Author Topic: ARG! Rotating objects  (Read 7473 times)

Offline AZONIC

ARG! Rotating objects
ok I put the rotate=40 on the object in MM why wont it rotate then  
i don't play freespace

Offline AZONIC

Wait did I put the $ on it..... brb!
i don't play freespace

Offline AZONIC

No i did, there is soposed to be a $rotate=30 on it right?  And I did put it to rotate around the X axis

2. What is the max polly count in FS2?
i don't play freespace

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
FS2 supports about 1000 polys per subobject, after that it gets really slow and after that it begins to crash. Of course, FS2 doesn't like subobjects either (except the ones by Volition), so it's hard to make something large with detail.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Jake Logan

it doesn't allow more than 800 polys per sub object.

------------------
"I like tomatoes because they are so red"-Daveb

You'll need to specify the object that's rotating in the ships.tbl entry for that ship as a subsystem, eg:

$radar 1.0 0.0 (I think this is right)

The first number is the percentage of damage of the hitpoints for the ship that the radar in this cas can take, the second number is speed at which it rotates - though I think thats only for turrets, radars and such use the info you've put in FSMM2 for that object.

Look at the entry for the Orion, it's got references to the large rotating radars on it, hope that helps.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Robin Varley:
Look at the entry for the Orion, it's got references to the large rotating radars on it, hope that helps.

This is a good example of one of the most efficient ways to learn the ways of modding - if you can't get something to work, find a place where it works, and copy it, adjusting it to your needs.   Weapon modders would die without that  

Offline AZONIC

The model is currently 1200 polys, it will be 1300 when the model is done, will it still work?

If so than can't I make LODs to fasten the game up? how do I do those?

Thanks all for the help

Oh and can I make a rotating object  inside the other object? but have it stick out?
i don't play freespace

Offline AZONIC

BTW_The colossus is almost 2000 polys, I will easily be able to do a model that has 1400 poly with LODS right?

------------------
United Space
-United Space Downloads coming soon-
-Star-Trek Mod site coming soon-
i don't play freespace

i think most of the destroyers in FS2 are around 1300 or so poly's so you should be ok,  to make LODs you have to name the object that's gonna be the LOD detaila for the first level after the close up one ( you want it fairly similar to main one cos this is the one that appears in your target window ) and then detailb, detailc for the other two.

Now the question is, are you using Truspace?, because I know to get the model to work you have to have the bits and pieces in the right order or hierachy you can find out your current hierachy in truspace ( at least in truespace 2 anyway ) by looking at the animation properties box.  You want the order going down the screen to look something like this:

hull
turret01
turret02
radar
detaila
detailb
detailc
debrisa
debrisb
(shields go here)

don't panic if the're not in order, it's easy to correct, simply save each individual bit as a seperate object, then open a new scene an load them up in the right order starting with the hull. ( That last bit took me a few months to think of, and it was a right hassle sorting it out I tell you - just proves simple ideas aren't always the first you think of. )

You then have to open the saved object/scene in a hex editor and do a ANSI search for detaila and change it to detail1 - do this for the others then save the changes.

Then hopefully when COB2POF runs it should make them LODs - you can easily check using segultech

Note, that you might be able to name them detail1 etc, straight away if you've got truspace 4, to check, once you renamed select a different object and then go back if it's now called detail,1 you will have to call it detaila and do the hex editing, which isn't that difficult really, just remember to make lots of copies of your work before you do anything you're not sure about.

oh, and then of course you have to specify the LODs in the ships table entry under detail distance simply copy those form another ship which is of a similar size.

I think my fingers are about to drop off...

before they do,

Rotating obects can stick out of each other, theres no collisions to worry about, technically turrets I've done wouldn't work if that was the case.

The only problem I've had to o with the size of the model is in using COB2POF ( suddenly I remeber that it might be called COB2FS2, but still you know what I mean, I hope..).

The problem is if the file is over a certain size, around 210 kb it wont convert it.  It gets so far and hangs, or in the case of the windows one crashes - which incidently can only take models even smaller than the COB2FS2 and takes a huge amount of time longer as well, so use COB2FS2.

good luck, I haven't done anything as big in polys as what you're doing.

Any chance of a screen shot, not that I know how to add one to a forum post.

ADDED:

You're not talking about the impressivly large and excessivly cool looking Bastion 2 model are you?

[This message has been edited by Robin Varley (edited 01-30-2001).]

Offline AZONIC

The Bastion nope sorry  But, I will tell you the polly count of the Bastion as of yet it is 1878, but this is the model before Psycho changed it, haven't got that one yet.

Thanks for your help!  I am going to convert my model now I'll tell you what happens!

------------------
United Space
-United Space Downloads coming soon-
-Star-Trek Mod site coming soon-
i don't play freespace

Offline AZONIC

WOW-I just found out how to make more than one object into one subobject, i didnt know how to do that before, everything would be subobjects  The way to do it is not gluing them but converting the scene in bod2pof right? well i did that and it worked  I can now fix my old models

But.......I wanted to have submodels  When I tried to make a submodel instead of making the two rotating things and the hull it made one rotating thing and another attacked to the hull.  So how do I make submodels properly?

Do you have ICQ or AIM?
i don't play freespace

Offline AZONIC

Image, here!  You can see the two things that are supposed to rotate.  There is a huge poly number it could be smaller if I redid it, but it came our like I drew it a year ago.  
i don't play freespace

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Looks like a mean cruiser class. Thats what it is, right? Whatever it is it looks uberl33t  
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you need to glue lights to single objects that you want to be seperate subobjects. and most destroiers in FS have a poly count of about 500, then they have turrets added on, turrets are about half the polys in most models.

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and set it to rotate around the Y axis.

------------------
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Bobboau:
you need to glue lights to single objects that you want to be seperate subobjects.

This is something I was never quite sure about. Why do you have to glue lights to them?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it has to do with the fact that TS doesn't have a real perent child system, so something has to be part of an abstract groupe that is a sibling to the main hull i order for it to be diferentiated.

so basicly Lights are used by Cob2fs2 to maintain the higherarcy.

------------------
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i've been looking at hierarchy traces of pof2cob's [any of them, they use the same conversion code] output.. meh kills some of the hierarchy really baaaaaaad

------------------
Did you say you wanted your head used as a soccer ball?
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir