Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Modding Workshop

Modding Philosophy - Models

<< < (2/5) > >>

Admiral:
I've fiddled with paper and a pencil with designs of spaceships and stuff, and I seem to find that those I like the best are those that are simple but have a couple of distinguishing features.  You can see this in the Orion, with the hanger on the side, whereas, like Shrike says, the Hecate is too complex (ie. too many distinguishing features).

I've only seen symmetry really along the y-axis (or is it z?), like the Fenris, but I've made acouple of designs using the x-axis, with the top and bottom the same but different features on either side.

My favourite ship is the Deimos, and from a modelling point of view it is because it has logical postioning of turrets while looking like something that came move under its own power instead of being 'pushed' or 'pulled'.

------------------
"All empires Fall. You just have to know where to push."

Martinus:
When I started model building a guy gave me a piece of advice that really helped me out, he said that a low poly model with good texs. can equal or better a high poly model with OK texs. It makes a lot of sense and it's a good rule to design and build by!

Instead of actually building a ship from a detailed drawing I try to draw what it would look like if all of the fine detail is taken away. Once the model is built it's a lot simpler (not to mention faster) to add the nice details with texs. Note that most of the realistic ships are fairly simple in overall design.

Also, in my opinion it's a bad idea to try to build a model of an existing ship until you have done a few original models of your own.

------------------
Sushido - The way of the tuna...

AZONIC:
Like Shrike I think the simple models are sometimes better.   The four latest models I have moade do no reach 300 polys (exept the Zagreus) When I redid the Obassi formally Salk because it was 1400 polys I learned how to make it in 200, and it looks better than the original.  Although I like rounded designs I also like squarer ones, you will see with 3 new models I have made.

Styxx:
Modelling is not a science, it's an art.

You must keep your model inside a boundary, expressed by the polycount and texture size, but you can do anything inside the established ranges. The main idea when modelling is to create something you think looks cool. That's the principle on any kind of art.

You may, of course, follow the previously set of design rules created for a specified group of models, like on Freespace, Terran, Vasudan and Shivan vessels. Or you may drif away from these rules, combining concepts from more than one group or creating new concepts from scratch. If the model reflects what you wanted it to be, then it's good. If it reflects the functionality of what it would be on real life, then it's very good. If it reflects what most of the people who sees it wanted it to be, then it's an incredible piece of work. It's that simple.

Fineus:
It's true that modelling is an art, but before you set out on creating any model you want to think "do I want this functional, or good looking, or a combination of both if possible?". Having made that desicion you can often greatly change the course of how your model will look.

I've never modelled before, but I imagine thats how I'd work if I did, theres no point in making a great looking model that is totally useless on any conflict (look at the Hecate, a really good ship - but terrible at fighting anything).

------------------
Webmaster: Hard Light Productions
Staffer and P1mp: Ross128   Sounds of Thunder
Fight the future!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version