Author Topic: Some new guy questions  (Read 8248 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Some new guy questions
Well so much for setting up a virtual drive, computer does not like that one single bit! Guess its time to continue the holy quest for FS2 on a disk like it was in stores

Dude... you can burn the .bin/.cue files to CD.

I know that, I have them on rewriteable disks right now, only problem is theres 3 seperate disks that are 688 meg a piece, and neither aolchol 120 or daemon tools will work properly on my computer. And without a virtual drive I can only run 2 disk drives at one time, while 3 driver  are needed.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:wtf: You don't need all three disks in the computer at the same time.  Just burn them one at a time.

Well, I guess try eBay, but keep in mind it'll be somewhere around $80-$100.

<more like try thrift stores and pawn shops around here. I found FS1 in cash converters for $2, I'm sure that somewhere in the Hampton Roads area theres a store that has FS2

:wtf: You don't need all three disks in the computer at the same time.  Just burn them one at a time.

Ok so if I burn all 3 which one do I need in the drive? And where do I keep the other 2 ziped bin files at?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
You burn each of the three to thier own cd. Then you start with disc 1 to install, go through all 3 discs to install and start the game with disc 1 (or is it 2??)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

You start the game with disc 2, and disc 3 later on. Disc 1 is just an installation package.

Not that it really matters if you get FSOpen. That will run without any discs in the drive at all.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Well gentlemen thank you very much, I have the idea now, and I got daemon tools to work on my system so right now I actually have FS2 up and running :) not bad for an old man huh?
I tried burning it onto 1 dvd, but all that did was make a coffeecup coaster LOL
Its going on 3 disks as soon as I post this, then I'll try runing it without daemon tools and see what happens, but I will have all 3 disks ready if anybody needs the game, I have winrar on my computer and I know of several upload sites that are free, so if anybody new ( like me ) or experienced players needs FS2 email me and I will rar it and up it

email is    [email protected]

Thanks again for all the help, I'll be dling the ports and other stuff here soon and try it online :).

( finally a game that I don't fly into trees )

You might crash into asteroids though  :p
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

I'd seriously suggest installing FS2 and patching it, then burning the installed software (ie, your /fs2 directory) to a disk.  SCP doesn't need any retail registry stuff, and the three-disk install is just irritating.  I've done a Shivan and burnt a dvd with all the campaigns I like on it, so I don't have to clean install from FS2 disks anymore. :D

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
@Pnakotus: I've done the same thing here. _MUCH_ easier and faster. :)
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

You might crash into asteroids though  :p

Maybe but at least the people here are more advanced and more likeable :)

I'd seriously suggest installing FS2 and patching it, then burning the installed software (ie, your /fs2 directory) to a disk.  SCP doesn't need any retail registry stuff, and the three-disk install is just irritating.  I've done a Shivan and burnt a dvd with all the campaigns I like on it, so I don't have to clean install from FS2 disks anymore. :D

I got the patch, I'll redo the disks later on, (rewritables) I got the 3 virt drives on the comp so I don't need thedisks either, I'm just keeping the disks for later use or for anybody else that needs them. I have FS2 on rewritables and FS1 on retail disk.

That works too.  Copying off a dvd is just a one-step, start-and-walk-away proposition.  And you never have to see the appalling splash screens or get assaulted by the preview video again! :)

However, if you want to keep them for others, isn't it easier to not burn them and leave them as images?  Who doesn't have portable storage these days? :)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Leaving them as images can consume hdd space though for those of us that don't have a lot of flash drives just lying around. Archiving them to cd for later is a good idea as long as the cd's are storaged well. Don't have to worry about magnetics, just heat and humidity (depending on the media used).

¤[D+¬>

I got every thing, includeing the opening film, I like watching it sometimes, I'm a game movie fan LOL.

I don't need teh bin files anymore, the 3 disks are the same size as the bin files were, and I can always winrar them

Now fo rthr FS2 port and everything else on the download page :). See you guys online someday soon LOL

OK I played it till 1am this morning :) OMG the graphice and detail are freakin GREAT!

Now for the next stupid question from me, How do I play online against others? when I click the online button all I get is a place for a pxo acct login and password
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 05:38:11 pm by wolfen »

Thank you, when I tried linking from the faq page, it wouldn't load up, when I use your link it works fine :)

Ok I downloaded all the stuff that the faq said to download, but theres no where to make an acct. but I think I made an online game cause I was flying around, but when I try to join a game in multiplayer theres no servers listed, I'm useing the FS2 open cause the Tom's Build did a major CTD.
And teh faq doesn't say weather or not I even have to make an acct anywhere. So am I doing this right so far? if I am where are the multiplayer rooms at LOL.

Believe it or not I'm actually not this stupid, I just usually do the end user thing. This is the first one I'va actually had to do research on. I gotta start flying in FS soon 1 more tree and I'm gona develope a drinking problem.