Author Topic: Can Original FS2 Campaign be hidden?  (Read 5057 times)

Can Original FS2 Campaign be hidden?
FSPort v3.0 haven't compatibility with the main Freespace 2 campaign.
Therefore, I want to have the FSPort not built into main Freespace2 campaign.
(Because it becomes the cause of tech-room trouble and other problems.)

Is it possible? :confused:

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Can Original FS2 Campaign be hidden?
Tech-room errors? As if ships or weapons not showing up properly?

Have you tried going to campaign screen and selecting 'The Main Freespace campaign'? And then going to tech room..

And what are talking about 'FSport not build into main freespace2 campaing'?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline DuncanF

• What makes a man is not who he is,but what he does
I think he's just asking if there is a way to remove the FS2 campaign from the campaign selection when you are running FSPort.
Until Next,
Duncan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No, there isn't.  Neither can you remove it when running Inferno or any other mod that doesn't use FS2 data.

This shouldn't cause any problems though.  If you start up the FS2 campaign you'll get Ulysseses for all FS2-era ships, but you shouldn't get any crashes.

Offline Shade

Only way to get rid of it that I can think of is replacing root_fs2.vp with one that doesn't contain the campaign. You can do this by extracting everything else and VPifying it (doesn't need to have the same name), putting it in the fs2 root directory, and then moving root_fs2.vp elsewhere... ideally putting it in a directory off the root dir so you can still access it as a mod if you need to.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

I think he's just asking if there is a way to remove the FS2 campaign from the campaign selection when you are running FSPort.
yes.

and
detail of tech-room error:
1. runnning FSSCP with FSPort
2. Restart FS main or ST campaign and change current campaign to FS2 main,
 or reboot FSSCP without FSPort after restart FS2 main campaign
3. go tech-room and try viewing 'weapons'
4. FSSCP are CTD :ick:

Of course, This is solved by Restart FS2 main campaign again.
(I checked it MVP 3.6.7 and 3.6.8, SCP of several months)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 02:56:42 pm by Arkblade »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
detail of tech-room error:
1. runnning FSSCP with FSPort
2. Restart FS main or ST campaign and change current campaign to FS2 main,
 or reboot FSSCP without FSPort after restart FS2 main campaign
3. go tech-room and try viewing 'weapons'
4. FSSCP are CTD :ick:

Of course, This is solved by Restart FS2 main campaign again.
(I checked it MVP 3.6.7 and 3.6.8, SCP of several months)

That's a SCP bug, not a FSPort bug.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Goober5000
Grammar Inquisition
That's an SCP...
 :)  :lol:
*can just hear Goob gritting his teeth*

Offline Nuclear1

No, technically both of you are correct. Goob could have meant it as simply short hand for saying "a Source Code Project bug", while saying the abbreviation outloud would warrant using an.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
No, technically both of you are correct. Goob could have meant it as simply short hand for saying "a Source Code Project bug", while saying the abbreviation outloud would warrant using an.
:rolleyes: aww, man... rats!

hmm...
anyone reported to mantis this bug?

Only way to get rid of it that I can think of is replacing root_fs2.vp with one that doesn't contain the campaign. You can do this by extracting everything else and VPifying it (doesn't need to have the same name), putting it in the fs2 root directory, and then moving root_fs2.vp elsewhere... ideally putting it in a directory off the root dir so you can still access it as a mod if you need to.
I'm regrettable that can't remove FS2 campaign from the campaign selection without change to original FS2 files. :(
Because, even if tech-room error was solved, i don't like seeing unneeded FS2 on FSPort and other MOD(like TCMOD). :sigh:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Just an idea, but if you created an empty file and saved it with the same name as the .fc2 for the main FS2 campaign, and put it in your data folder, wouldn't that hide it?

Nice Idea !  ;)
and I created empty fsportfolder\data\missions\freespace2.fc2 file.
can remove the FS2 campaign from the campaign selection !

Thx !!  :)

hmm.... :sigh:

can remove the FS2 campaign from the campaign selection...
but, Needless Missions to mission simulator - single mission appears when this method is used.  :ick:
(eg. loop1-1.fs2, SM2-01.fs2....

Isn't there solution except for each *.fs2 is overwrited with an empty file? :confused:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 09:36:11 pm by Arkblade »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I don't want to be snob but all of us know that FS2 campaign must not be selected from many MODS cause it won't work or even CTD.

Of course it would prettier if it does not appear within them, but I DO PREFER SCP crew and modders spend their time in more useful tasks.

(Just a thought)  :D
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That's just a side effect of running a mod.  There are cases where you'd want to still be able to access the main FS campaign.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@Arkblade:
Okay... try this idea: open the retail (unmodified) freespace2.fc2 in the campaign editor, and erase the campaign name, then save it to your fsport data dir.  (If it will let you save w/ a blank name.)  I'm not sure how that would work.  Also, you might try changing the name to @ , as I think that might allow a blank name to be saved.  Again, I'm not sure if any of this would work, but if you want to try it...