Author Topic: I`m new to this......  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Kernal

I`m new to this......
......type of thing. I decided if I ever was going to be more then a nemb here I would try to make a campaign. This however came crashing down on me after half way through the first mission. So I set my standards alittle lower. I decided converting one of my favorite FS1 campaign  Aftermath. Converting wasn`t a big deal until the tables hit me. Fs2_open doesn`t like it. I have the TBLView (light Edition) but, it doesn`t do me any good. Is there any other tool I can use? This one isn`t released yet. Should I just edit it with word pad like it tells me here?
“I am mighty!  I have a glow you cannot see.  I have a heart as big as the moon!  As warm as bath water!  We are superheroes, men; we don't have time to be charming!  The boots of evil are made for walkin'!  We're watching the big picture friend!  We know the score!  We are a public service, not glamour boys! Yeah! Not captains of industry, not makers of things, keep your vulgar monies! We are a justice sandwich, no toppings necessary. Living rooms of America, do you catch my drift? Do you dig?”- The Tick

Re: I`m new to this......
If you're making a campaign you MUST know how tables work.
Check the Wiki it has loads of lovely data on the subject.
I'm self-taught in the art of table editing...after many long hours of modifying, testing, error-checking... it's tedious.
And yes, I've found Notepad to be extremely effective with tables. I have TBLView but the damned program's a useless hunk of code.

If you're trying to add something, use modular tables (.tbm's). If you're just converting retail tables to FSOpen, get rid of the $ND tags first, they aren't used in Open.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Kernal

Sounds like fun. :doubt: The tables I have to convert or remake are Music and weopons. The ships table works fine so far. It complains alittle but, either then that works ok. I however haven`t tested it much though.....

“I am mighty!  I have a glow you cannot see.  I have a heart as big as the moon!  As warm as bath water!  We are superheroes, men; we don't have time to be charming!  The boots of evil are made for walkin'!  We're watching the big picture friend!  We know the score!  We are a public service, not glamour boys! Yeah! Not captains of industry, not makers of things, keep your vulgar monies! We are a justice sandwich, no toppings necessary. Living rooms of America, do you catch my drift? Do you dig?”- The Tick

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Get somethng better than notepad though... For example Araneae or Crimson Editor
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Those are all nice editors. And they all have fairly potent features. Sometimes though, there can be _too_ many features, depending on what you're doing or wanting to get done at the time.

Myself, for a straight forward, no-frills plaintext editor I go to this site and grab Editor² (in pre-XP) or Editor²UC (for unicode, XP/2K3). Handles larger files than wordpad, is almost as small as notepad and with some files (especially files that use unprintable characters as a digital signature method) it doesn't mess with the non printable characters. It also doesn't store font information, though it provides you with the ability to specify 2 different fonts for rendering the view. Even nicer, the exe is totally standalone, no "installer" needed.

I like it so much, it's replaced the default windows notepad.exe on my XP cd.    ;7
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There's a better way IMHO.  Look for the extra table entries in the Aftermath ships.tbl.  (I think they only added one or two extra ships.)  Put that in a modular table file in the same location as the FSPort mod.  Then use FRED2_Open to import the FS1 missions in the normal way.  Voila, done. :)

Offline Kernal

Thanks for the help so far guys. :)

I got the music table Straightened out.
(off to do the ships and weopons)

oh..
I just found out the creater of this campaign was our fellow member Icefire. Do I have permission to fix your campaign? I`ll stop if you don`t want me to.  :nervous:

Offline Kernal

UPDATE:

Music.tbl: Done!
Ship.tbl :  Almost done
               A few more tests.....
Weopons.tbl: I decided to get rid of it because todays weopons look a lot better.  :rolleyes:

Beta testing/ fixing bugs in missions: 15%

Nebulae/ plates: 0%

Story:
Command desperately attempts to contain the plague in the Epsilon Pegasi system. A quarantine is placed upon the system and the pilots onboard the GTI special operations destroyer GTD Ark Royal are tasked with keeping the quarantine. At all costs.

Does anyone know icefire`s Email? I don`t feel comfortable doing this without his permission.  :nervous:

You could do a search in the "Members" area of the site and PM him.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Go for it! Thanks for asking. Just provide credit where its due and that should be fine.  Infact, let me know when its finished and we'll see about running it through the Cold Element website with BWO and everything else (a work in progress at the moment admitedly).
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."