Author Topic: sparky_hi_fs1.vp  (Read 3692 times)

GalEm or Goober5000 mentioned that the FS1 DVD had sparky_hi_fs1.vp in it. does it do anything for FS1? are there any other differences between the FS1 DVD and CD versions? can i get a copy of the sparky_hi_fs1.vp for FS1? i have the retail CD version.

as a side question: are there any differences between the retail FS2 regular, FS2 GotY edition, and FS2 Interplay 25th Anniv. edition?

Great Work on the port! It looks gorgeous! I can't wait for ver. 3.0!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
GalEm or Goober5000 mentioned that the FS1 DVD had sparky_hi_fs1.vp in it. does it do anything for FS1? are there any other differences between the FS1 DVD and CD versions? can i get a copy of the sparky_hi_fs1.vp for FS1? i have the retail CD version.

There is no sparky_hi_fs1.vp supplied with retail FS1 because retail FS1 was designed for only 640x480.  The sparky_hi_fs1.vp on the FSPort website was made by the Port team.

as a side question: are there any differences between the retail FS2 regular, FS2 GotY edition, and FS2 Interplay 25th Anniv. edition?

The GOTY and 25th Anniversary ones are the same, and they contain additional missions and extras.

that's interesting because in this thread:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,22517.0.html

you mentioned a sparky_hi_fs1.vp in the FS1 DVD version. i also heard that the DVD version has all the small ships creating trails when they fly. is that true?

as for FS2 GotY, are the extra missions and add-ons available online? were they created by the community or Volition Inc.? i have the regular version of FS2.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
that's interesting because in this thread:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,22517.0.html

you mentioned a sparky_hi_fs1.vp in the FS1 DVD version.

No I didn't.  When I said "there's already a sparky_hi_fs1.vp" I was referring to the one on the website.  The hi-res textures that came with the FS1 DVD were put into sparkee_fs2.vp (on the Port site) which was later renamed to fsport-hires.vp.

i also heard that the DVD version has all the small ships creating trails when they fly. is that true?

Yes.

as for FS2 GotY, are the extra missions and add-ons available online? were they created by the community or Volition Inc.?

The missions were created by the community; the extras are from :v:.  They're available online somewhere.

thank you for clearing that up. i was very confused.

were the trails on the DVD version turned on on purpose? i thought you were only supposed to see the trails in a nebula.

what made ST incompatible with FS1 DVD?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The trails on the DVD were afterburner trails, such as the SCP has reinstated. They were probably omitted from the CDs for space reasons.

Installing the DVD version also set some files as 'read-only' meaning that Silent Threat was unable to patch the VPs correctly. Modifying these properties so they were editable, or extracting the ST tables, fixed the problem.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

sorry about all the questions. here's another one:

is there a way to turn on the trails in FS 1 and 2 by messing with the tables or other files instead of using SCP?

i thank you for your time.

continue the great work!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
is there a way to turn on the trails in FS 1 and 2 by messing with the tables or other files instead of using SCP?

FS1: Maybe if you have version 1.06 and copy the tables from the DVD, but it's possible that the trails were specific to the DVD build.

FS2: No.

i found this thread from 4 yrs. ago regarding afterburner trails:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,5593.0.html

i applied the changes to my ships.tbl in root.vp and mdisk.vp, but nothing happened. am i missing a texture or graphic?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, that means it's a build-specific feature.  So it won't work for other versions of FS1.