Author Topic: Gotta basic problem  (Read 6383 times)

Offline NFITC1

Gotta basic problem
So I dl/ed all the files that go along with this mod, but I can't figure out what to do with the master file. If I put it in the main directory the launch room changes. Is that supposed to happen?
Also, I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I'm not starting with the right ship and there are NO weapons in the loadout screen. The first mission starts and neither I nor my wingman have any weapons. Can anyone help?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Gotta basic problem
:welcome:

Just to ensure that other mods would run nicely and without any larger issues... Install FSPort files into their own mod folder
Also read Karajorma's FrwwSpace FAQ

Then after you have done that and want to start FSPort, remember to go to the campaign select screen and select one of the freespace port campaigns instead of Main FreeSpace 2 campaign.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
*Only now noticed the welcome*.

AGAIN! Dammit.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:46:35 pm by Sarafan »

Offline NFITC1

OK, I read Karajorma's FAQ and followed every instruction. I don't know where the Freespace Wiki is so I have to ask that along with the next problem I'm having.

When I try to go to the ship layout, it shows the right ship, but nothing in the left side menu (shouldn't it show a quantity of 0?). Also, selecting weapons loadout now crashes the game. What can I do?

Edit: BTW- I'm using v3.6.7 of FSO.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Upgrading is always a good idea but you dont have to do that if you dont want to though due various code changes 3.6.9 RCs are probably a much better option

Then FreeSpace wiki...

Also... Did you place the FSPort files into their own folder? Did you then select the same folder with the MOD tab in the FS_Open launcher. Then did you select the campaign before starting it?

Offline NFITC1

Yes, I did all of that. I haven't found 3.6.9 yet. I'll look later and only post again if the wiki doesn't help. Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Offline NFITC1

I cannot find 3.6.9, even after numerous google searches, and the wiki doesn't seem to address the problem I'm having. As far as I can tell I've done everything it said to do. I have launcher 5.3 and the wiki mentions 5.4. I can't find 5.4 either.

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/3.6.9-RC5.rar

Here ya go, I had trouble finding it too
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Upgrading is always a good idea but you dont have to do that if you dont want to though due various code changes 3.6.9 RCs are probably a much better option

Then FreeSpace wiki...

Also... Did you place the FSPort files into their own folder? Did you then select the same folder with the MOD tab in the FS_Open launcher. Then did you select the campaign before starting it?

The only thing I have in itsown folder is Awakenings and the Derelict mod. if I put the FS_port in its own folder FS won't run and the launcher gives me a cmd line error. So I leave the port and the fsport-missions in the main folder, I have everything except the HS2 hanger, my hanger is the FS1 hanger, same thing as FS2, just set up a little different. One of the most important things I learned while I was in the Navy is this, what the hanger bay looks like doesn't matter, since your rarely ever there.

Offline NFITC1

Neither of those helped. :( I guess I should describe exactly what I did.

First of all I'm running XP SP2 on an Athlon 64 3500+

I dl'ed these files:
fsport-fs1_training
fsport-glow
fsport-hi_res
fsport-missions
fsport-shine
fsport3_0_3
sparky_hi_fs1
stu_fs1
tango_fs1
warble_fs1

I unziped them all into Freespace2\Fs1Port and ran the launcher, selected the folder and told it to run fs2_open_367.exe. The game starts just fine, the voices are all there the ships look great once the game starts, but there are no weapons on the ship that I start with. When I look at the ship selection noting shows up. It shows two X's over where mine and Alpha 2's ship should be (they are the right ship). If I try to go to weapon loadout the game crashes to desktop. I tried doing this without the Launcher, copying all the files into the appropriate data folders, but I wasn't sure where to put fsport3_0_3. This worked a little better, but the starting ship was wrong and there were still no weapons although the weapon selection didn't crash the game.
It just seems like the game can't read/find the weapon/ship tables. I don't know how to unpack the files to see if the tables are in there.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I'm starting to think that the game doesn't want me to fight... Pacifist Freespace, what a concept. :)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
FSPort files contain all necessary files, so unpacking them is not needed. Further, the files don't need a sub-folder at all, they _all_ exist in the Fs1Port folder. All of them. Try renaming Fs1Port to fsport. Also, you should run greater than 3.6.7.exe.....while the fsport files are made for 3.6.7, later versions offer better.

Also, while not necessary, the mediavp's are also a good thing to have, and they all should go into the Freespace2\mediavps folder.

All new (Post 3.6.7 builds) can be found In this forum category. RC5 has a problem where shields don't recharge. Grab the multi_test.rar (Unnoficially RC6, downloadable in the Release Candidate 5 thread) or any redmenace build of 20060712 or later.

*EDIT*
I also rename 2 of the files to ensure ascendancy (make sure they will get used properly).
I rename fsport-fs1_training.vp to fsport_fs1_training.vp & fsport-missions.vp to fsport_missions.vp.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline NFITC1

Everytime I try to open the 3.6.9 builds (even this multi-test) I get this error:

"The procedure entry point alcGetString could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenAL32.dll"

I didn't have OpenAL32.dll so I dled it from some other site. I'm not sure what it does, but it's not working.

OK, ignore that. I installed Open AL (which I was not told to do btw). Now the weapon menu doesn't crash the game, but it has a picture of an empty Ulysses as the ship and some cap ship where it should be displaying something about the weapon. There's still no weapon listed in either column on the left.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:08:39 am by NFITC1 »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Did you install the (download link) OpenAL? As downloading only the missing dll is not enough (iirc)

EDIT: missed your edit... sorry

Do following then.. Run the game. When it starts create a new pilot before you go to the main hall. Click on the select campaign menu and then select FreeSpace Port (or what ever it was named) from the list and accept it. Then try again.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:26:44 am by Wanderer »

Offline NFITC1

YAY! Wanderer wins!!
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll FINALLY be able to play the original again. :D Oddly enough, I lost Freespace1, I stil have Silent Threat and FS2, however.
I also dl'd the cutscenes in avi format, is there anyway to integrate them into the game or should I just watch them as I go along?

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
YAY! Wanderer wins!!
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll FINALLY be able to play the original again. :D Oddly enough, I lost Freespace1, I stil have Silent Threat and FS2, however.
I also dl'd the cutscenes in avi format, is there anyway to integrate them into the game or should I just watch them as I go along?

If you are still using the 3.6.7 then as long as they are placed in the correct folder, (i.e. Data/Movies) then the cutscenes should work, I'm not sure about 3.6.9 as this is now set up to view the original MVE files? It may still work for you though. Good luck and have fun!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
3.6.9 will play the original MVE files, as will builds past a certain date. And to make sure they're playing appropriately, they should go into fsport\data\movies. You _might_ have an issue where the last cutscene movie doesn't play on time, simply relaunch from the flight deck to play it.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline NFITC1

It all works now! Cutscenes and all. I'm running into that problem with no recharging shields and that makes some of the missions real annoying. I don't remember much about the original, but were the Hammer of Light ships supposed to be shielded in the mission where you have to capture the Ramses and destroy their cargo? The briefing said they weren't, but I didn't complete the mission.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
You could try the multi_test build taylor posted some time ago...

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40886.msg836603.html#msg836603

Everytime I try to open the 3.6.9 builds (even this multi-test) I get this error:

"The procedure entry point alcGetString could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenAL32.dll"

I didn't have OpenAL32.dll so I dled it from some other site. I'm not sure what it does, but it's not working.

OK, ignore that. I installed Open AL (which I was not told to do btw). Now the weapon menu doesn't crash the game, but it has a picture of an empty Ulysses as the ship and some cap ship where it should be displaying something about the weapon. There's still no weapon listed in either column on the left.

Oh man my bad about the open Al, its been years since I had to install that one.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Quote from: NFITC1
I don't remember much about the original, but were the Hammer of Light ships supposed to be shielded in the mission where you have to capture the Ramses and destroy their cargo? The briefing said they weren't, but I didn't complete the mission.

Yes, there _are_ shielded HOL ships in that mission that show up or warp in after you start your assault. Had you completed the mission successfully, that would have been mentioned in the debriefing.

¤[D+¬>