Author Topic: 3D Shockwaves -- suggestion.  (Read 3241 times)

Offline miskat

3D Shockwaves -- suggestion.
Alright... forgive me if this is a repost or has been discussed before, but hey... I just blew up a very large boat and the shockwave was very, very nice and it got me thinking.  XD

The 3D shockwave in effect now seems to be (to my uneducated mind) simple a 2D shockwave used several times on different planes.  But why not a true 3D shockwave using an expanding radius sphere effect?  Basically the same style coloring and effects as the current shockwave, but applyed to a phere instead.

Dunno, that just seems more true-3D to me.  As well as perhaps a tad more realistic.  (But that could be where my lack of physics education shows up.  XD)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: 3D Shockwaves -- suggestion.
That's an interesting idea but would look bad and invariable if you had multiple shockwaves.

Offline miskat

I'm not sure what you mean.  If two shockwave-inducing ships were destroyed near each other... hmm... well, there are a proverbial ton of effects you could induce, but honestly... I'd say just have the images overlap and move on their way.  I'm not sure how detailed the physics engine is, but if you just ignore it, that's OK too... afterall it's just supposed to look pretty.

But you use the word "invariable" whcih makes me think that I'm missing some important piece of information.  Do shockwaves have the ability to modify other shockwaves?  I'd be suprised... that's pretty detailed physics.  O.O

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
How will we see explosion through spherical shockwave?  :confused:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
By invariable I mean boring. It would look the same as 2d shockwaves. I believe Nukemod was going to have a spherical shockwave.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There's nothing stopping you from having a 3D shockwave. In fact if you look at the current one you'll notice that it is a 3D shockwave. Just a flatish round one.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
IIRC, attempts to make completely spherical shockwaves have resulted in visible polygon edges, which become more visible as the sockwave expands.  It had crossed my mind that a planular shockwave shaped more like the outside edge of a doughnut might look cool, kinda like the explosion seen at the beginning of Star Trek VI.  Granted, it might look better as a triple pulse shockwave, of differing colors.  That said, talk about memory drain.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline miskat

D'oh!  Very good point, I forgot that circles, though they LOOK like circles, are just polygons with a very very high number of sides.  I feel silly now.  >.<

Of course, the only fix would be to increase the number of sides the "circle/sphere" has and make sure it fades before the sides actually become noticable.

Ah well... I just saw the Galatae blow up for the first time, and honestly, I'm content with that massive number of shockwaves and explosions.  Very pleasing... though I will miss the Galatae.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there is a spherical shockwave, that was in fact the origonal file the effect was tested with.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
try this one

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together