Author Topic: Surviving Pandora's Box?  (Read 5694 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Surviving Pandora's Box?
For one or two of the missions. I never used the Ulysses, that piece of junk sucks ...
You have to realize its advantage: its lateral (L-R) axis turn rate is phenomenal.  So, tip up on your side, and pound those suckers!  FYI the Ulysses can pretty much chase its own tail when turning horizontally, (but not vertically).

BTW, of course you have to have your mouse/joystick set to be sensitive enough.  Me, I crank the sens. up to the max.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Ulysses sucks because it's slower than the Valk, has terrible missile placement (I used to be a dumbfire junkie...), it has slower turning rate than the Valk (or whatever), etc. etc.

I only used it twice on my first run through the entire FS and FS2 campaigns (both during FS1, of course).

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
But unlike Valk or Herc, Ulysses looks good. Thats enought reason to fly it. :D
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Wach'a talkin about....

The Herc is the best looking fighter... ever.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No, the GTF Donut is the best looking fighter.

Ignore the above.

Anyway, I think the Herc looks cool except for those weird black plates on the side 'pods'. They could be there to dump excess waste heat or something, i guess.

And the Ulysses looks like a flying tea-tray in the sky... ;)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, obviously someone in the GTVA liked the Ulysses, since it managed to stay in service through the Second Great War. :p I've never minded flying the Ulysses myself; while it doesn't have the blazing-fast speed of the Valkyrie, it's still the second-fastest ship available to you in FS1, and its thin profile means that you're much less likely to get hit than in something like a Herc.  (The few times I've taken on enemy Ulysses...es in various campaigns have not been the most pleasant of experiences.)  And damn, can that ship turn. :) If I had to go head-to-head against a bunch of Dragons, my ship of choice would be the Ulysses; it's the only thing in the GTA's arsenal that even comes close to being able to match them move-for-move.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
When fighting a dragon the #1 rule is to NOT dogfight them... that's their element

Draw them into making strafing runs.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Yes.

Though the Avenger says "low shield damage", it is at this point the best weapon you have for blasting shields into nothingness. The ML-16 should read "practically nonexistant sheild damage". 8)

So: use Avengers. Try to keep Shivans in your sights. That's the best advice I have.

So loading up the wingmen with all Avengers would improve their lifespan, eh? :)
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

A little....

Note Part 2 of my advice: "Keep Shivans in in your sights". Let's see FS's wingmen do that for longer than five seconds.   :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"