. FSPort 3.0 is not, it lacks most of the weapons and many of the ships that are used in the retail campaign.

So you must remove FSPort before playing any other MOD... It'll take just take a few secs to simply move it or just switch -mod commandlines.

Ehh... Ignore me if you want, I don't want to face anyone's rage, be it yours or Goober's...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 05:42:37 pm by Snail »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Snail is correct.  The Port and Derelict are incompatible with each other.  They must be installed separately.

If you have overlapping .vp files in your FreeSpace folder, or if you have random ships.tbl files in your tables folder, you'll get errors.

The vast majority of people can install and use Derelict and the Port without any problems.  If you read and follow the instructions on the Port website, in the wiki, and in Karajorma's FAQ, you'll be fine.