Author Topic: Some new guy questions  (Read 8242 times)

Some new guy questions
Ok I have the Original freespace on disk and I just recently found this site.
And I have a couple of questions
1) what do I need to play freespace port? Can I upgrade from the original freespace?
2) is it multiplayer?
3) should I burn it onto a disk ?

All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Re: Some new guy questions
Gunnery Contol, open fire!

:welcome:

We hope you enjoy your stay at HLP. Exits are located in many different places, however all of them are blocked so they're no good. In emergencies, flamethrowers are located under all seats, but due to budget cuts have been filled with holy water. Other weapons are stored in the lockers, which may only be opened by an admin, :v: god, or hyper-intelligent shade of blue. Do not mention the letters "FS" followed by the number "3", because this makes people very angry. Do not go crawling through any ducts, unless you have a strong urge to have a near-death experience at the claws of Carl, our resident Shivan. If you do meet him, throw him your lunch, he likes that. Thank you and enjoy your stay!

Answers to questons:
1.I assume you mean Freespace 1. Most everything here is used with FS2. To play the Freespace Port you need to ask someone other than me. The only "upgrade" is really the FS2Open engine, visit the Recent Builds forum to learn more.
2. There is multiplayer, but I don't know how it works. Read http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/intro.html for more information.
3. All files available here require no disk burning. Simply keep them in your main FS2 folder.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Thanks I'll keep those things in mind and keep a couple head of Terrain cattle around for sombody's lunch, LOL
Another stupid question, where in the world can I find Freespace 2 at? I found freespace 1 at thrift store.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Thanks I'll keep those things in mind and keep a couple head of Terrain cattle around for sombody's lunch, LOL
Another stupid question, where in the world can I find Freespace 2 at? I found freespace 1 at thrift store.

Please read Karajorma's FAQ. This is your BEST starting friend.

A very very brief intro.
FS2 is the continuation of FS1 but it really has a much better engine. When Volition dissapeared they published the source code of FS2. Since then, SCP (Source Code Project) crew has UPDATED AND ENHACED, (yes in capital bold letters), the game in an incredible way. So:

+ Get original FS2. Install it and patch it to version 1.2. This would be the final retail edition.
+ Get SCP and install enhacements:
    - The launcher (latest version is 5.4). Allows you to set game options as example Graphics API (always use OGL although retail FS2 is a D3D game, D3D has no support nowadays).
    - The FS Open executable. It's the new exe that replaces retail game. Pick 3.6.9. RC4
    - The media vps. They're the enhaced effects, ship models, etc. Latest is 3.6.8. zeta
+ Get the mods you want. Port is an example. It takes FS1 missions converted to be played within FS2.
+ Play, play and play. If you find errors ask for help but remember that they can also be bugs. Post them in Mantis

I insist, please read Karajorma's FAQ. FS2 open can be a little tricky at the begining. But this game is the best space combat sim ever made. So it's really worth to spend a little of time at the begining till you get used to it.

Enjoy it and ask your dudes without trouble, (but please try searching a little in the Fourms first, take notice that SCP gurus are sometimes fed up of answering the same question again and again). And as previouly said you can ask about anything but FS3 (although with SCP work, Derelict, Inferno and much others, who misses it?)

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Ok call me a stuipd old man, but I can't find anywhere on teh net to purchase freespace 2, so will the demo and the 1.2 patch work?

You question is answered in Karajorma's faq.

I musta missed that, I'll go read it again. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I musta missed that, I'll go read it again. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/general.html#WhereGetFS)
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

OK I searched teh internet till 3 this morning LOl ( yea, stupid, I know) All I can say is that when I either find the entire file, or finish teh 3 weeks of downloading torrents and combining them, I'm burning this game on a disk and keeping it in a safe place. ( just in case the opporunity to help somebody  arises ya know)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
How the crap are people thinking asking 89.95 or higher for this game is in any way "cool"? That's _well_ over it's original retail price by such a margin as to not even be funny. It'd better come with a lifetime warranty on the cds, latinum pressed box and a fully interactive and indestructable manual. Oh, and a free joystick. Or _something_.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00002EPYV/102-2753871-1476926?condition=all
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

I've seen far worse prices than $90 for FS2.... eBay (enough said).
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
OK I searched teh internet till 3 this morning LOl ( yea, stupid, I know) All I can say is that when I either find the entire file, or finish teh 3 weeks of downloading torrents and combining them, I'm burning this game on a disk and keeping it in a safe place. ( just in case the opporunity to help somebody  arises ya know)

Don't worry, I used eMule and it took me 4 days...

I've seen far worse prices than $90 for FS2.... eBay (enough said).

No the worst part is that a year ago at wa; mart here in Va Beach, I found a set of computer games in the (.(5 rack that contained FS1 and FS2. But at the time I was getting really heavy into targetware ( WW2 multiplayer combat flight sim) so I didn't get it, kicking myself in the arese now, cause after finding FS1 and playing it, dling the FS2 Demo I want he whoe ball of wax game LOL
For some reason teh space games have more intrest than WW2 to me. Probally cause of my age.

Ok You guys here might know the answer to this question since the other game I play their all clueless.
I have found a place to downl;oad FS2, but its in 3 rar parts about 688meg a piece. Now I know I need teh disk in teh cdrom drive to play the game, but in stead of a cd is it possible to burn all 3 rar parts onto a dvd in stead, that way I can have everything on one disk?

I don't think you should need to burn anything to a CD. Just place everything in the FS2 folder...

Oh really? even though their all 3 bin and cue files? This FS2 thing is really starting to get intresting just finding it all, but I'm gonna tell you all right now I played FS1 for a while and its WAY better than the WW2 combat flight sims.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You can run .bin and .cue files directly using something like DaemonTools.  But it's helpful to keep actual CDs around.

I don't think you can put them all onto one DVD directly; I think you'd have to extract them and move stuff around first.

I just got an email from the place I downloaded them from, He said I need to set up a virtual drive and run them with daemon tools. ok I can do this I got a bunch of programs on here that just sit waiting for occosians like this.
But I am putting the bin's on disks to keep safe.

Well so much for setting up a virtual drive, computer does not like that one single bit! Guess its time to continue the holy quest for FS2 on a disk like it was in stores

Well, I guess try eBay, but keep in mind it'll be somewhere around $80-$100.