Author Topic: Old bug discussion  (Read 9873 times)

Offline bfobar

totally cool!

1 thing so far: Game gets mad when I look at the gtd orion (galatea) in the tech room because

Error: Passed filename, 'capital01-05a-intrepid-shine', is too long to support an extension!!

Maximum length, minus the extension, is 27 characters.

Then it bombs to desktop with a buffer overrun.

Also occurs with intrepid, myrmadon, and soyakaze.

Lastly, the GTF pegasus shows up in my tech ship list and bombs the game out with Error: Can't open model file <>

edit: The GTF Pegasus is getting read in from my media_vps. Now I just need to figure out why.

edit2: Turned off media_vps and I get the FS_Port splash screen for loading, but no main halls.

I patched up from 2.3. Should I just can the whole port and start with a fresh 3.0?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:28:39 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Freespace Port 3.0 Released!
I DLd the whole set from the webbysite and noted that i couldnt open tango_fs1.vp with vpview or rather it opens alright but there seems to be nothing inside..
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline starfox

It seems, that the game crashes after a few seconds I enter the mainhall. If I enter the briefing room, before the game crashes then the game plays just fine...

The only problem I've found is the mainhall crashing...

Other than that, Awesome job !
 :yes:

By the way, I made a fresh install of FSport + Updated sparky_hi_fs1 + updated missions
The rest of the files:

fsport_glow
fsport_hi-res
fsport_shine
sparky_hi_fs1
stu_fs1
tango_fs1
warble_fs1
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

It seems to be if you trigger either the options or techroom animations and let them run for more than an instant the game crashes.

The fs2 mainhall music plays too, don't know weather it's meant to or not but it just sounds plain freaky with the galatea backing sounds, lastly there don't appear to be any mission files but that could just be me missing something.

Edit: There don't seem to be any missions in the 3.0vp.  Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 06:11:06 am by Dark Knight »
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.

Offline starfox

Seems Cockpitted Apollo is missing, had to install it separately.
Dark Knight, you were right about the "Options and "Techroom" the animations do indeed crash the game...
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Ah, I was missing something... the abillity to read apparently. Never mind on the mission front.
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I get this into my debug spew with FSport (all files are fresh downloads) just while waiting in the mainhall..
Code: [Select]
Loaded pa_1.wav
Could not read sound file ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
Loaded weld01.wav
Loaded weld02.wav
Loaded pa_2.wav
SOUND ==> converting sound from ADPCM to PCM
SOUND ==> Coverted sound from ADPCM to PCM successfully
Loaded lift01a.wav
Loaded pa_3.wav
SOUND ==> converting sound from ADPCM to PCM
SOUND ==> Coverted sound from ADPCM to PCM successfully
Loaded switch.wav

Also all mainhall anims are about 1 pixel left of their proper place in 1024 x 768 x 32 OGL

And when exiting i hit sometimes this windows popup, which doesnt seem to occur without FSport..
Code: [Select]
Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library
Debug Assertation Failed!
Program: .....d-20060301.exe
File: dbgheap.c
Line: 1138
Expression: _BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)

No problems with r-build though (20060301), but r-20060227 crashes due mainhall.tbl's missing line +Num Intercom Sounds:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Filename too long: I'll look into fixing that.  For now, just don't view the models in the tech room.  They work fine in-game.

Tango_fs1.vp: I downloaded it just now and it worked fine.  Try again - maybe you have a corrupt download.

Options and Tech room animations: Try creating a new pilot upon startup and see if that still happens.

Main hall crashes (and everything else): Try running either retail or the latest CVS.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Tango_fs1.vp doesnt get properly read by my vpview but vpmage opens it nicely  :wtf:, only thing i can see different to other vpfiles that i quickly checked is that data folder name is written in CAPITAL letters.

And other the problems i marked have been encountered with latest (public) CVS 20060301 (with debug build) and do occur even if a new pilot is created prior entering to the mainhall.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Umm...question.
Are you supposed to get rid of fsport_music.vp and fs1_scp.vp?
I imagine you are, as they are incorporated into FSPort 3.
Does the patch util automatically delete them for you?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Tango_fs1.vp doesnt get properly read by my vpview but vpmage opens it nicely  :wtf:, only thing i can see different to other vpfiles that i quickly checked is that data folder name is written in CAPITAL letters.

Which version of vpview are you using?  It opens fine for me, on both 98 and XP.  I'm running 1.3b29.

And other the problems i marked have been encountered with latest (public) CVS 20060301 (with debug build) and do occur even if a new pilot is created prior entering to the mainhall.

Mantis, with precise details as to where, when, and steps to reproduce.  Keep in mind I tested it extensively before release, and it runs fine on both retail and latest CVS on my computer with no other mods installed. :)

Umm...question.
Are you supposed to get rid of fsport_music.vp and fs1_scp.vp?
I imagine you are, as they are incorporated into FSPort 3.
Does the patch util automatically delete them for you?

No, the patch is a very primitive program that only updates the VP it's designed for.  And yes, you should delete those two VPs.  I'll make a note of that in the first post.

Damn, there are "jump to desktop" crash on some missions which the newer builds, like 2/24...
The Last Build that it work 100% well is the Goober 2/20.

The last few builds have had several CTD bugs in them.  Try any build from 3/1 or later.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:25:30 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Weee! v3.0! Now finish ST:R! :p

Now, a question: What's the patch for? :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
VPView version is the same. .13build29, dunno why i wont read that file properly in my cpu (XP /w SP2).. IIRC it didnt even read it properly last time i downloaded the tango_fs1.vp (was about 6 months ago) back then i decided to get the tango vps separately (in which case vpview could read them). As for the other bugs i'll wait for the next cvs build before reporting...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Now, a question: What's the patch for? :nervous:

So you can download a small update as opposed to the full new version.

VPView version is the same. .13build29, dunno why i wont read that file properly in my cpu (XP /w SP2).. IIRC it didnt even read it properly last time i downloaded the tango_fs1.vp (was about 6 months ago) back then i decided to get the tango vps separately (in which case vpview could read them). As for the other bugs i'll wait for the next cvs build before reporting...

Well tango_fs1 hasn't changed, so if you had a previous version that worked, you can just restore that one.  It's odd that it would suddenly get messed up, though - all I did it was copy it from FilePlanet to HLP.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
All the vps are distributed in .zip , .rar , or .7z format, right?
Just run the "Test" option on them in WinZip, WinRAR, or 7-Zip.
For 7-zip, (freeware, no spyware, www.7-zip.org )that'd be:
(In Explorer) Right-click > 7-zip > Test archive
(In 7-zip) Move up/down the dir tree until you can select the file in the
explorer-like window.  Hit the "Test" button

Winzip and WinRAR are similar.

If the archive program doesn't report the file as corrupt or 'broken',
the problem is elsewhere.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, I've uploaded new versions of 3.0 and the patch to correct the texture filename crash.  Unfortunately I can't upload a patch for the VP I posted previously, because my patching program ran out of memory. :sigh: So if you downloaded 3.0 already, either download it again or patch a copy of 2.3 using the new patch.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, whaddaya know! the Galatea mainhall! looks a little fuzzy, but that's to be expected from a 640x480 to a 1024x786 conversion. :)

There's a small problem with that, though, but i'm not sure it's mainhall-related. I brought my mouse over to the techroom and the game gave me a fatal error message. When I ran a debug I kept getting this:

Warning: Spelling error in table file.  Please change "inital" to "initial".
File:c:\fs2_open\code\ship\ship.cpp
Line: 2348
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 007fd29c()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 007ffe28()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 00a42d3e()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 008002ff()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 006d8db3()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 006e5739()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 006e5a69()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 00b64777()
    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

but when i looked through all the tables that should contain 'initial', i found nothing wrong. in fact, i couldn't even find initial! :wtf:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

ok something weird is going on.  I removed the fsport 2_3 stuff and replaced it with the FSport 3 stuff and all of a sudden The silent threat and main fs1 campaign is missing the only files I replaced was fsport2_3.vp, the old sparky_hi_fs1.vp and the FS1_SCP.vp  as soon as i put them back and take out the new stuff the campiaigns return, any ideas what id be missing?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
you forgot the missions vp. ;)

Offline SGGWD

There's a small problem with that, though, but i'm not sure it's mainhall-related. I brought my mouse over to the techroom and the game gave me a fatal error message. When I ran a debug I kept getting this:

Warning: Spelling error in table file.  Please change "inital" to "initial".
File:c:\fs2_open\code\ship\ship.cpp
Line: 2348
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 007fd29c()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 007ffe28()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 00a42d3e()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 008002ff()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 006d8db3()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 006e5739()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 006e5a69()
    fs2_open_d-20060301.exe 00b64777()
    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

but when i looked through all the tables that should contain 'initial', i found nothing wrong. in fact, i couldn't even find initial! :wtf:
Just two quote as answer.

The "inital"/"initial" problem still exist in the 3/01/06 build.
No it doesn't.  It'll display a warning message, but it will work.